News Star forward to lead recruitment drive at Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Written by Zero Tackle-

Star Canterbury Bulldogs forward Luke Thompson has reportedly recommended to club director of football Phil Gould that Herbie Farnworth should become a priority signing for 2023.

The Bulldogs are well known to be in the market for a fullback, with Stephen Crichton a target of the club for the 2024 season.

The recruitment run of the club over the last two years has seen an almost total roster cleanout, with Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney the leading duo to join the club in 2023.

The number one jumper is still the possible headache for the blue and white though, with Farnworth wanting to play fullback at the Brisbane Broncos, but seemingly not in a position where he will be able to.

The Englishman, who has been in England's Rugby League World Cup camp with Thompson, is known to be less than impressed with the call to sign Reece Walsh at the Broncos, with Tesi Niu and Selwyn Cobbo also eyeing off the fullback jumper at the club.

He signed a one-year extension to remain at Red Hill in 2023 mid last year, but that means he is now free to sign with rival clubs again after November 1, and News Corp are reporting the Bulldogs will throw their hat into the ring on Thompson's advice.

“Never spoken to him (but) Luke Thompson said he was very impressed with him from the RLWC. That's all I know," Phil Gould told the publication.

“Luke was particularly keen on Herbie.

“I think he manages himself and I'm told he's sorted elsewhere. I haven't delved into it and haven't spoken to Luke since England lost last week."

Thompson himself has been up in the air over his future, and at one point was rumoured to be set for an early release, although is now off-contract at the end of 2023 at Belmore.

It's understood multiple English players out of the Rugby League World Cup camp could be keen to make the move and try their hand in the NRL.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Written by Zero Tackle-

Star Canterbury Bulldogs forward Luke Thompson has reportedly recommended to club director of football Phil Gould that Herbie Farnworth should become a priority signing for 2023.

The Bulldogs are well known to be in the market for a fullback, with Stephen Crichton a target of the club for the 2024 season.

The recruitment run of the club over the last two years has seen an almost total roster cleanout, with Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney the leading duo to join the club in 2023.

The number one jumper is still the possible headache for the blue and white though, with Farnworth wanting to play fullback at the Brisbane Broncos, but seemingly not in a position where he will be able to.

The Englishman, who has been in England's Rugby League World Cup camp with Thompson, is known to be less than impressed with the call to sign Reece Walsh at the Broncos, with Tesi Niu and Selwyn Cobbo also eyeing off the fullback jumper at the club.

He signed a one-year extension to remain at Red Hill in 2023 mid last year, but that means he is now free to sign with rival clubs again after November 1, and News Corp are reporting the Bulldogs will throw their hat into the ring on Thompson's advice.

“Never spoken to him (but) Luke Thompson said he was very impressed with him from the RLWC. That's all I know," Phil Gould told the publication.

“Luke was particularly keen on Herbie.

“I think he manages himself and I'm told he's sorted elsewhere. I haven't delved into it and haven't spoken to Luke since England lost last week."

Thompson himself has been up in the air over his future, and at one point was rumoured to be set for an early release, although is now off-contract at the end of 2023 at Belmore.

It's understood multiple English players out of the Rugby League World Cup camp could be keen to make the move and try their hand in the NRL.
Thread ban immediately.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol zero tackle shouldn’t be classified news and media

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Appaerently Luke passed Herb during a breakfast function and noticed that Herb was having white bread instead of multigrain. Luke mentioned to him that multi's better for you but Herb just shrugged his shoulders.
So yeah definite indicator that Bulldogs will be signing players in the future.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herbie looks real goer, shown that he can play when his mind is on the job, and seems better in good company. Would be nice but doesn't seem like a CC type.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Herbie is a good player and would be a nice addition but Luke Thompson should stick to concentrating on his own game before talking about recruitment

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
well he hasnt been able to play good football week in week out for the dogs..so maybe he is not like most people
I think he plays fine. Biggest issue I have with him is he's out too much for his price tag so bad value for money so far, because of that. Hope that improves

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he plays fine. Biggest issue I have with him is he's out too much for his price tag so bad value for money so far, because of that. Hope that improves
I agree, when he plays - he plays fine but the reality is he is on 3 times his worth. His WC performances have been nothing to write home about. I too hope he improves, I have been hoping that for a while though.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, when he plays - he plays fine but the reality is he is on 3 times his worth. His WC performances have been nothing to write home about. I too hope he improves, I have been hoping that for a while though.
Alot of people on here don't like to hear any criticism of him. I don't know why that is but he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype or price tag. The same people wouldn't be so forgiving or other players missing such a big chunk of football for whatever reason. Facts are he hasn't lived up to expectations until now, hopefully next year is different.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alot of people on here don't like to hear any criticism of him. I don't know why that is but he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype or price tag. The same people wouldn't be so forgiving or other players missing such a big chunk of football for whatever reason. Facts are he hasn't lived up to expectations until now, hopefully next year is different.
IMO, the inconsistent year that TPJ had is far and above the contribution of Thommo. I think we want so much to have a James Graham brittish bulldog replacement that fans overlook his mediocre talent