Opinion Some Positives Jake Averilo Slowly Improving

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must admit, im pretty disapointed in Baz thus far. We are fucking woeful!!!
I Suppose he was credited (Tbaz) with a huge (attacking Coach) tag that many (me) in the kennel bought into...as a fix because defence was pretty good. Seeing both turn to shit is harder to take....although Averillo I was bit down on earlier has shown some positives for his age....he is not aiming up like the Roosters half but could have developed that way,...or could be destroyed here injury/confidence behind this pack.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must admit, im pretty disapointed in Baz thus far. We are fucking woeful!!!
Yep we seem to have missed the point in relation to the new rules. Yes you can still score off set plays but more and more tries are now coming from unstructured plays and offloads.

Look at our first try yesterday. Hetherington offloaded and no one was watching. The halves were too busy trying to set up the next play. And to make matters worse our set plays are shit.

Foz showed in his time with us that if you have a playmaker that is willing to dig in to the line you can create chances. I know our halves are young but for fark sake they need to stop passing 5 metres from the line

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I Suppose he was credited (Tbaz) with a huge (attacking Coach) tag that many (me) in the kennel bought into...as a fix because defence was pretty good. Seeing both turn to shit is harder to take....although Averillo I was bit down on earlier has shown some positives for his age....he is not aiming up like the Roosters half but could have developed that way,...or could be destroyed here injury/confidence behind this pack.
I think Baz is just forcing the team to grow. They will take a long time to come good, but evn more time if he doesn force it upon them now. Does that make sense? I mean he wants them practicing the way we will continue to play long term, rather then just play simple football within their means.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Baz is just forcing the team to grow. They will take a long time to come good, but evn more time if he doesn force it upon them now. Does that make sense? I mean he wants them practicing the way we will continue to play long term, rather then just play simple football within their means.
Im not in Sydney anymore, is this like a penrith style overhaul of the juniors in the area etc all going the one direction.....with elite top end that eventually production factory...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not in Sydney anymore, is this like a penrith style overhaul of the juniors in the area etc all going the one direction.....with elite top end that eventually production factory...
Im in Cairns mate, about as far away as i could be. Lol
I just get the feeling he is training them to play st a level thy are bot yet vapable of, rather then dumbing it down for them. In the short term it clearly doesnt seem like a good idea, but hopefully long term we will see results.
Just my take on things though. Maybe he is just not a great coachor motivator. But surely thats not the case?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in Cairns mate, about as far away as i could be. Lol
I just get the feeling he is training them to play st a level thy are bot yet vapable of, rather then dumbing it down for them. In the short term it clearly doesnt seem like a good idea, but hopefully long term we will see results.
Just my take on things though. Maybe he is just not a great coachor motivator. But surely thats not the case?
Ive been in QLD last 12 years just heading south around Tamworth.....They don't look motivated,,,the way they played 1 down (Hetherington off) is the most motivated I've seen them all year....why the fuck hasn't he got them starting like that,

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s been by far the better of our two halves. Actually challenges the line (but needs to start mixing up his hand by working on his passing game after engaging the line. His kicking game has come on in leaps and bounds and at least asks questions of the opposition back 3. Flanagan is obviously the one entrusted with running the show and gets too much ball, doing nothing with it.

Avo hasn’t been too bad for a young player trying to grow into a position. He’s not the team organiser and has ashes done questions in attack. Not that the doom and gloomers would ever admit it.
And he's made butterfingers elliot look like a footballer by putting him in gaps

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What do you see that I don't??

He is not improving at all lol
It’s funny, people blaming hooker for not passing ball. Every half in the comp can, and are encouraged to call for the ball.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive been in QLD last 12 years just heading south around Tamworth.....They don't look motivated,,,the way they played 1 down (Hetherington off) is the most motivated I've seen them all year....why the fuck hasn't he got them starting like that,
We should play with 12 every week!

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should have been reggies or the 14 this year but instead has to start at 6. He engaged the line more than Flanagan but doesn’t get the ball enough to see what he can do or build on

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It’s funny, people blaming hooker for not passing ball. Every half in the comp can, and are encouraged to call for the ball.
Doesn’t mean they are going to get it.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a season of adversity young Jake showing positive signs when Flanagan is going the opposite direction.
Our five signings have been very underwhelming to say the least.
Oh well wake me up next year
When did this happen

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree. Jake is not showing much to suggest he is gonna be a super star. Granted there is nothing for him to work with. Slow and non penetrating back line. Forward that don’t go forward and provide lumbersome play the balls. No creative Hooker to work with.
Jake is the sort of player that, if we let him go to the Storm or Roosters, would suddenly be the next superstar. The Dogs just can't help him.