Some Perspective

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A wise kenneler (I’m sorry but I cannot remember who, nor find the thread) said this the other day:

“I love the club, but I hate the current team”

This comment resonated so hard with me, even though I wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘hate’.

My love for the Bulldogs can be compared to my love for this country. Quite some time ago, the ‘love it or leave’ movement was big, yet incredibly narrow minded. Because if you love and are proud of something like a country, then surely you want it to change for the better, and you want to speak out about issues that you feel are wrong, inequitable, unjust and so on. Loving your country or your football team because you have to, or feel you should, is silly.

Being angry at things that are wrong with your country or your football team and calling for change is actually love and loyalty.

You can criticise/get mad at a loved one like a partner or child for something they’ve done without them assuming you no longer love them.

Right now, our club has a lot wrong with it. In fact, it’s been that way for years. I think those who speak out about what’s wrong and what needs to change are not being traitors, rather they’re showing their loyalty and fierce dedication to see the best of the blue and whites again.

Things suck right now but they will get better. I’m not proud to be a supporter at this specific moment in time, but nothing will ever change how strongly I feel for the doggies and I will stick by this team through the highs and lows. I’ll call out players I don’t think are performing, decisions by board and coaches that I don’t think are right, and the behaviour of fans that let the rest of us down. But it will never ever mean that my love for the doggies is diminished whatsoever.

This forum is a democracy where people should feel they have a voice. Criticise if it’s constructive.

But don’t ever let anyone tell you that you’re not a true supporter, or that you should ‘love it or leave’.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, it sucks right now and sucks that it feels we ll be starting a rebuild again next year but Barrett was never a good enough coach and had to go. The next decision is the biggest in this clubs recent history, to pick a proper coach. Gus said he wants experience, so surely that rules out Ciraldo and Fitler, id want either Woolf or Flannagan. I watch saints in the UK and they are defensively brilliant and good to watch in attack, hes arguably the best coach we ve ever had in England. Flannagan on the other hand is a proven Nrl winner, regardless I want someone whos coached success somewhere Baz had never been successful as a first grade coach, make the right decision, our future hangs on it. When Kikau and Mahoney come in, on paper we have a real enticing squad

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be too unhappy with Mick Potter, although Flanagan / Green are more likely as they have coached premier teams in the last decade.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
deffo not potter hes a reserve coach, flanno or woolf for sure
I wouldn’t be too unhappy with Mick Potter, although Flanagan / Green are more likely as they have coached premier teams in the last decade.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He got booted out the door at tigers and i watched him in the UK and saints were pretty average when he coached, Fine as interim, certainly nothing more
He has coached a fair bit in the UK, as well as at the NRL Tigers where he was treated poorly. 50% win percentage. Also won two premierships as a doggies player and coached Fiji internationals.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Clearly we need a coach for the remainder of this season......but let's not just pick someone who is just going to plod along and stick their finger in the dyke (so to speak) in order to stop the bleeding. We need someone who has a strong discipline and willingness to start to develop the skills of the players that are on our roster now. To ignore the players now will only lead to dissension and further pain for the fans. A bit late in the season, but our guys need to get fit quickly in order to compete at this level. I agree with Gus.....I think that we need a hard nosed discipline based coach, but with good communication skills. A fee for the DNA of the club would go a long way. The "interim coach" if he does a good enough job for the remainder of the year can then be in the mix for the job in 2023. I am not sure that Green or Ciraldo actually fit this bill. Look at what happened last time we picked an "assistant coach"........and the majority on this group wet their pants and praised the move.........Mmmmm......

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A wise kenneler (I’m sorry but I cannot remember who, nor find the thread) said this the other day:

This comment resonated so hard with me, even though I wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘hate’.

My love for the Bulldogs can be compared to my love for this country. Quite some time ago, the ‘love it or leave’ movement was big, yet incredibly narrow minded. Because if you love and are proud of something like a country, then surely you want it to change for the better, and you want to speak out about issues that you feel are wrong, inequitable, unjust and so on. Loving your country or your football team because you have to, or feel you should, is silly.

Being angry at things that are wrong with your country or your football team and calling for change is actually love and loyalty.

You can criticise/get mad at a loved one like a partner or child for something they’ve done without them assuming you no longer love them.

Right now, our club has a lot wrong with it. In fact, it’s been that way for years. I think those who speak out about what’s wrong and what needs to change are not being traitors, rather they’re showing their loyalty and fierce dedication to see the best of the blue and whites again.

Things suck right now but they will get better. I’m not proud to be a supporter at this specific moment in time, but nothing will ever change how strongly I feel for the doggies and I will stick by this team through the highs and lows. I’ll call out players I don’t think are performing, decisions by board and coaches that I don’t think are right, and the behaviour of fans that let the rest of us down. But it will never ever mean that my love for the doggies is diminished whatsoever.

This forum is a democracy where people should feel they have a voice. Criticise if it’s constructive.

But don’t ever let anyone tell you that you’re not a true supporter, or that you should ‘love it or leave’.
That was me bro.

You might think hate is too strong, but that's how much I love my Dogs, I actually hate the dickheads polluting our jersey.

