Some observations vs Broncos

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson was fitter than our forwards, even though he hasn’t played a game in over 3 months. Maybe the club can pay him a little bit extra to become the conditioning coach, as we don’t seem to have one.

Katoa was so bad Pay hooked him after 20 minutes. The fact that we played much better when JMK came on shows how bad he was. Maybe he was just unfit, but he reminded me of Lichaa tonight.

Meaney was good on the wing. Finally put his body on the line to score that corner try. Should be fullback with DWZ on the wing.

Speaking of DWZ, he has been shocking this year. Most errors in the competition. Should be dropped if not for the fact that he’s probably our best winger at the club.

Smith needs to go to the wing or to a new club.

The main problem with the team is they lack direction. How many times did Thompson run, only for the ball to be passed to Tolman instead?

The plan seems to be pass the ball to the forwards every tackle. Not only is this a terrible plan, but half our forwards are powder puffs and can’t do their job properly.

This is why I don’t blame the halves as much. When the forwards lay no platform, the halves have a limited amount of time to do anything. Just look at when Tolman takes the 4th hit up. By the time he plays the ball and Wakeham or Foran receive it, the defence is up in their faces, and the only option is to kick and hope for the best.

The whole coaching staff needs to be replaced, and the board too for not being to able to see that the coaching staff is shit.

With the right staff, we could have won half our games this year.

Not all of our squad are crap, they only need some proper direction to be able to take advantage of their strengths and put in coherent performances.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree with a lot of what you say Mr D.

We are getting dominated in every tackle in both attack and defence. We do not appear to be a physically strong as other sides. Our forwards just aren't dominating to give our halves anything to work with. I think Thompson will improve us in this area, I was impressed with his motor and aggro tonight.

Meaney needs to put on 5-10kg, he gets dominated in tackles but has been improving every week. I agree he should be fullback.

Katoa was horrible and his performance justified Pay's decision not to play him so far this season. He probably deserves another chance to prove himself but our attack improved once JMK came on. And that's saying something.

Pay appears to be trying to give players time in first grade to improve (such as Wakeham) but they just haven't been stepping up to the mark. Then you have players like DWZ making basic errors week after week at crucial times.

I've also been disappointed in Foran, he hasn't been taking control like a million dollar half should.

We have a lot of good juniors coming through, we just need some old hard heads to help bring them along.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson was fitter than our forwards, even though he hasn’t played a game in over 3 months. Maybe the club can pay him a little bit extra to become the conditioning coach, as we don’t seem to have one.

Katoa was so bad Pay hooked him after 20 minutes. The fact that we played much better when JMK came on shows how bad he was. Maybe he was just unfit, but he reminded me of Lichaa tonight.

Meaney was good on the wing. Finally put his body on the line to score that corner try. Should be fullback with DWZ on the wing.

Speaking of DWZ, he has been shocking this year. Most errors in the competition. Should be dropped if not for the fact that he’s probably our best winger at the club.

The main problem with the team is they lack direction. How many times did Thompson run, only for the ball to be passed to Tolman instead?

The plan seems to be pass the ball to the forwards every tackle. Not only is this a terrible plan, but half our forwards are powder puffs and can’t do their job properly.

This is why I don’t blame the halves as much. When the forwards lay no platform, the halves have a limited amount of time to do anything. Just look at when Tolman takes the 4th hit up. By the time he plays the ball and Wakeham or Foran receive it, the defence is up in their faces, and the only option is to kick and hope for the best.

The whole coaching staff needs to be replaced, and the board too for not being to able to see that the coaching staff is shit.

Not all of our squad are crap, they only need some proper direction to be able to take advantage of their strengths and put in coherent performances.
I agree with everything you say. We have been very disappointing thus far, and there's very little to like. The basic errors we constantly make are literally coach killers. DWZ is the worst offender here, and if we weren't already struggling for quality outside backs, I'd be making him sit a few weeks out to contemplate his ball handling and how to improve it. He definitely should not be our fb!! Meaney is an out and out fb and should be given the chance to prove his worth in the position. DWZ is a winger at best that wants to be a fb.
Napa is a fucking cat! He has zero leg drive, and for such a massive frame he is constantly dominated. He runs a few metres and gets out on his ass.
Toomaga is the best prop at our club, and should be star
Our bench realization is bloody terrible week in week out, and Pay has shown that he can't get the best out of this team.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and second contact is poor, good teams wrap the ball up asap, extra defence due to offloads and our own poor handling.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree our forwards get dominated and have the slowest play the ball of any team. We really miss a Kasiano type who could really start a set with a good 10-15m run every hit up a quick play the ball and a roll on. Tolman is passed it and even with all the heart I’m sorry but it just can’t cut it. The halves get the ball flat footed or they get it out the back with nothing on and the defence on them, this has been more and more evident the last few seasons. We hit it up we shift left we shift right then put up a bomb/or does with the ball on the last. Every team knows it! We have nothing. We don’t dominate in defence.
Thompson was a ray of light has played no footy and was out best player I felt. The other players should hang there heads down and apologise for the lack of support they have him. DWZ needs some super glue on his hands as they have been terrible this year. Foran looks to be holding back to try and not get injured. We just look beaten in every facet of the game it breaks my heart atm

