Other News Source Souths star offered to rival club - Latrell Mitchell

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
After turning down a multi-million dollar extension, as many as 12 clubs are believed to be showing interest in the fullback.

South Sydney superstar Latrell Mitchell has reportedly turned down a $2.4 million contract extension with the Rabbitohs, prompting the fullback to be placed on offer to the Broncos.

According to News Corp, as many as 12 NRL clubs are showing interest in the 23-year-old, with Brisbane coach Kevin Walters already holding discussions with the Souths gun.

The Rabbitohs are understood to have offered a three-year deal to their star man, with Mitchell turning down the $800,000-per-year contract offer.

Mitchell is believed to be keen on a shorter deal, with the Bunnies remaining confident they can agree to a one or two year deal.

With negotiations between Mitchell and Souths management hitting a snag, as many as a dozen clubs have looked to swoop on the Origin fullback.

“I can confirm we’ve had some discussions with the Broncos,” a spokesman for Mitchell’s management told News Corp.

“We spoke just prior to Christmas.

“At this stage, despite reports Latrell is a done deal at Souths, we haven’t finalised anything.

“Souths have tried to put a deal together that will reflect Latrell’s market value, but we’ve made it clear we aren’t looking for a long-term deal.

“Our preference is for Latrell to sign a one or two-year contract, but at the moment we haven’t committed to any deal with Souths, so Latrell will continue to explore his options.

“If we can’t do a deal with Souths, there is genuine interest in the Broncos.

“They are one of the biggest brands in the game and Latrell almost joined them as a teenager.

“Souths are a great club but there’s no doubt the Broncos are a massive brand.

“When they aren’t on top of the NRL, they are a sleeping giant and it is only a matter of time before they bounce back again. The Broncos are arguably the biggest brand in Australian sport.

“We’ve had expressions of interest from just about every club in the game. Now we will see where things land.”

Brisbane coach Kevin Walters didn’t look to divulge much information when questioned on the rumours.

“Our recruitment-and-retention committee has made a decision not to speak about any potential signings,” Walters told News Corp.

“I can’t comment on this one, we’re playing cards closer to our chests this season.”

Round 2.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The circus continues.. If he can't find a home with Souths under Skeletor and leaves after one season, then I don't see it working out well for him at Brisbane where he'd have even more pressure and be on a way worse team. A move like this could ruin his career.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The circus continues.. If he can't find a home with Souths under Skeletor and leaves after one season, then I don't see it working out well for him at Brisbane where he'd have even more pressure and be on a way worse team. A move like this could ruin his career.
He'll stay at Souths. Just another ploy to get more money.

Personally, doesn't sit well with me when players do this as it shows massive disrespect to the club. Glad it's them not us personally.

Another bullet dodged?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Personally, doesn't sit well with me when players do this as it shows massive disrespect to the club. Glad it's them not us personally.

Another bullet dodged?
Probably. But I know for a fact Souths don't play that game and will let him walk if they feel like they're being taken for a ride. Most people at the club were reluctant to sign him in the first place but Skeletor and Richardson got it done. If this is the road Latrell wants to go down after just one season, then I don't see it ending well for him.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good on him, loyalty in professional sport is dead. The game is a business and clubs will not hesitate to move you on the minute you get an injury that curtails your career.... make as much money while you're at the peak of your career because you're just an injury away from going from a fat pay check to digging holes on a site.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fat lazy prick not a great fullbacks should stay well away from him .he isn’t a million plus a year player let him go to bronchokes watch the press rip him to bits and he don't know the meaning of press bullying he’d have a breakdown within 13 rounds of Brisbane ain’t going well

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Another bullet dodged?
Reckon you’re on the money Tassie :-).
The only possible outlier here is Skeletor is gone from the Scabbitohs end of this season so does Mitchell not want to work with Dimetriou?

Overall I think the bloke has tickets on himself.
While he improved on an average start last year he was far from great and then got injured.

Glad we steered clear.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the inevitable we should make a play for him posts :laughing:

Another nothing story.....

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Thinks hes Sbw but he’s actually a fat lazy ****

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Career seems like it has the potential to head the way of Sonny Bill, Jarryd Hayne et al
Desperately hope this freak talent gets some good heads around him to guide him

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s Bennett’s last year at the Wabbits, Mitchell won’t be the last player leaving. Ditto Bellamy and Melbourne.

Go Dogs

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a flog.
I really hope we steer clear of him.
I wasn't impressed with him last year - Sure it was his first year at the back but that's exactly why you cant command $1m+.
I hope broncos sign him on $1m plus to replace one fat overpaid 'Fullback' (Milford) with another and it backfires spectacularly.