Opinion Some Positives Jake Averilo Slowly Improving

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think people are being too harsh on Averillo. He was struggling the first few rounds but Flanagan is the halfback who should be taking control and doing 90% of the kicking but he's shat himself the last few weeks and dumped a lot of responsibility on Averillo.

Playmaking and kicking aren't Jake's game but he's shown great touches among some bad ones and also stepped up and taken more control than I ever thought he would. At least he's got his head in the game and trying things unlike Flanagan...

There have been really positive signs from Averillo. His running game is still a threat and his long kicks have been good, even a 40/20 in there. Hopefully he can keep building on these performances and run the ball more and we see him develop his game by more by the end of the season..

mandodogz

Waterboy
Reaction score
avarillo is not a first grader at any other club.
From what I have seen he doesn’t have the balls or tenacity to make it.
xompare him to Sam Walker who is 18 year old, he came into a side and started calling the shots. We were rudderless today and have been all year. Our spine is limp

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No he isnt he is getting worse
Flanno’s getting worse, Avo marginally getting better - his kicking and running game is on the up but I still don’t think halves are his go... FB or centre maybe? DWZ is playing too well at 1 to experiment there...for the time being.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah he's shit ATM as well ... Needs to be put in Mounties at fullback for the rest of the season imo. That way Potter can have his way with him and see if he has what it takes to play 1
And who do we bring up to replace him? Better that he becomes accustomed to first grade so he can develop where it counts.

We keep saying bring up young players - even if they struggle, the year is a write off anyway - well, Averillo is the essence of that.

Malla

Reaction score
What do you see that I don't??

He is not improving at all lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's still got his flaws but the last few games he's scored a try, taken the line on, kicked more than ever and put up some decent long kicks and bombs as well as a 40/20 while getting more involved with the ball and passing to his outside men.

When the games open up and we stop playing the side to side bullshit structure, he looks more dangerous than anyone else in our 1-7.. So again, he still has a lot to work on. I don't know if he's a long term half but he's stepped up and taken more control the last few weeks than Flanagan has and that in itself says a lot about where both Averillo and Flanagan are at confidence wise..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And who do we bring up to replace him? Better that he becomes accustomed to first grade so he can develop where it counts.

We keep saying bring up young players - even if they struggle, the year is a write off anyway - well, Averillo is the essence of that.
Says so much about where we are at, that a guy is learning how to play a fg position never having learnt it in grade.

First grade is not the place to learn the basics of your position...refine, gain extra skill and confidence yes.

We've been doing this since Hasler started messing with the team and trying to fit round pegs into square holes.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a season of adversity young Jake showing positive signs when Flanagan is going the opposite direction.
Our five signings have been very underwhelming to say the least.
Oh well wake me up next year
Sorry but all due respects Mrs Averillo your son is not taking his opportunities to cement his place in the team. He has not improved or at the very least learnt how to take his game to another level.

Mrs Averillo, this is the NRL not park football where you sacrificed all those early mornings and late nights to drive your son to and from training and games. Your passion to help your son fulfill his dreams needs to be reciprocated by your 'Young' Jake by maning up and start taking the bull by the horns before his NRL dream slips by.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta agree. Jake is not showing much to suggest he is gonna be a super star. Granted there is nothing for him to work with. Slow and non penetrating back line. Forward that don’t go forward and provide lumbersome play the balls. No creative Hooker to work with.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

He's scared of contact ... I detest Lewis but he comes in. I even think currently Rhyse Davies from reserves would be a better half or hooker than anyone we have in first grade atm

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Timid and out of place, could be the teams fault or he's just not up to it, he's not doing us much good in defence or attack right now and I'd be happy if he can step up - I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If anything at all he's a FB. Give him some distance from the nasty men trying to hurt him, let him hide a little bit and allow him to get some distance between him and the defensive line. Apparently he has a running game so let him support play and use his apparent speed. Less tackling which is scary and yeah...FB. Either that or send him to reggies for 6 weeks or so to see if he can dominate the kids and get some confidence and drive.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He’s been by far the better of our two halves. Actually challenges the line (but needs to start mixing up his hand by working on his passing game after engaging the line. His kicking game has come on in leaps and bounds and at least asks questions of the opposition back 3. Flanagan is obviously the one entrusted with running the show and gets too much ball, doing nothing with it.

Avo hasn’t been too bad for a young player trying to grow into a position. He’s not the team organiser and has ashes done questions in attack. Not that the doom and gloomers would ever admit it.

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The kids got a bit of skill and potential BUT atm he looks scared, timid and not making the most of he’s chances in the NRL. I know it would be hard playing in this team but come on get in there and have a go, take the line on and take some hits.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The c#nt is a complete pussy. Not sure what he done in reggies for everyone to rave about him so but honestly FMD. No aggression, no belief, no pride, no mongrel, no brains and no fukin effort. The bloke needs to go back to reggies for the year, the kid isn't a FG player.
In a perfect world he could have played the best part of a season in reserves to toughen up. But our situation last year saw him promoted without that toughening up period. As a result he hasn't learned to take the big hits gradually and can be a bit timid when he cops one. He was rushed into after pretty much jumping past reserve grade because we had nobody else that showed promise and Pay seemed desperate.

After watching him a few rounds back I was all for dropping him back for his own benefit. But I think this week he was starting to show some signs of confidence. His long kicking game was good and he was more involved in defense. I wouldn't say that he's quite there yet, but he doesn't deserve to be dropped based on this weeks performance. If he goes back a grade and gets to toughen up down there I won't complain, but he's definitely showing signs that he's progressing a bit. Needs to unleash his running game though since thats what people seem to rave about from his lower grade time.