News St Merge?

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Has there ever been a successful merger of two sporting clubs, in which both former clubs are more or less equally represented, and both sets of supporters cheerfully embrace the new entity? Every so-called merger is a con job, in which the stronger club swallows the weaker one. The they trot out the usual high flown but meaningless comments about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Now that the dust has settled on the St George / Illawarra merger, it is now apparently time to drop the pretence and revert to the St George name. They might lose a few die hard Illawarra supporters, but most will go along with it. There is a lesson here for us Dogs supporters to take on board - if anyone starts floating the idea of a Wests Bulldogs or a Cantermatta, it will be time to lock and load!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Has there ever been a successful merger of two sporting clubs, in which both former clubs are more or less equally represented, and both sets of supporters cheerfully embrace the new entity? Every so-called merger is a con job, in which the stronger club swallows the weaker one. The they trot out the usual high flown but meaningless comments about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Now that the dust has settled on the St George / Illawarra merger, it is now apparently time to drop the pretence and revert to the St George name. They might lose a few die hard Illawarra supporters, but most will go along with it. There is a lesson here for us Dogs supporters to take on board - if anyone starts floating the idea of a Wests Bulldogs or a Cantermatta, it will be time to lock and load!
Probably not in Rugby League (i think there might have been a merger or two on the advent of Super League?), but a lot of football/soccer clubs around the world were mergers of old clubs from ages ago. But i'd imagine those clubs didn't keep trying to be a joint venture, playing out of multiple stadiums etc, and a lot fot he mergers occurred when they were smaller, more amateur clubs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nice "merger". Keep your name, colours, jersey, logo etc.. all they had to do was just add Illawarra to the end of the name and get full access to their best juniors.

Now they want to take Illawarra out of the name but still play games there? Get fucked.. The Steelers should say okay no worries. We'll give all of our juniors to the Dolphins or someone.

I feel bad for the Steelers. Used to like those teams with Wishart, Mary, Craig Simon and Mackay etc as a kid and always loved their logo..

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was a Steelers supporter growing up with the Dogs as my second team.
Always hated St George, when the takeover took place there was no way I was supporting them and it's been Dogs ever since.
I always thought that this would happen eventually, if it does Gus and co should be running Bulldogs clinics up and down the south coast, plenty of really good footballers have come out of the region.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice "merger". Keep your name, colours, jersey, logo etc.. all they had to do was just add Illawarra to the end of the name and get full access to their best juniors.

Now they want to take Illawarra out of the name but still play games there? Get fucked.. The Steelers should say okay no worries. We'll give all of our juniors to the Dolphins or someone.

I feel bad for the Steelers. Used to like those teams with Wishart, Mary, Craig Simon and Mackay etc as a kid and always loved their logo..
They were kind of my 2nd team growing up. Always a bit of an underdog.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol...Greater Sydney Dragons...just Lol. More like The Pacific Ocean Dragons.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How cynical is that proposal

Teams like Western Suburbs, Illawarra and North Sydney for that matter, have been absolutely shafted in my opinion.

Happy to take their juniors and financial stability, however, treated like inferior partners.

The ONLY thing the Dragons / Steelers merger really had going for it was they at least play in the same colours!!

How would you feel if you were a Magpies fan!!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Change the name
Bulldogs Juniors (Illawarra chapter)
Their logo should be a bulldog consuming a dragon

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I’d rather merge with the Swans than those two….

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol now Amone has been charged by police for being a ****. Wasn't he the one fighting with Lomax? Ha, dragon.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol now Amone has been charged by police for being a ****. Wasn't he the one fighting with Lomax? Ha, dragon.
I think they got him confused with Adam Elliot