I'm probably one of the happiest on here now Baz got booted. It's the first step towards the top where we belong.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sick of hearing about "DNA" they've overused the word and frankly, I think lyn and co swallowed the DNA and didn't spit, that's why there's none left in the joint.
"DNA" "Culture" "Family Club" "Dogs of War" - have become overused meaningless cliches of backwards thinking hope. Do the work - make educated decisions with the right degree of due diligence - and do more intense and purposeful hard work.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That was me bro.

You might think hate is too strong, but that's how much I love my Dogs, I actually hate the dickheads polluting our jersey.

I'm probably one of the happiest on here now Baz got booted. It's the first step towards the top where we belong.
It was such a good comment. I couldn’t put my finger on my feelings for the club until you said it.

I went to Magic Round and for five days straight I wore bulldogs colours and for five days straight I copped it. Same pride but mixed with anger and embarrassment.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some background on Flanno..played his junior days for Bankstown Sports..Canterbury junior..would definitely bring back the Dogs DNA back..
Gets results, proven coach, took sharks to game final, Great win percentage. Sign him up.!!!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Great post.

We have been asked to be patient for years. We are the Bulldogs and we have been putting in embarrassing performances for years.

I would never tell anyone how they should support or what a true supporter is. To have the audacity to think that I have the right to judge someone on their feelings/love towards the club they have supported their whole lives is hard to comprehend.
There are fans that spent tens of thousands of dollars alone in membership over the years that have stepped away.
Who am I to judge them?

Im happy for the first time in ages about where we are today.
The best thing the Club did in the last 5 years was get Gus.
Since then the best thing for us was (with all due respect to Baz and the efforts/love he put in) Baz's resignation.
Whatever happened I believe it makes us look stronger.
No more tolerating poor performances.
Was handled in a professional dignified manner.
there was no moving forward with Baz.
Now we move forward.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great post.

We have been asked to be patient for years. We are the Bulldogs and we have been putting in embarrassing performances for years.

I would never tell anyone how they should support or what a true supporter is. To have the audacity to think that I have the right to judge someone on their feelings/love towards the club they have supported their whole lives is hard to comprehend.
There are fans that spent tens of thousands of dollars alone in membership over the years that have stepped away.
Who am I to judge them?

Im happy for the first time in ages about where we are today.
The best thing the Club did in the last 5 years was get Gus.
Since then the best thing for us was (with all due respect to Baz and the efforts/love he put in) Baz's resignation.
Whatever happened I believe it makes us look stronger.
No more tolerating poor performances.
Was handled in a professional dignified manner.
there was no moving forward with Baz.
Now we move forward.
We keep hearing about rugby league being a 'results-driven business', and that's so true. Moore, Pay, Georgallis and Barrett were all thoroughly decent human beings that were liked and admired. But if they can't squeeze out results, then they need to step down.

Josh Jackson has for a long time been one of my favourite players. I don't think he's up to first grade and while I'll never stop being a massive fan, I also believe that for the improvement of the club, he shouldn't be in the team.

Conversely, I cannot stand Cameron Munster one iota. But if he came to the Bulldogs, I would be over the fkng moon.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We keep hearing about rugby league being a 'results-driven business', and that's so true. Moore, Pay, Georgallis and Barrett were all thoroughly decent human beings that were liked and admired. But if they can't squeeze out results, then they need to step down.

Josh Jackson has for a long time been one of my favourite players. I don't think he's up to first grade and while I'll never stop being a massive fan, I also believe that for the improvement of the club, he shouldn't be in the team.

Conversely, I cannot stand Cameron Munster one iota. But if he came to the Bulldogs, I would be over the fkng moon.
Its very hard when we have come form the debts of shitness we've been at.
Its hard with Josh because hes stuck true, genuinely does his best I believe, we had no-one else captaincy worthy for so long, players like JAC have only been here 5 mins etc etc but I too dont believe currently that Jacko he is a captain. There is also the bigger picture with game plan, coaching staff etc. Perhaps if he had a differant coach that could have had this team showing improvement with a couple of more wins we may feel different about it.

My feelings are the same on Munster.
I never liked Woods. That was just a bad deal, he was never going to be a Bulldog.

Many Broncos fans didnt like Reynolds, even Tripple M Brisbane was dubious.
I wouldnt be surprised if alot of Bronco fans have come around to liking him now.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its very hard when we have come form the debts of shitness we've been at.
Its hard with Josh because hes stuck true, genuinely does his best I believe, we had no-one else captaincy worthy for so long, players like JAC have only been here 5 mins etc etc but I too dont believe currently that Jacko he is a captain. There is also the bigger picture with game plan, coaching staff etc. Perhaps if he had a differant coach that could have had this team showing improvement with a couple of more wins we may feel different about it.

My feelings are the same on Munster.
I never liked Woods. That was just a bad deal, he was never going to be a Bulldog.

Many Broncos fans didnt like Reynolds, even Tripple M Brisbane was dubious.
I wouldnt be surprised if alot of Bronco fans have come around to liking him now.
We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Reynolds. I can count the number of quality, proven halfbacks in the NRL on one hand.