Stephen Crichton’s contract standoff costs Penrith a pretty penny

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton’s contract standoff costs Penrith a pretty penny

Many thought Stephen Crichton was crazy to walk away from a $500K handshake deal, but the move is about to pay off big time.

James Phelps

The NRL’s next millionaire could be made this week with the Penrith Panthers set to table a deal that will make Stephen Crichton rugby league’s richest centre.
Crichton will be offered a $10,000-a-game upgrade to his existing contract as part of a new deal that is expected to be worth $2.25 million over three years.

Hoping to end the contract saga that began with a revelation that “the next big thing” reneged on a $500,000 handshake deal, the Panthers confirmed that a revised contract had been finalised and would be put to Crichton as early as this week.

1611402543833.png

“It has been a bit of a process since the grand final but we are almost there,” Penrith coach Ivan Cleary (inset) said.

“It (managing the roster) has been a challenge for us after a successful year that came as a bit of a surprise, but we are confident that he won’t be going anywhere.”

It is understood the $2.25 million will include a $250,000 upgrade to his current contract which is set to expire at the end of this year.

The $750,000-a-year deal will leapfrog Crichton over Roosters powerhouse Joey Manu ($700,000) as the NRL’s highest-paid full-time centre in a stunning achievement for a 20-year-old who has played just 26 NRL games.

The Panthers are confident the new deal will be enough to fend off interest from a long line of rival clubs, led by the cashed-up Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Had a pretty good season but went missing in the GF from memory, hell of a lot of money to be splashing on such an inexperienced player.
He didn't go missing, the idiots inside him kept playing short to Kikau in good ball areas... Not worth what he's going to get paid yet anyways. I know centres are crucial in todays game but paying over 700k for both your centres is crazy imo, hopefully we don't go down that road

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have certainly pushed his price up, quite a bit if the reporting is accurate (always a big “if”). If you don’t make Objective 1, sign the player, then at least achieve Objective 2, make them pay more, in this case a lot more. The bonus is they apparently upgraded him for this year, which will make other players, those that warrant an upgrade , just a bit salty and more willing to entertain offers, from us. There will be player agents left right and centre on the phone asking for similar pay rises for their players, it’s a dangerous precedent to set.

How must Burton feel, since they are making him stay on peanuts?

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a massive talent and may one day justify that money but he's not worth anywhere near that yet.

It will be interesting to see if he and Penrith suffer second year syndrome and have a disappointing season. Either way Penrith will have massive cap problems and lose more juniors because of the upgrades they have to give Chrichton, Staines, Luai etc...

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Penrith are going to have big issues holding onto their young stars. If stories of how much some are earning keep coming out, it may create dissension in the team, and cause financial headaches as each contract comes up for renewal.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He didn't go missing, the idiots inside him kept playing short to Kikau in good ball areas... Not worth what he's going to get paid yet anyways. I know centres are crucial in todays game but paying over 700k for both your centres is crazy imo, hopefully we don't go down that road
I'd honestly rate wingers over centres in terms of importance to a side.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have certainly pushed his price up, quite a bit if the reporting is accurate (always a big “if”). If you don’t make Objective 1, sign the player, then at least achieve Objective 2, make them pay more, in this case a lot more. The bonus is they apparently upgraded him for this year, which will make other players, those that warrant an upgrade , just a bit salty and more willing to entertain offers, from us. There will be player agents left right and centre on the phone asking for similar pay rises for their players, it’s a dangerous precedent to set.

Go Dogs
Exactly. I hope Burton's manager really kicks up a stink. He should if he's doing his job.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd honestly rate wingers over centres in terms of importance to a side.
In attack yes. But having defensively sound centres is crucial imo or your basically fucked... Unless your Melbourne and you have so much quality elsewhere that had can carry him.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor Penrith, having to pay overs - I feel so sorry for them.

Now, where's that rumor about The Roosters Chasing a new halves partner for Keary in 2022 - Jarome Laui I hear..... PAY Ivan you prick, PAY....

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Go Dogs
the roosters offered him more than the dogs did

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
the roosters offered him more than the dogs did
I saw a Roosters fan claim they were signing him, moving Manu to 5/8 and Keary to 7 lol.

Roosters have Manu, Morris, Smith, Suaalii and whoever else they pinch from other clubs juniors...not sure why they would go hard after Crichton?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In attack yes. But having defensively sound centres is crucial imo or your basically fucked... Unless your Melbourne and you have so much quality elsewhere that had can carry him.
centres have to show very good judgement in defence, true... but wingers, too, have important roles in defence in covering for kicks later in sets, defusing kicks, and making good decisions when to come in, when to stay with his opposite and to work in concert with their centre (eg. part of the reason why Steve Turner had such a horrific Origin debut was how poorly he worked with Gasnier in defence who himself made bad decisions)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So if Penrith over paid (considering their first offer was 500k range) for the good chrichton. And we potentially made them up their offer for leniu. I wonder where they will crack.

i guess Mansour would take a lot of cap pressure off. And burton (wouldn’t be a huge contract) helps too. Will be interesting to see how much of their cubs they keep together for a premiership push.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So if Penrith over paid (considering their first offer was 500k range) for the good chrichton. And we potentially made them up their offer for leniu. I wonder where they will crack.

i guess Mansour would take a lot of cap pressure off. And burton (wouldn’t be a huge contract) helps too. Will be interesting to see how much of their cubs they keep together for a premiership push.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

The Panthers are going to need to fork out around 700k for Luai too. I think he should of been priority over Crichton. There were clubs reportedly willing to pay 900k for Hughes. If/when the clubs miss out on Hughes, Luai's in that same category. The Panthers are going to lose all of their depth and not be as strong across the 13 in years to come when other players contracts run down. They can develop all the players they want, but they're not going to be able to re-sign them with competition. They won't have the salary cap space to compete.

Last edited: