Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I recall dvoice saying the opposite of you mate.

Also will say one thing people haven’t raised. If it’s true he’s on 600k roughly at panthers and the cap is now confirmed this year (his contracted season with panthers) is a 20% cap jump. We all expect 24 to be higher again.

That’s 720k under todays cap. Next seasons once again higher.

Just in % on cap scaling…
Not really as the new benefited the min and development contract which almost double.

So there is no automatic percentage increase and you only place ratchet clauses in when required and would be minimal.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bro fuck this cunt lol thinking he's the premier journalist of the nrl lol
Welcome to TK, nice first post, pretty fair and balanced analysis, so you are sure to get shredded. Personally I've always been ok with Panthers going good, us westies have to have each others backs, excluding the parrascum of course...
Showed too much intelligence he surely won't be back
Is this your inner love for the eel coming out?
He twerk for eel

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
unpaywalled version of Chamma's story anyone, please?
\

Why Crichton decided to leave Penrith the night before they made an offer
Michael Chammas

ByMichael Chammas
January 17, 2023 — 11.45am

Penrith were scheduled to speak with Stephen Crichton’s management on Monday to put forward an offer that they had been working on.
They didn’t even get the chance to talk. On the eve of the meeting Stephen Crichton phoned Panthers coach Ivan Cleary to tell him that he was going to move on at the end of the season. The next morning he informed his teammates.

Crichton never heard Penrith’s new offer. Instead a press release was sent out announcing his departure from the club at the end of 2023 at around the time the meeting was scheduled to take place.
The fact that the Panthers didn’t even get to put forward an offer only adds to speculation that a deal is done at the Canterbury Bulldogs, where former teammates Matt Burton and Viliame Kikau now reside.

There have been concerns at Penrith for some time that Crichton’s tenure at the club was likely coming to an end.
The Daily Telegraph last week reported that Crichton’s camp was “growing concerned that the club prioritised the re-signings of teammates Liam Martin, Brian To’o and Izack Tago”.
Stephen Crichton is heading elsewhere in 2024.

Stephen Crichton is heading elsewhere in 2024.CREDIT:SYDNEY MORNING HERALD
This despite the Panthers putting forward an offer to Crichton’s management company in May.
Panthers sources told the Herald at the time that Crichton had been offered a three-year deal.
Advertisement

Around that time, the club also moved to secure Izack Tago and winger Brian To’o — both managed by the same company as Crichton. Negotiations with Crichton were parked.
It seemed a calculated move from his management considering Crichton was on the cusp of making his State of Origin debut and adding an estimated $100,000 to his name. That will now be close to a $300,000 payrise by the time he signs a new deal at a rival club.
Crichton with close friends Brian To’o and Jarome Luai.

Crichton with close friends Brian To’o and Jarome Luai.CREDIT:SYDNEY MORNING HERALD
So Penrith waited. They waited through an Origin series, a finals series and a World Cup — not to mention a CBA negotiation that meant clubs were unaware of how much money they could actually spend.
They waited right until the club had determined their salary cap position, which was only approved by the NRL last week. It wasn’t until then Penrith knew what they could offer Crichton.

The deal wouldn’t have matched up to the expectations of his management, who had been telling clubs Crichton is worth $800,000 a season, and that was before the NRL announced an 18-per-cent increase in the salary cap.
It was only going to be a short-term deal. There was no interest in a long-term extension from Crichton’s management.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pl...requests-as-feud-lingers-20230116-p5ccve.html
The unusual extension request was another indicator to Penrith that their man was gone before he even got to hear their offer (believed to be worth around $750,000).
The Bulldogs will deny a deal has been done with Crichton. New Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has privately maintained that he won’t chase players from his old club, Penrith.

That he would only pursue them once they had decided to move on. That time has come. While no one at Penrith will question Ciraldo’s character, there are very few who think Crichton would walk out on his junior club without a deal elsewhere. Or at the very least a promise of a deal.
Crichton though, has told those close to him, that he is disappointed with how the Panthers handled contract negotiations. Perhaps he’s more upset than people think.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol and I thought I was the only person who thought this
Nah I said awhile ago he eluded to stuff but doesn’t clarify anything then when something happens acts as if that’s what it was.

Not saying he doesn’t know shit. Just certainly hasn’t proved anything like Steve.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really as the new benefited the min and development contract which almost double.
So there is no automatic percentage increase and you only place ratchet clauses in when required and would be minimal.
There is still a bit hanging on how much of the RLPA demands the NRL agrees to, or doesn't agree to. The RLPA (and the players personally) are pissed off at the NRL, not doing pre season media work is just the start, so they won't be giving in easily.

The vanilla NRL contract has a standard ratchet clause, which some clubs keep in, most remove altogether as it makes Cap management difficult, and a small number have their own ratchet clauses.

Always a Bulldog

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems weird the panthers have released this statement. Can’t remember them ever doing this especially a year out.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bro fuck this cunt lol thinking he's the premier journalist of the nrl lol

Showed too much intelligence he surely won't be back

He twerk for eel
One of the worst journos i’ve seen, he legit likes hate comments of other teams. As a journalist within the NRL, yes you can have a team but surely you have to be more professional and not shit on other teams like he has countless times.

PantherMagic

Waterboy
Reaction score
Welcome mate as many have said you're most welcome here anytime.This summary of Stephen Chrichton is great and how a good majority of us think about him, he will be super for us I'm pretty confident.Some give him shit about the arrogance well I'm sure when he is doing this for us there will be no hate only love..you have summed up that all perfectly too imo.
We look forward to rising up and hopefully matching your talented footy team in the next 2 years, you still have many fantastic players so a good season beckons for certain again this year.

And yes we are definitely going places except for the halfback issue..Couldn't spare Nathan for say a couple of months could ya? :tearsofjoy:
Would love to say yes but I think Gus has some shopping to do..Moses is the only viable option currently and I feel he is just agitating for more cash at the Slimes..hence why Chrighton will probably end at the Bulldogs at fullback with a short term fix in halfback in place until someone more suitable comes along. Geez, with Moses on deck, you lot would be deadset scary, Top 4 for sure. We have the same issue with Api leaving. Mitch Kenny and Soni Luke will be a fine stopgap but we are still on the hunt for a quality hooker if they dont kick on.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are they good? I need them for outside hate thongs
They're okay. They run narrow though so if you've got a chunky foot they might not slip on and off as cleanly as in the gif.

• Sad
Reactions: mez

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Would love to say yes but I think Gus has some shopping to do..Moses is the only viable option currentlyand I feel he is just agitating for more cash at the Slimes..hence why Chrighton will probably end at the Bulldogs at fullback with a short term fix in halfback in place until someone more suitable comes along. We have the same issue with Api leaving. Mitch Kenny and Soni Luke will be a fine stopgap but we are still on the hunt for a quality hooker if they dont kick on.
Moses and Crichton talking now to form with burto and Mahoney

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
22-year-old Crichton has 41 tries and 270 points in 76 games for the Panthers since his debut in 2019, winning two premierships from three grand final appearances.Crichton has also played three Origins for NSW and scored four tries in six Tests for Samoa to date.