Opinion Some Positives Jake Averilo Slowly Improving

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
avarillo is not a first grader at any other club.
From what I have seen he doesn’t have the balls or tenacity to make it.
xompare him to Sam Walker who is 18 year old, he came into a side and started calling the shots. We were rudderless today and have been all year. Our spine is limp
20 year old kid with an handful of games under his belt thrown into the spine behind a beaten pack and absent half back.

You’re having a laugh surely.

Put him into any of the top 8 teams and he will shine.

I reckon I have a good idea of how Sam Walker would be going if he was playing half for us.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Averillo is slowly improving each week but he isn't a 5/8 in my opinion (not at this stage). And next year he won't be playing 5/8 so I would move him into the centres

He is a natural runner, not a creator. But his natural instinct doesn't seem to be to take on the defence line amongst traffic. 8 out of 10 times he just passes the ball to Elliot or Allen without engaging the defence whatsoever which creates nothing for his outside man. For me he should be the one receiving the pass in the centres so he has to run and has a bit more space. I also think his defence has improved quite a lot since last year although he would have to improve his reading of the play way better than he did last year

I know that then leaves the problem of who to play at 5/8. With our lack of depth and options at this current time I would even contemplate a straight swap with Hoppa. Now I am 100% with the popular opinion that Hoppa this year has totally lost it as a centre and the end of the year can't come quick enough for us to see the back of him.

But, I would give him a couple of weeks at 5/8 to see if he's got anything to offer. He does have good hands, is a bigger body in the defence line and won't be caught out by his lack of pace as much. But he doesn't kick, which puts more pressure on Flanno who is already struggling. I know I'm clutching at straws but if Hoppa doesn't do it then we are back to Lewis which gives us strong defence and a big kicking game, but no attack

The whole aim of the move to centres would be to give Avo more game time there this year to see if he can gain some confidence and develop into a first grade centre, as that is the only position I see available for him going forward. I also think if he can show some spark and improvement this year, then with another off season, a bit more size and maturity, he could be a solid first grader come next year with some possible x factor

That would be the perfect scenario because for me, I'd prefer not spending any more $$ on the backline next year. Between DWZ, Meaney, JAC, Okonbur, Cotric, Avo, Allen and possibly Schoupp, we should be able to get a decent back 5. That then allows us to put all available $$ into rebuilding our forward pack next year (which has to be our priority)

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
if you think Jake doesnt do enough then you should take that up with Katoa.

When Topine comes on there is no issue with which half gets the ball, this is when we make easy meters and Jake is good for an actually good bomb into a corner or 40/20.