Spear tackle sued!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christabella

Reaction score
MELBOURNE Storm and rugby league players Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai are liable to pay damages to former West Tigers skipper Jarrod McCracken over a spear tackle that ended his career, a New South Wales Supreme Court judge found today.

McCracken, 34, sued the players and the Storm, their former National Rugby League (NRL) club, for more than $750,000 in damages over a spear tackle on May 12, 2000.

He suffered neck and spine injuries, and claimed the incident had ended his football career.

Another hearing will be held in August to determine the amount of damages.

Justice Robert Hulme found both Kearney and Bai intended to injure McCracken in the tackle.

"I do not agree that what occurred was but a normal incident of the game of rugby league," he said in his judgment.

Outside the court, counsel for the three defendants, Robert Crittenden, said his clients were disappointed with the decision and it set a dangerous precedent for contact sports.

"It sets a very dangerous precedent in the sense ... the judge has found that effectively every tackle, because there's the slightest intention of causing injury by putting the player on the ground, that's sufficient to enliven the provision in the civil liability act so it defeats the whole purpose of the legislation," Mr Crittenden said.

The defendants would most likely appeal against the decision, he said.

McCracken's lawyer, Bernard Gross, QC, said "they were happy with the result" but would not comment further.

AAP

Christabella

Reaction score
I have to say that that is absolutley outrageous! ... how can anyone prove one player's intent to injure another league player?

Nobody takes the field with a mindset to hurt their opponents ... yes, sometimes players do have moments of madness on the field which end up in injuring a player but how the judge can come to the conclusion that Bai and Kearney had a preconceived thought to end the career of McCracken (even though I'd argue it really ended mid 95 ) really blows your mind.

Anyhow it is obvious that this guy has very little idea about the current state of Rugby League to argue that a spear tackle was not "a normal incident of the game of rugby league."

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah I highly doubt it was on purpose.....
but that was a dangerous tackle.
Maybe McCracken is a bit upset that he didnt get to Retire properly from the NRL and go and play in the ESL!!!
he missed out on a lot of money there

Reaction score
****in McCracken! If he never left the dogs it never wouldve happened. Its a load of ****.

Mightnt look pretty, but how can they say that they intentionally did it to injure him?? Bloody hell, i can never play footy again because of a back injury and that has alot to do with a spear tackle, and Im not gonna go out and sue over it, because I know I gave as good as I got, just like McCracken.

Christabella

Reaction score
PARANoIR said:
****in McCracken! If he never left the dogs it never wouldve happened. Its a load of ****.
Precisely why I said I believe his career really ended mid 1995 :D

B

Bwaif

it's stupid... I can't believe the judge, I was outraged when I saw it on the news

Reaction score
lol, didn't see that actually, but yeah you're right. Jim Dymock, Dean Pay, Jason Smith, Darren Senter, Craig Smith, Jason Williams and Brett Dallas' careers all start to slide down hill after that aswell. Ironically :p

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
Yeah they were all stars with the dogs, and it won them grandfinal back then. LESSON TO CURRENT OFF CONTRACT PLAYERS , LEAVE THE DOGS AND UR CAREER IS OVER !

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I think the point was that Bai and kearney pleaded guilty at the judiciary after the spear tackle, so they couldnt exactly come out and say they didnt mean it after they had already pleaded guilty.

Still, I think it sets a terrible precedent.

It's hard to say when something stays on the league field and when it goes way beyond the normal and enters the law. Having grown up playing sport almost every weekend of my life i'd say what happens on the field stays on the field, however NRL football is a career, and if its cut short by something illegal and you have a family to think about, it might be a different perspective.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Belmore-Bulldog said:
Yeah they were all stars with the dogs, and it won them grandfinal back then. LESSON TO CURRENT OFF CONTRACT PLAYERS , LEAVE THE DOGS AND UR CAREER IS OVER !
Thats where your wrong bruh...

Look at Travis Norton, Jonathan THurston and Paul Rauhihi... they are enjoying it at NTH QLD, Gavin Lester is doing well at the Roosters, Darren Smith won a GF with the Gronx and it was mission accomplished from there for Darren Smith...

saf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How can the whole legal system be taken seriously, that Kiwi sheep fcuking VVanker knows the dangers of rugby league and that things like that can happen.

Christabella

Reaction score
Stevie J said:
I think the point was that Bai and kearney pleaded guilty at the judiciary after the spear tackle, so they couldnt exactly come out and say they didnt mean it after they had already pleaded guilty.
Admission of guilt does not fully prove intent.

Take it a step away from League to something more serious for a minute. If someone kills another person but they did not mean to do so they can plead guilty to the crime but to causing it accidently. Intent is hard enough to prove in these major crimes but it is virtually impossible to prove that two men playing a contact sport intended to seriously injure a fellow player so that he could never again play.

The players know they perfromed an illeagal tackle which unfortunately injured McCracken that is whay they admitted guilt to the judicary ... I just can't conceive anybody out there intentionally meaning to do that sort of thing.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Christabella said:
Admission of guilt does not fully prove intent.

Take it a step away from League to something more serious for a minute. If someone kills another person but they did not mean to do so they can plead guilty to the crime but to causing it accidently. Intent is hard enough to prove in these major crimes but it is virtually impossible to prove that two men playing a contact sport intended to seriously injure a fellow player so that he could never again play.

The players know they perfromed an illeagal tackle which unfortunately injured McCracken that is whay they admitted guilt to the judicary ... I just can't conceive anybody out there intentionally meaning to do that sort of thing.
This was a civil case though...therefore the evidence against the players only had to be "on the balance of probabilities" and NOT "beyond a reasonable doubt". It's most likely in this statement is the reason they were found guilty and ordered to pay up.

C

~CrY~

Brett Finch,

did one of those spear tackles that were talkin bot on raiders player clinton s or something. He didnt even get into trouble and some other players do, how unlucky is that???
They let him play, not even a fine

A

atomic_crimson

well if there are grounds to appeal then they should, players know this is a contact sport and whe they sign contracts they are well aware of the risks that come along with a contact sport.. and i dont think anyone intentionally sets out to end the careers of other players... i think the ruling is ridiculous....

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
the decision is stupid though

players will now be knowing that if they injure someone in a tackle that they are able to be sued for it, it will change the game for the worse.

Its set a very dangerous precedent

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
This is another kick in the nads to our our great game !!!

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
i was just reading in the paper now that he is looking at getting around 3.5 million :o

even though the players involved arn't paying the damages (the insurance company of the Storm at the time is) imagine what it will do to premiums now for a rugby league team??

this has so many flow on effects, and not only in league, in all forms of sport

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the nice house that McCracken has by Cronulla beach aint going to pay for itself!!!
And we all know how much Jarred loves money!!
but yeah if he gets away with sueing than every league player that cops a minor injury will beleive they are entitled to something!!!!

thats the risk you take when you play rugby league

Status
Not open for further replies.