News Sound like a broken record’: Barrett urges stars to step up as Dogs hit 26-year low

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett conceded that he’s beginning to “sound like a broken record” as he pinned Friday’s 16-6 loss to the Knights on errors.

The Bulldogs enjoyed their most exciting win in years just a fortnight ago against the Roosters, but have quickly come crashing back down to earth with back-to-back lacklustre performances.

They coughed up 13 errors and finished with a concerning 66 per cent completion rate against the Knights. They also missed 24 tackles as opposed to Newcastle’s nine.

But remarkably the Dogs were in the game until the final five minutes when Adam Clune scored one of the easiest tries you’ll ever see.

A dejected Barrett told reporters that the performance was “not good enough” and believes it “summed up” the team’s season.

“I think it probably summed us up all year the unforced errors and set ends at crucial times. They’re courageous and they try hard but that’s not enough to win you games,” he said.

“Until we learn to cut out those individual errors that we’re making, build pressure and come up with the right kick at the right time...

“I sound like a broken record with the press conferences because it’s the same every week. It’s not good enough.”

Questions are beginning to be asked of some of the Dogs’ big-name recruits. Matt Burton’s kicking game caused head aches for the Knights and Josh Addo-Carr tried hard, but Matt Dufty and Tevita Pangai Junior left a lot to be desired.

Dufty’s electric running game was missing, while Pangai Junior only played 46 minutes with Barrett revealing the reason behind that was because he thought the star forward looked “a little tired at times.”

The duo were also the main culprits in the Clune try.

Asked if the new recruits need to step up Barrett said “I think everyone does.”

“I’m not going to single out any individual, I thought across the board we’re just making too many errors and it’s making it too hard on ourselves,” he added.

“I think everyone needs to have a look at themselves.”

With Friday’s loss, the Bulldogs became the first team since South Queensland in 1996 to fail to score 100 points in the first 10 games.

Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson has been with club for the good times and the bad ones too.

He believes the team isn’t reaching its potential and put it down to lack of concentration.

“I think we’re a lot better team than how we perform every week,” he said.

“It’s not game plan, it’s not preparation, it comes down to the night and maybe concentration... Individuals just making sure they hang onto the footy.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you have a depressing game plan played each week it’s no wonder we are the biggest bunch of headles
Chickens in the nrl.
Grow a bunch of balls bulldogs and grow a pair and do something with the ball.
Hurry up already seasons almost over.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Same mannerisms every week it's near choreography. Fiddles with the ring finger, scratches the back of the neck, scratches his chest. Then the same routine, too many errors, not enough good ball, need better set finishes.

If the same thing keeps happening then what are we changing? Is it the training or the player?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you have a depressing game plan played each week it’s no wonder we are the biggest bunch of headles
Chickens in the nrl.
Grow a bunch of balls bulldogs and grow a pair and do something with the ball.
Hurry up already seasons almost over.
Season ended tonight.

No amount of "we are better than this" bullshit will cut it. The team is only better if it wins; otherwise they are happy with the standard that they dish out every week. Crying about dropped ball, and being tired after 40 minutes is not an excuse - it is an indictment.

No coach should be saying the same thing after every game and believe that makes it OK with the fans.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I love the club but hate the team. I honestly can't stand them bro...But I was born a Bulldog and I will die a Bulldog., so
The Bulldogs died tonight. I'm not sure what we're supporting next week, so I'm giving up.
I'd become interested again if something drastic and immediate happens, but it won't - and I'm done with them.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't believe I love the club but hate the team. I honestly can't stand them bro...But I was born a Bulldog and I will die a Bulldog.
Bro.. 100/100 for this .. most beautiful comment I’ve heard, so genuine so real,from the heart. and so correct , i too feel the same. Been bleeding blue and white for 35 years and will die Bleeding blue and white.!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How about Duffy’s effort on lee when he scored. No urgency to defend and prevent a try.
Lazy on the cover D when Clune scored. **** can fuck off. What a poor excuse for a professional sports athlete
That was so fucked... The saddest part is that he hesitated for a fraction of a second instead of going for the intercept like usual lol. If he went straight for it he potentially could have ran the length