South Sydney star Cody Walker at crossroads after new contract offer comes up short

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
  • December 4, 2019 9:55am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Cody Walker is yet to agree to a two-year contract extension. Picture. Phil HillyardSource: News Corp Australia
South Sydney Rabbitohs star Cody Walker is at a crossroads after negotiations over a new contract hit a roadblock.
The Daily Telegraph reports the Rabbitohs tabled a two-year extension worth about $650,000 a season — a deal way under the $850,000 a season Walker’s team were understood to be chasing.

The 29-year-old started the 2019 season on fire for Souths, his form earning selection in the Blues Origin team for Game 1. However he struggled in his debut and his club form subsequently dipped.

“We made an offer three weeks ago and we are waiting to hear back from his manager,” Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson told the Telegraph.

“We haven’t got a deadline on it yet but we’d rather know sooner rather than later.”

Walker, who is contracted for 2020, can negotiate with rival clubs should he and Souths be unable to reach an agreement on a new deal to remain at Redfern.

Despite the stalemate, Richardson said he was confident Walker would play out the final year of his contract.

“He is part of our team next year and we don’t want him going anywhere else,” Richardson said.

“We also want him as a part of our team the year after. We just have to wait and see.”

News of Walker’s standoff comes as the Rabbitohs chase Gold Coast Titans star Jai Arrow.

Bunnies’ powerbrokers will meet with Arrow’s manager David Riolo on Wednesday where it is understood a $4 million offer will be made.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$650,000 per year is a more than fair offer for a player of his potential imo

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
$650,000 per year is a more than fair offer for a player of his potential imo
I think he's worth a bit more than that. He was the most exciting half ion the comp pre-origin. He showed he has immense potential early in the season and is still young. With the way the cap is these days, 650k is definitely unders.

Edit - he's 29? Wow, I thought he was a lot younger than that!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he's worth a bit more than that. He was the most exciting half ion the comp pre-origin. He showed he has immense potential early in the season and is still young. With the way the cap is these days, 650k is definitely unders.

Maybe 650k - 750k tops

But for us probably 2.5mil a season....

Yeah he started kinda late for the way he stepped up the last couple seasons. Did die off post origin, but worth more than 650 at Souths imo.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Maybe 650k - 750k tops

But for us probably 2.5mil a season....

Yeah he started kinda late for the way he stepped up the last couple seasons. Did die off post origin, but worth more than 650 at Souths imo.
I's say he's in the 750-850k range..... what he's reportedly asking for doesn't seem too unrealistic. Some other club will be willing to pay more than 650. That's definitely unders IMO.

He definitely had a form slump, but being dropped straight after a bad origin debut can really impact a player's confidence. I'm sure he'll bounce back.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I's say he's in the 750-850k range..... what he's reportedly asking for doesn't seem too unrealistic. Some other club will be willing to pay more than 650. That's definitely unders IMO.

He definitely had a form slump, but being dropped straight after a bad origin debut can really impact a player's confidence. I'm sure he'll bounce back.
Yeah fair enough, I think 750k would be a decent offer but if got more could understand. Just the form was a bit concerning, in saying that if he got that back totally agree 850k would be a bargain.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that was more because of the way the game was being officiated at the time, the NRL had some major crack down on something as I recall and the refs blew the pea out of the whistle which suits souffs more than any other team. And as soon as the crack down was wound down, ie post origin, souffs and Walker suffered as a result.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a good player. Great skills as well, $750k Would be a fair price.!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His form really died off after getting dropped from origin, and he really struggled with that back injury in some games last year. Hopefully he's got it sorted for 2020.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do aboriginals pay taxes or are the subsidised by the government in Some way

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Walker probably just wants the Rabbitohs to meet in the middle of the two offers. Brown just re-signed at the Eels for 650k. Walker is a better short term option. I think 750k is fair. He was one of the best players in the league up until Origin. He was selected when Maloney was fit too. He is a late bloomer and doesn't have long left in his career so he needs as much money as possible.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of potential, but falls off when left to organise (I reckon). Needs a very capable half alongside him to let him really shine.

With his injuries starting to catch up with him, I'd say he has 1 maybe 2 contracts left in him.

If the Dogs are smart, offer him a 3 year / $2.16 million contract (1st year $700k, 2nd year $720k, 3rd year $740k).

That covers if Foran ends up completely nuked, and remember $350k of that $700k should SHOULD be covered by the NRL anyway. If Foran is gone long term, he's a capable replacement who takes on the line as well.

Play him alongside Cogger in the halves.. worth a shot I reckon.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Do aboriginals pay taxes or are the subsidised by the government in Some way
not many.... and yes I think when Inglis was at souths he had TPA's as Aboriginal liaison or was tied up with some made up Aboriginal position, others over the years have had the same kind of deals

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's not worth 850k at all. He's far too inconsistent and is approaching 30 soon.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Being a late bloomer he'd be wanting to cash in before retirement.
Surely Souths will just give him a 6 year 750k contract, medically retire him after 3 years and give him a 300k a year job as media liaison officer for the next 5 years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Being a late bloomer he'd be wanting to cash in before retirement.
Surely Souths will just give him a 6 year 750k contract, medically retire him after 3 years and give him a 300k a year job as media liaison officer for the next 5 years.
...why change a winning formula!

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of potential, but falls off when left to organise (I reckon). Needs a very capable half alongside him to let him really shine.

With his injuries starting to catch up with him, I'd say he has 1 maybe 2 contracts left in him.

If the Dogs are smart, offer him a 3 year / $2.16 million contract (1st year $700k, 2nd year $720k, 3rd year $740k).

That covers if Foran ends up completely nuked, and remember $350k of that $700k should SHOULD be covered by the NRL anyway. If Foran is gone long term, he's a capable replacement who takes on the line as well.

Play him alongside Cogger in the halves.. worth a shot I reckon.
Rather we invested in our juniors, so they hang around a bit longer whilst Pay figures out he can actually drop people from the team and try out promising talent!

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Rather we invested in our juniors, so they hang around a bit longer whilst Pay figures out he can actually drop people from the team and try out promising talent!
Stop replying to your self Mr I ;)

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't think he'd offer much without Adam Reynolds beside him