Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Spencer Leniu

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why would we be interested in Leniu at the twice the price of Chris Patolo

Chris is a similar body shape and has shown in his few appearances that he has all the required attributes including a good motor.

In terms of the new Gould 'formula' Patolo is a perfect example of what success will look like in the coming years, where we develop local juniors and become very selective in the player market, only buying players to fill gaps in critical positions.
I like the look of Patolo. After his horror debut against Manly when we lost 66-0 up to his last game again st the Wears Tigers he has improved considerably. He is still growing into his body so with another full off season under his belt he will be bigger and better next year. I look forward to watching him develop

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
According to Zero Tackle...
Munster = $1m
Hughes = $700k
NAS = $675k
JBromich = $660k
Kaufusi = $640k
Welch = $480k (seriously??)
That's $4.155M on 6 players signed for next season. That leaves $4.955M between 24 other players.
Papenhuyzen reportedly signed (link) for another 3 seasons on a contract worth $2M, but lets be conservative and say $600k.
KBromwich re-signed in 2020 (link). Very hard to get a read on what he is on, but based on the above info plus Finucane according to Zero Tackle being on $580k this season, let's go with a conservative $450k.
Coates - two year contract reportedly worth over $1M (link), let's conservatively say $450k.
Grant - can't find much on his actual contract, however he has been valued at $800k, which seems close to the mark, and certainly plenty of teams out there would pay him that. Let's conservatively say $600k
Cheese - Apparently on around $500k (link)
Meaney didn't go over there for minimum, and RSmith isn't over there on minimum either, conservatively they are on $350k each.
So that's another 7 players who would be on $3.3M, bringing the running total to $7.455M between 13 players. That leaves 17 players sharing $1.655M, $97k a player.
Those other players include Eisenhuth, Kamikamica, Jennings, Chris Lewis, Tepai Moeroa, and Olam.
Either they have two books or some players are accepting serious unders, because those figures are conservative and they still don't add up.
A few suggested corrections, the salary cap is $9.7m, yes I know about the Covid discount, but the contracts quoted are before the Covid discount, keep the apples with the apples.

Coates is ~$400k, there is a sizeable relocation allowance which is not in the Cap
Grant's contract was signed in 2020, as a result is very undervalued, close to $300k.
Similarly BSmith's contract was signed back in 2017 and as result is not much more than $350k.
Meaney and RSmith are $250k.

That's around $6.9m for 13 players, leaving $2.8m for the other 17, which is $165k average.

I did similar but for 2023 with the 1st November signings opening only 5 weeks away.
Melbourne have cap problems in 2023 unless they off load some players on $big, which means quality players;
NAS - $700k (off contract 2024)
JBromwich - $650k (off contract 2023)
Hughes $700k (off contract 2025)
Kaufusi $650k (off contract 2023)
Munster - $1m (off contract 2024)
Welch - $500k (off contract 2023)
Papenhuyzen - $700k (off contract 2026)
That's $4.9m then add in Grant and BSmith at minimum $600k each for 2023. Total $6.1m on 9 players, leaving $3.6m for 21 players at an average of $170k each (noting that the NRL minimum is $130k next season). Even for Melbourne that's an impossible ask as they have added Coates and Meaney who are on a fair bit more than the minimum, and especially if they want to retain players off contract like Olam, Kamikamika and Lumelume.

They have already offloaded JAC, Hynes and Finucane to be Cap compliant for 2022. If they want to keep both Grant and BSmith for 2023 they are going to have to offload a couple of the $big players for 2023. Most likely those off contract, JBromwich, Kaufusi and Welch. The trick is then replacing them with players on the NRL minimum $130k and getting the same value out of them as the 3 offloaded. That's why holding on to Bellamy for a guaranteed one more year as coach was worth the $huge they offered him.

Come 1st November things are going to get interesting down south.

Always a Bulldog

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Munster = $1m
Hughes = $700k
NAS = $675k
JBromich = $660k
Kaufusi = $640k

That's $4.155M on 6 players signed for next season. That leaves $4.955M between 24 other players.

Papenhuyzen reportedly signed (link) for another 3 seasons on a contract worth $2M, but lets be conservative and say $600k.
KBromwich re-signed in 2020 (link). Very hard to get a read on what he is on, but based on the above info plus Finucane according to Zero Tackle being on $580k this season, let's go with a conservative $450k.
Coates - two year contract reportedly worth over $1M (link), let's conservatively say $450k.
Grant - can't find much on his actual contract, however he has been valued at $800k, which seems close to the mark, and certainly plenty of teams out there would pay him that. Let's conservatively say $600k
Meaney didn't go over there for minimum, and RSmith isn't over there on minimum either, conservatively they are on $350k each.