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with everything except the part about Katoa. He did nothing special in the 17 minutes he was on but we hardly had the ball. JMK was not much better. Katoa hasn't played a game in months and looked off the pace. He needs a few games to prove himself

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh, and another thing, reimis is terrible. So many brain fades like stripping the ball in the broncos in goal when theres 2 in the tackle. We should have had the ball ba k but were instead defending again.
Centre is just not his go, he struggles big time in that role...at best he’s a winger. He appears to be someone who thinks he’s better than he actually is.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree with everything except the part about Katoa. He did nothing special in the 17 minutes he was on but we hardly had the ball. JMK was not much better. Katoa hasn't played a game in months and looked off the pace. He needs a few games to prove himself
I thought Katoa’s service from dummy half was pretty good in the limited time he was out there... throwing them on the chest and at pace. Pay needs to give him some decent minutes to at least afford the chance to prove himself...

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Mate have been saying it for years. Harry Harris and lobster way way out of their depth. Our team has been weak for years. Hopefully who ever the new coach is, brings in a whole new coaching staff.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought Katoa’s service from dummy half was pretty good in the limited time he was out there... throwing them on the chest and at pace. Pay needs to give him some decent minutes to at least afford the chance to prove himself...
Seems madness that the player will be judged on only those 20mins. Not saying he was good, Katoa that is, but it's only right that he gets some game time to show his worth. Or lack of it.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
First and foremost - our starting props are diabolical, Tolman has gone backwards times a thousand this season and Nappa, fuck me he is just taking the piss.

The team, well the forwards are just not fit enough for this competition. There was one set there were the first hit up by a forward was on the 5th tackle because they were all gassed.

Jackson ran for 42 meters tonight. What is wrong with him?

Take the first try, Nappa refuses to go in hard and is loosely hanging on, falls off the tackle and Brisbane get a late off load. By then our defence has relaxed and on the back foot and can't defend the line. This type of shit has happened time & time again this season.

Wakeman is not 1st grade standard. Doesn't help the kid when our forwards are going backwards I know but no way is he the answer to "who will be the clubs halfback long-term"?

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate have been saying it for years. Harry Harris and lobster way way out of their depth. Our team has been weak for years. Hopefully who ever the new coach is, brings in a whole new coaching staff.
Agree, I mean it’s one thing to have a shit roster but to have an unfit team as well is unforgivable.

The Big Issue

Waterboy
Reaction score

Your right on Tollman . Throw Nappa in their too. I’ve been jumping up and down about these two for a long time. Even the fox commentators commented on our lack of post contact meters.
Both of them are slow to play the ball too.
Tollmans drop ball early was a disaster for any momentum we were trying to build and his pass that didn’t travel two meters (second half) was exactly why we need to let him go. He’s trying to adapt his game but he just doesn’t have it in him.
Again ....

Post contact meters ???? Nope

Quick play the balls ???? Nope

Running off the ball to support other forwards??? No

Getting out of the way late in the count??? Nope

Also I think the board know the coach is not who they want to move forward with but they won’t make an announcement until they have a good replacement already lined up.

Belmore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The only quick play the ball ive seen in weeks was from Thompson first hit up last night.

Our front row gets dominated on every hit up. Napa always concededs in the tackle and can’t get to the ground quick enough so that he can have a 5second lay down. The dude is a slug.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Centre is just not his go, he struggles big time in that role...at best he’s a winger. He appears to be someone who thinks he’s better than he actually is.
He has ability, but apparently no desire to improve or actually fucking try.

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We used to be the fittest team but under the Lobster who has been given a fair go we are so lethargic and are unable to sustain any intensity!

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
If the Broncs put 30 on us then what about the warriors and titans. NZ put 30 on the Broncs. Same with Titans. What happens when they play us!

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah this team is regressing at a rapid rate and I honestly don’t think we’ve seen the worst of it yet unfortunately.

Katoa wasn’t great but it would be really unfair to write him off completely. I also don’t understand Pay’s decision to chuck him straight into the starting hooker role after he hasn’t played all season in such a crucial game. He was always going to be clunky but surely it would’ve made more sense to bring him off the bench. Instead he plays 20 then gets hooked for the remainder, terrible player management. Thompson is a different kettle of fish given his obvious class and he’s not playing in a vital position within the team spine.

A lot of players were poor but Napa deserves to be singled out. Heart the size of a pea. So much for our so called ‘enforcer’. Deserves to be dropped and to be frank, completely shipped out. A perfect example of a panic buy and hopefully not a sign of things to come in terms of future signings.