Stephen Crichton’s contract standoff costs Penrith a pretty penny

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see $650k as being "overs" for Crichton, it's about the right amount based on his value to their team. If he continues on his current path, in 2 years it will be $800k.
2.2 million over 3 years and plus upgrade deal for this season 250k extra
Based on what I was told the $2.2m includes the $250k upgrade for this season, hence $650k per year.

Go Dogs

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's great to see a rival club having to pay overs to keep their local talent :grinning:
I have felt for a long while that clubs who find and develop their own players should have the best opportunity to keep them. Unfortunately that is not the case whilever we have the current system of a salary cap in place and chequebook Nick over Bondi way lurking around. Player managers as we know also play a huge part in driving up their clients salary and eventually the dam breaks.

Undoubtedly clubs also play the game of offering huge money to a player just so his current club is forced to go higher and stretch their cap to a point where a player or two has to be sacrificed.

A better system of talent equalisation more commensurate with modern times has to be invented by the inept NRL.But there are two things I know about the NRL admin. 1) They think the salary cap policed by the integrity unit is working. 2)They don't welcome constructive suggestions from fans who think they have come up with a better idea.

I wrote to them on three separate occasions with ideas and they didn't even have the courtesy to send a reply, not even a thank you for your correspondence.

They treat us fans like the proverbial mushroom.

The other thing the NRL has to do is tidy up the situation where players are allowed to sign for a new club before their contractual commitments to their current club are finished. Total b/s.

In that regard I dont blame Penrith one little bit for not releasing Burton. We have rolled over for guys like Klemmer. We shouldn't have.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The other thing the NRL has to do is tidy up the situation where players are allowed to sign for a new club before their contractual commitments to their current club are finished. Total b/s.
So what is your suggestion as an alternative?

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So what is your suggestion as an alternative?

Go Dogs
Leave it as it is with only difference being, a rookie signs a contract which states the last year is Player Option year.

That way if they show great improvement ala Burton and want to further their career and get a regular fg spot, they can.

The team losing the services of the up and comer, get $100k salary cap allowance from NRL.

Established players leave as is, as that situation usually sorts itself out, but any team releasing a homesick Hannant, or whinging Klem, or convicted Barba, or suspended Debellend, CHN, Fainu etc gets $100k pro rata of when offense occurs.

OR

Just leave it and have every single contract with the Player Option as their final year. They decide what to do with their career. Stay or go elsewhere. Every club in the same boat.

Thoughts, and abuse, to follow lol......

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I can't stand ivan, it's good to see a team other than the usuals (storm roosters etc) that has a team full of talent.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s good to see development rewarded. Riff put a lot into development and deserve some reward. I hope we go back to that sooner than later. We are in a position we have to buy now I understand, but I have confidence going forward in Barrett to get that balance write for us. Well done on this one Riff

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Leave it as it is with only difference being, a rookie signs a contract which states the last year is Player Option year.
That way if they show great improvement ala Burton and want to further their career and get a regular fg spot, they can.
The team losing the services of the up and comer, get $100k salary cap allowance from NRL.
Established players leave as is, as that situation usually sorts itself out, but any team releasing a homesick Hannant, or whinging Klem, or convicted Barba, or suspended Debellend, CHN, Fainu etc gets $100k pro rata of when offense occurs.
OR
Just leave it and have every single contract with the Player Option as their final year. They decide what to do with their career. Stay or go elsewhere. Every club in the same boat.
Thoughts, and abuse, to follow lol......
The problem with player options as I see it would be players not confirming whether they are exercising their option until the last minute (whenever that is). Leaving the club in the lurch, in that way it's no different to the current situation which is why player options are so rare. Clubs hate it as it can result in them missing out when their player decides to move on at the last minute and there are no suitable replacements available. Makes 1/2/3 year team planning next to impossible, could result in some clubs choosing simply not to sign rookies as it's just too hard to manage.

It simply places too much power in the players' hands, as result the clubs would never go for it.

In the context of the average contract value of the 30 players (ie; $320k) $100k additional Cap is not much of a penalty/incentive. Plus I'm not sure under what circumstances it is awarded. How is it determined in the player left of his own accord or the club pushed him out. Using Burton as an example, Penrith told him Cleary and Luai were above him and they recruited Momirovsky which removed the centre option from him. He could argue that Penrith forced him out, put players above him, making him play NSW Cup. Hence why should they get the $100k?

Not that it would make any difference in this case, Penrith wanted $650k (in Napa for free) so $100k wasn't going to get it done.

Go Dogs