State of Origin - I knew this was going to happen!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Let's put aside all the lop-sided score lines in the NRL so far this season for a minute.

Let's go back about 10 years when QLD were in the midst of their streak. They had players like Thurston, Cronk, Smith and Slater to chose from in their origin team.

Let's look at NSW. The five-eighth was Jamie Lyon.

What about their captain? I remember this (and QLD fans were loving it), the captain was Kurt Gidley... COMING OFF THE BENCH? On what planet does a captain player FROM THE BENCH??

My goodness, it's not that NSW had bad players to chose from, it's that all of the big 4 QLD players were in their prime, and NSW selectors were smoking something strong.

I said that the big 4 (Smith, Slater, JT, Cronk) were all born in 83, so would retire around the same time as each other and NSW would dominate. With the exception of NSW's best player out of Origin 3 last year handing QLD the victory, the pendulum has well and truly swung our way now!

This bloke is QLD's captain... and I am LOVING it!

1624835967004.png

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think the current backline particularly, but also the whole nsw side overall is probably the best we ever fielded. On the other hand it's the worst qld team I've seen also. Another flogging incoming game 3

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When does nsw ever learn? QLD will win next year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ssssshhhhhhh you will upset @Bazildog haha
Just kidding mate.
The pendulum has properly swung as you say. Lets not forget that there are at least 3 future immortals playing in the QLD side, Thurston, Smith and Slater are the best, or one of the best players to ever play their positions. Just pure good luck that they all came through together.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reece Walsh and Sam Walker will be there next year . Dce has had his day , gonna need more then that to best turbo and Tedesco . Had no confidence last night snd to lose twice in Qld is just un Qld like. That nsw teams isn’t that different from last year so I’d be surprised if Paul green gets the gig again. Probably the worst I’ve seen Qld play in my entire life

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Reece Walsh and Sam Walker will be there next year . Dce has had his day , gonna need more then that to best turbo and Tedesco . Had no confidence last night snd to lose twice in Qld is just un Qld like. That nsw teams isn’t that different from last year so I’d be surprised if Paul green gets the gig again. Probably the worst I’ve seen Qld play in my entire life
Walsh and Walker will help the team, but they are still VERY young and won’t be able to make too much of a noticeable dent. QLD have horrible depth that they had to pick Joe Ofahanguae as a bench prop, whereas we’re deciding whether to pick Angus Crichton, top 3 2nd rower, or Victor Radley, top 3 lock. Oh wait J Turbo comes back…

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We sat there and took it for a decade. Watch QLD start calling for the series to be canned after another another series loss next season.
If we hadn't lost last year's series, which was an absolute disgrace we would be sitting at 4 years in a row & well into a potential decade of dominance..
Last year still hurts, but hopefully this year is the start of a good 10 year block for NSW!

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the QLD spine will be fine for years to come with Ponga (23), Reece Walsh (18), Cameron Munster (26), Sam Walker (19), and Harry Grant (23)

but the great QLD teams always had great props to lay a foundation - Webcke, Civoniceva, Steve Price, Matt Scott etc... Papalii is probably the only QLD prop that would/could make the NSW team

and a three quarter line of Gagai, Capewell, Coates and Feldt is just not good enough for Origin

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's put aside all the lop-sided score lines in the NRL so far this season for a minute.

Let's go back about 10 years when QLD were in the midst of their streak. They had players like Thurston, Cronk, Smith and Slater to chose from in their origin team.

Let's look at NSW. The five-eighth was Jamie Lyon.

What about their captain? I remember this (and QLD fans were loving it), the captain was Kurt Gidley... COMING OFF THE BENCH? On what planet does a captain player FROM THE BENCH??

My goodness, it's not that NSW had bad players to chose from, it's that all of the big 4 QLD players were in their prime, and NSW selectors were smoking something strong.

I said that the big 4 (Smith, Slater, JT, Cronk) were all born in 83, so would retire around the same time as each other and NSW would dominate. With the exception of NSW's best player out of Origin 3 last year handing QLD the victory, the pendulum has well and truly swung our way now!

This bloke is QLD's captain... and I am LOVING it!

View attachment 25850

DCE was woeful, they targeted him all game. But gee NSW had a great backline

Time to go back in your shell!

DCE sure has a long neck!

1624841210156.png

Last edited:

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
the QLD spine will be fine for years to come with Ponga (23), Reece Walsh (18), Cameron Munster (26), Sam Walker (19), and Harry Grant (23)

but the great QLD teams always had great props to lay a foundation - Webcke, Civoniceva, Steve Price, Matt Scott etc... Papalii is probably the only QLD prop that would/could make the NSW team

and a three quarter line of Gagai, Capewell, Coates and Feldt is just not good enough for Origin
Welch is, in my opinion, the best prop in the game! Better than Haas, Paulo, Saifiti. His work goes largely unnoticed

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welch is, in my opinion, the best prop in the game! Better than Haas, Paulo, Saifiti. His work goes largely unnoticed
Haas is the best prop in the game IMO... but fair enough, I might have been a bit harsh on Welch

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I couldn't believe the commentary team thought it would be a hard decision to choose between dce and cleary for Australia shortly. For me its a no brainer, L Lewis should be halfback.

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I couldn't believe the commentary team thought it would be a hard decision to choose between dce and cleary for Australia shortly. For me its a no brainer, Lincoln Lewis should be halfback.
Commentary were stinging for a QLD win. Even the refs hated that knock on try that they were going to give to the maroons but his arm was clearly on the line. You could see them sighing with the next words no try. I get it because it makes for a better product if there is a decider they all have employment ect ect ect but yeah the refs I think tried to make it a closer game but NSW were clinical.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ssssshhhhhhh you will upset @Bazildog haha
Just kidding mate.
The pendulum has properly swung as you say. Lets not forget that there are at least 3 future immortals playing in the QLD side, Thurston, Smith and Slater are the best, or one of the best players to ever play their positions. Just pure good luck that they all came through together.
All good mate, we got our ass handed to us and we fucking deserved it. DCE is a rubbish captain and Green is a rubbish coach. Then add probably the best NSW back line ever and it was always going to be painful...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All good mate, we got our ass handed to us and we fucking deserved it. DCE is a rubbish captain and Green is a rubbish coach. Then add probably the best NSW back line ever and it was always going to be painful...
Cant disagree with any of that. You just looked as though you no answers and no creativity.
The losses of Ponga, Grant and a few others really hurt you!

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we were picking a Kangaroo team right now, I can't think of a Queenslander who played last night making the side.

Harry Grant might unseat Damien Cook but you wouldn't pick DCE or Munster over the Penrith halves.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If we were picking a Kangaroo team right now, I can't think of a Queenslander who played last night making the side.

Harry Grant might unseat Damien Cook but you wouldn't pick DCE or Munster over the Penrith halves.
If they pick on form no qlder makes the side imo. Don't think Grant unseats cook based on form and injury concerns with Grant. Munster might get picked over luai though