So that's another 7 players who would be on $3.3M, bringing the running total to $7.455M between 13 players. That leaves 17 players sharing $1.655M, $97k a player.

Those other players include Eisenhuth, Kamikamica, Jennings, Chris Lewis, Tepai Moeroa, and Olam.

Either they have two books or some players are accepting serious unders, because those figures are conservative and they still don't add up.
Yep i cant work out how storm are under the cap ,yes some may play for slightly less than other clubs but not every player

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just on all this.

Bulldog Steve was spot on when we discussed all the movements with the panther boys (called leinu staying when it was reported he was going to join us) naden and burton with us etc.

I believe every word he says re the panthers boys. He’s proven that mail.

On this fuck yes to leinu give him elliotts $ and fick no to Staines now we got dufty very similar.
Where is the sucking on the egg plant emoji!?!

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the look of Patolo. After his horror debut against Manly when we lost 66-0 up to his last game again st the Wears Tigers he has improved considerably. He is still growing into his body so with another full off season under his belt he will be bigger and better next year. I look forward to watching him develop
Best front row prospect since Marty - let’s hope we give him time to fully develop

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patolo is going to be a gun prop, I can feel it. I'm really impressed with how rapidly he has fit in to first grade in a beaten team and he is still growing. He is going to be an absolute beast in a couple of years.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Staines is howland 2.0. Dodged a bullet there
Leinu would be a very good bench/impact player for our speed guns to play off quick play the ball. If its not a big pay check.
That's a blast from the past. Brett Howland known as "the whippet" Played around a dozen of so first grade games for the Dogs in his two years at the club, went to Pampers and retired before turning 30.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Munster = $1m
Hughes = $700k
NAS = $675k
JBromich = $660k
Kaufusi = $640k

It is true that we are not privy to actual wages but you have put effort into this.....

From the NRL this is part of the split of money that is compulsory relating to minimum that can be paid to players depending on their position in the roster....The figures may not be relative to today though because I think from memory they asked clubs to accept lower because of the effect of COVID and loss of revenue from game days etc.....

SeasonSalary capMinimum wage
2021$9.9M$115,000

2018$9.1million Top 30 base salary cap for Season 2018 increasing to $9.7m in season 2022 plus $0.2m p.a Veteran and Developed Player allowance and $0.1m p.a car allowance
2018Min. Top 30 fee of $100,000 for players 1-26 in 2018 increasing at $5,000 p.a until 2022
2018$70,000 for players 27-30 in 2018 increasing at $2,500 p.a until 2022
2018Replacement of the NRL second tier with the NRL Development List where players will be entitled to $60,000 p.a.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's a blast from the past. Brett Howland known as "the whippet" Played around a dozen of so first grade games for the Dogs in his two years at the club, went to Pampers and retired before turning 30.
I went to school with him, nobody knew even played footy until he emerged in Sharks outfit. Was not even quick at school, always a laugh for the boys that guy

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I went to school with him, nobody knew even played footy until he emerged in Sharks outfit. Was not even quick at school, always a laugh for the boys that guy
At least he was cute...........

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
On the bench today
Only because of two injuries but. Still shows he is definitely somewhat close to the outer at panthers. I mean eisunhuth and kenny were taking his spot for a large chunk of the year and both of them a fringe first graders. Might have an attitude with the coach or doesn’t train as hard for his spot.

Malla

Reaction score
He had an awesome 10 minute spurt I. The second half but he’s so unfit

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He had an awesome 10 minute spurt I. The second half but he’s so unfit
Chris patolo is a better prospect and can play longer for sure. No need to buy spencer he is unfit and cant play more than 20 minutes. We need to spend it on juniors who can fill the positions we struggle with for the long term future.

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
100%. We finally have some good young players at the club.

We need to back them and give them every chance to succeed
Chris patolo is a better prospect and can play longer for sure. No need to buy spencer he is unfit and cant play more than 20 minutes. We need to spend it on juniors who can fill the positions we struggle with for the long term future.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You didn't need to see his performance tonight to see how much potential he has. His games off the bench in 20 and early this year he's already shown what he needs to. Panthers are dumb for playing him as little as they did this year. There are people comparing him with Patolo, Leniu is levels above.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF we could get Leniu, then we should... we have only signed Vaughn for 2022, TPJ can be utilised both in the middle and on the edge, Seumanufagai is okay for depth only and anyway is not a longer term option, Hetherington is always suspended, Thompson is little better discipline wise and on big money and is potentially looking elsewhere, Teaupa supposedly has a big future but you cannot know with juniors, Atoni is gone, Ogden's soft etc.

Leniu would be a no brainer IMO