Stars want out of sea eagles nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Manly's pre-season has been thrown into turmoil, with long-serving Kiwi centre Steve Matai seeking an immediate release from the final year of his contract at Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Gold Coast Titans, the New Zealand Warriors and another club — believed to be the Parramatta Eels — are prepared to offer the crash-tackling 30-year-old more than $1 million over three years for what will be the final contract of his career.

They all want him immediately to play the 2015 season.

Matai has been unhappy at Manly for several months.

Read more at Foxsports.com.au

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/stars-want-out-of-sea-eagles-nest-16202/#ixzz3PJJOGYDQ

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL season 2015: Steve Matai, Kieran Foran want to join exodus from Manly Sea Eagles

MANLY’S pre-season has been thrown into turmoil, with long-serving Kiwi centre Steve Matai seeking an immediate release from the final year of his contract at Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Gold Coast Titans, the New Zealand Warriors and another club — believed to be Parramatta — are prepared to offer the crash-tackling 30-year-old more than $1 million over three years for what will be the final contract of his career.

They all want him immediately to play the 2015 season.

And in a further blow to the Sea Eagles, champion five-eighth Kieran Foran is on the verge of announcing he will be quitting the Sea Eagles at the end of the year.

Matai has been unhappy at Manly for several months.

He is upset over the departure of decade-long teammates and close friends Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart at the end of last season.

He also believes Manly are paying him well below his market value.

New Sea Eagles boss Joe Kelly has offered Matai a two-year extension on the same money he now earns. It is nowhere near what other clubs are offering and is over a shorter term.

Kelly says he hopes to get this issue sorted as soon as possible.

“If he was to ask for an immediate release, that’s a discussion we’d have internally with our recruitment and retention committee,” Kelly said.

“I’m seeking to understand what’s going on with him moving forward.

“We’ve put an offer to him to extend but we obviously need to get some clarification.

“He’s one of a few we’d like to sort out sooner rather than later so we can focus on the upcoming season.’’

There is a thought among the players at Manly that the club should allow Matai to go because he has been such a loyal servant since 2005. In that time he has played 202 games and scored 80 tries.

By switching clubs it would allow him to set his family up for life.

Foran spoke late last year about supporting Matai’s departure, despite the fact they are extremely close.

“In Stevie’s situation I believe he has taken unders for a lot of years to stay at this club and if he can now set his family up and get a big money contract elsewhere I think the club should assess that,” Foran said.

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles are desperately trying to convince halves Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans to sign new deals.

Foran is being chased by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs and is unlikely to stay on the northern beaches.

Cherry Evans is more likely to remain, despite a huge offer from the Cronulla Sharks to play alongside his best mate Ben Barba.

The huge dollars needed to try to keep the halves at Brookvale is the very reason Kelly and coach Geoff Toovey can’t offer the same money rivals are offering Matai.

The Kiwi centre is refusing to comment on his plans because he is reluctant to upset teammates and fans in a public dispute so close to the start of the competition.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like Daddy Cool has packed up his Eagle rock and has given the Manly Rugby Leagues club and team the old one finger salute.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cant help but be reminded of what happened to us after 2004.

Players are beginning to frustrate me with these kind of breaking of contracts.

Matai, you signed a contract, stick to it, what you do after is your business.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Brett Morris broke his contract to come play with us, no point holding onto a player who doesn't want to play at for your club anymore.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol amazing that eels can afford matai and foran.

seriously.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Brett Morris broke his contract to come play with us, no point holding onto a player who doesn't want to play at for your club anymore.
it all depends on the reasoning.

Matai just wants out cause he thinks he can get more money elsewhere.
To bad to sad champ you signed a contract.

And wanting out just cause his other mates are no longer at the club is just being a sook.

And in regards to Brett Morris,
As I understand it was mutual.
The Dragons were happy for Brett to move on to free cap space and help rebuild their team.

Its win win both sides so breaking contract under that scenario if both partys agree is fair.

That's not the case here with Matai.
He is just being a spoilt brat like Mason in the past and SBW and the like.

Footy players need to grow up, man up.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
matai has taken less for years and dosnt seem happy with the direction the club is going. i think its more then fare for him to ask for a release when clubs use those exact reasons going the other way

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Agree mate but at the same time clubs will offload u or shop u around just as quick, 2 way street so you can only look after yourself

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it all depends on the reasoning.

Matai just wants out cause he thinks he can get more money elsewhere.
To bad to sad champ you signed a contract.

And wanting out just cause his other mates are no longer at the club is just being a sook.

And in regards to Brett Morris,
As I understand it was mutual.
The Dragons were happy for Brett to move on to free cap space and help rebuild their team.

