Some perspective from tonights game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So we lost against the Storm. Some see our defence as woeful, but attack excellent.

A few interesting stats to take into account and reflect on tonights game:

1. The Storm have not lost an opening round game since the 2004 season (they lost to Knights).
2. The Storm have not had 18+ put on them by a side since 8th July 2017 (Round 18) when Parra beat them 22-6.
3. Storm went on to become Premiers 2017.
4. The last time the Bulldogs put 18+ on Storm = April 11th 2016 (We beat them 18-12 and it was last time we've beaten the Storm).

So the game tonight was against a team that is still the best in the comp. We still put 18 on them, which teams have failed to do for some time.

Winning tonight was an incedibly hard feat (given Storm have not dropped a first round game in 14 years).

Storm scored 2 really flukey tries. We had 2 disallowed/bombed.

All in all, we stayed with the Storm where others will have faded.

Encouraging signs, and against the best defensive team in the comp, if we can put that sort of performance together (or better) every week, we are definitely going to be up there at the pointy end of the season (based on the other games so far this round).

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to see if deano sticks solid week in and out with his team or he makes slight changes to our benefit.
Because fuck me Tolman offers nothing off the bench or starting for that matter. Eastwood in same boat.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want to see if deano sticks solid week in and out with his team or he makes slight changes to our benefit.
Because fuck me Tolman offers nothing off the bench or starting for that matter. Eastwood in same boat.
They have a really tight turn around this week so unless there’s injuries I doubt there will be changes.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What was Hoppa doing on the left side catching kick offs?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think Tolman and Eastwood were an issue per se (Tolman actually had a mad run from DH).

This was Tolmans first game for the year remember (same with Woods). Eastwood doesn't have as much of an excuse, but he's a lock. We need to start him and play him up the guts, then as other teams tire, put Fualalo on and let him rip up the middle.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I don't think Tolman and Eastwood were an issue per se (Tolman actually had a mad run from DH).

This was Tolmans first game for the year remember (same with Woods). Eastwood doesn't have as much of an excuse, but he's a lock. We need to start him and play him up the guts, then as other teams tire, put Fualalo on and let him rip up the middle.
I'm with you on tolman. I don't think Eastwood can handle a start. Tolman starts at 13 . We cant afford to have woods and klemmer off together for 25 to 30 min.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree. I thought generally we did OK. There were a few defensive lapses which need to be worked on. If I had a gun at my head and had to nominate a player that should be replaced at this early stage I would think Eastwood mainly because he looked gassed after 10 mins. I disagree about Tolman I thought he did OK for his first game of the year. I think we are a work in progress and our attack showed some good signs. I hate losing to the Storm but they are where we want to be a very polished side. Both Dean Pay and the team will be be better for the run. I'm optimistic that we can win more than we lose this year.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
So we lost against the Storm. Some see our defence as woeful, but attack excellent.

1. The Storm have not lost an opening round game since the 2004 season (they lost to Knights).
2. The Storm have not had 18+ put on them by a side since 8th July 2017 (Round 18) when Parra beat them 22-6.
4. The last time the Bulldogs put 18+ on Storm = April 11th 2016 (We beat them 18-12 and it was last time we've beaten the Storm).

So the game tonight was against a team that is still the best in the comp. We still put 18 on them, which teams have failed to do for some time.

Winning tonight was an incedibly hard feat (given Storm have not dropped a first round game in 14 years).

Encouraging signs, and against the best defensive team in the comp, if we can put that sort of performance together (or better) every week, we are definitely going to be up there at the pointy end of the season (based on the other games so far this round).
I agree, don’t know why people are going off about defence when really the storm only scored 3 tries cause of luck of the bounce .
Yes Munster split us twice but the boys will learn.
Had the luck of the bounce went our way the score could’ve went the other way.

One more thing that know one has mentioned that we competed for 80 minuets and looked like we can come back and win, that is some fucking great signs.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, don’t know why people are going off about defence when really the storm only scored 3 tries cause of luck of the bounce .
Yes Munster split us twice but the boys will learn.
Had the luck of the bounce went our way the score could’ve went the other way.

One more thing that know one has mentioned that we competed for 80 minuets and looked like we can come back and win, that is some fucking great signs.
The question people should be asking is "were we ever in a position to win the game?" And I think we were.

There's a lot of positives to take from that game, especially our attack.

The major concern was the lack of impact from the bench forwards, that's when we looked like a des hasler team again with no go forward.

For mine tolman and Elliot have to go, or at the very least Elliot needs to bulk up in a season, He's too small.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The question people should be asking is "were we ever in a position to win the game?" And I think we were.

There's a lot of positives to take from that game, especially our attack.

The major concern was the lack of impact from the bench forwards, that's when we looked like a des hasler team again with no go forward.

For mine tolman and Elliot have to go, or at the very least Elliot needs to bulk up in a season, He's too small.
Bench had no impact tolman , Eastwood Elliott and Frawley have to go.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Just read this after I posted a similar thread. Totally agree! Defence was an issue, but fuck me it was good not seeing Desball.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post... added storm have already played 2 or 3 games prior to season starting... it showed.

Sherlock Holmes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For me personally I was really disappointed with Elliot he added nothing positive to the team at all last night

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For me personally I was really disappointed with Elliot he added nothing positive to the team at all last night
Same.

I wa hopeful for him this season but doesnt look good... ill give him until round 5 til i call for his head (or any player)

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Im not too concerned. A couple of defensive lapses by jacko, one of our best defenders, that led to tries... and fualalo's near try.... apart from that we're in the game.

And RFM is my new man crush lol. Go hard son...

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
From all the games played so far, we were easily the best of a beaten bunch with plenty of up side. Was sweating balls everytime Elliott got the ball, really offers nothing on the field, at least learn an offload ffs.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We just arent ready for the storm yet. But they showed where we have to get to, to be contenders. I didnt expect us to play like contenders round 1 with the new team and coach to get used to.

They have replaced Cronk well, and Slater has never been the reason for Storms success, so him being out made no difference. The key to the Storm always has been Smith / Bellamy. Until at least one of them are gone, sadly we have to watch storm go well. Im kinda over Storm doing well tbh. Even their fans are only part time fans, waiting to watch their AFL team go around.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree about Tolman and Eastwood, I believe Eastwood can get better, but I lost the last hope about Tolman, he needs to fuck off

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Im not too concerned. A couple of defensive lapses by jacko, one of our best defenders, that led to tries... and fualalo's near try.... apart from that we're in the game.

And RFM is my new man crush lol. Go hard son...
But Jacko was concussed and should've been off. It was a dumb decision to leave him on as it cost us 2 tries in the first half. I get why, given it was his first game as skipper he wanted to stay on but he should've gone off. He didn't come good until after half time. You could see how dusty he was at the ground. Still there was lots to like about last night.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If any change....

Elliott > OUT
Fine > IN

Tolman if he's going to be benched, I'd like to see this:

13. Eastwood (he needs to remain at lock).
14. Tolman

Tolman would tighten the defence at lock, and looks to now have an offload (something we haven't seen since his Storm days). Plus he's not all that slow for a big bloke. Remember in fairness he didn't play a trial either.

One big plus for us... every time we were in Storm 40 we looked like cracking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.