Its win win both sides so breaking contract under that scenario if both partys agree is fair.

That's not the case here with Matai.
He is just being a spoilt brat like Mason in the past and SBW and the like.

Footy players need to grow up, man up.
I'm not sure thats the case this time with manly, allot of their players have expressed not wanting to be there. The Eagles just lost watmough who has been there since 2002 and with G Stewart who has been there since 2003 not getting a new contract its possible snake will leave as well.

Its possible that Matai is having a sook but there is to much going on at Manly to really know whats going on, Toovey was fighting with board members over burgess recently as well.

Also the dragons wernt happy for morris to leave they just didn't have much leeway to keep him as Brett wanted to play with his brother and the dragons didn't have the cap to give him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the 4th time Matai has requested release. He wants to join the warriors but each time he asks Manly refuse.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree mate but at the same time clubs will offload u or shop u around just as quick, 2 way street so you can only look after yourself
Its definitely something the NRL need to sort out, Wayne Bennett touched on it last year, even though he exploited the rules.

But I think fans, sponsors and the general public are sick of it.

If contracts are made they should be honoured, by both the clubs and the players.

Just like for the rest of us in life.

I have a Gennisis Fitness Club contract

I am paying double what I could be paying at another Gym.
But unfortunately I am locked in to the Gennisis contract.

That's life,
I signed up, I have to honour it. or pay the cancelation fee, that generally equates to the terms of the contract anyway.

I quoted a job for a client the other day, made a miscalculation when putting the quote together.
The client came in signed contracts, then I discovered my mistake.
I still have to perform the work as per the contract and take the loss,
To bad to sad, that's business and its life.

I could go on and on,

Sport is a professional business but its run as a law unto itself,

I understand contracts in life can be broken but only if both partys agree. or compensation is paid.

Manly cant stop Matai leaving if Matai is prepared to pay out manly a settlement figure to compensate Manly.
But the sook wont do that.

To bad to sad Matai, you signed a contract, man up honour it then please yourself or pay up son,

Its that black and white, well to me it is anyway.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
I'm just happy to see Manly in this position - I couldn't think of a club more deserving (other than possibly Easts or Souths)

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm just happy to see Manly in this position - I couldn't think of a club more deserving (other than possibly Easts or Souths)
Same lol,

I cant help but enjoy seeing other clubs fall from Grace.
I don't know why, possibly its cause I am a *****

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its definitely something the NRL need to sort out, Wayne Bennett touched on it last year, even though he exploited the rules.

But I think fans, sponsors and the general public are sick of it.

If contracts are made they should be honoured, by both the clubs and the players.

Just like for the rest of us in life.

I have a Gennisis Fitness Club contract

I am paying double what I could be paying at another Gym.
But unfortunately I am locked in to the Gennisis contract.

That's life,
I signed up, I have to honour it. or pay the cancelation fee, that generally equates to the terms of the contract anyway.

I quoted a job for a client the other day, made a miscalculation when putting the quote together.
The client came in signed contracts, then I discovered my mistake.
I still have to perform the work as per the contract and take the loss,
To bad to sad, that's business and its life.

I could go on and on,

Sport is a professional business but its run as a law unto itself,

I understand contracts in life can be broken but only if both partys agree. or compensation is paid.

Manly cant stop Matai leaving if Matai is prepared to pay out manly a settlement figure to compensate Manly.
But the sook wont do that.

To bad to sad Matai, you signed a contract, man up honour it then please yourself or pay up son,

Its that black and white, well to me it is anyway.
I'm with you in general, but what you felt due to a circumstance out of your control meant what you signed up for has changed?

In the gym example, what if say, the gym moved or the nearest one to you closed down (the happened a few years ago to a lot of FF customers) and you noted had to drive 10km or further to the gym when you used to walk there. Do you think you would have grounds to break your contract?

On a footy team, what if you signed up on the basis you would be coached by X and you would be playing with a b and c, and mid contract, they were all released? Should you have put some sort of out clause in your contract to tgat effect, or is there some sort of implied breach?

I'm not saying Matai can just leave because he's unhappy but I guess maybe sometimes circumstances change around you.

I moved overseas years ago for a job. Whilst my work contract itself was pretty standard, I was lead to believe certain things would happen to develop my career. Six months into a 2 year contract, it was clear what was promised and what was delivered were so different that the job I was doing was not what I had moved to the opposite side of the world for, despite technically no breaches of my work contract occurring.

I genuinely do believe in honoring contracts... just putting it out there I guess. ..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure Manly won't allow Matai to go.

Plenty of people want to praise Toovey about his coaching - the next few years will tell how good he is when he needs to start to assemble a squad himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.