Solar power

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently there has been a major breakthrough with regards to battery technology - https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanoh...-doesnt-care-if-youre-skeptical/#439516f8157a

Nikola Motor, the Phoenix-based startup that wants to disrupt trucking with futuristic electric semis powered by hydrogen, says it has developed a new type of battery cell with double the energy density, only 40% of the weight and half the cost of current lithium-ion batteries used in Teslas and other consumer-market electric vehicles.

Word is they're releasing this new tech in February 2020 and it can be developed for storing power from solar panels.
Yep. The hydrogen tech is coming along well. They're planning to use it for Australian energy exports.

On a smaller scale note, John B. Goodenough (yes, that's his actual name) has been working on a new solid state battery technology which is basically glass that stores energy. If his calculations are correct an electric vehicle could run at least twice as long without needing a charge and the battery life would be at least 3 times as much. Current EV vehicle batteries have a life of around 10 years. These would last at least 30 years. Tesla motors have started assisting him with the development of the technology.

Just to show that he isn't a crackpot, John B. Goodenough is the one that pioneered the technology behind lithium ion batteries that power our phones among other things. He's also the 2019 Nobel Prize winner.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently there has been a major breakthrough with regards to battery technology - https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanoh...-doesnt-care-if-youre-skeptical/#439516f8157a

Nikola Motor, the Phoenix-based startup that wants to disrupt trucking with futuristic electric semis powered by hydrogen, says it has developed a new type of battery cell with double the energy density, only 40% of the weight and half the cost of current lithium-ion batteries used in Teslas and other consumer-market electric vehicles.

Word is they're releasing this new tech in February 2020 and it can be developed for storing power from solar panels.
That's one of the reasons I haven't invested in batteries as well the technology is changing too fast

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Totally agree. It absolutely shits me having to waste perfectly good drinking water from the tap by watering my lawn and garden with it. Using grey water would be much better. Normally try to run the waste water from the washing machine into a tub and use it on the garden.
I live in Perth so our water situation isnt as dire as it is for NSW yet, we have de-salination plants here that are used t transform sea-water into drinking water. Do you guys have desalination plants over your way at all?
One, its switched off
No, it’s on. running at 100% capacity.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some , but not heaps
Wonder what the desalination plants are worth to run, like how many dollars per litre
I’m getting a rainwater tank hooked up in a few weeks
Only 3000l but on for the back lawn anyway
Need rain, that’s for sure
Shitloads. Desalination plants require a lot of electricity to run. Environmentally wise, they're very bad.

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. The hydrogen tech is coming along well. They're planning to use it for Australian energy exports.

On a smaller scale note, John B. Goodenough (yes, that's his actual name) has been working on a new solid state battery technology which is basically glass that stores energy. If his calculations are correct an electric vehicle could run at least twice as long without needing a charge and the battery life would be at least 3 times as much. Current EV vehicle batteries have a life of around 10 years. These would last at least 30 years. Tesla motors have started assisting him with the development of the technology.

Just to show that he isn't a crackpot, John B. Goodenough is the one that pioneered the technology behind lithium ion batteries that power our phones among other things. He's also the 2019 Nobel Prize winner.
John B Goodenough is a living legend!
SSB (solid state batteries) if realised will be a game changer, and the company that holds that patent, will realise a fortune.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
John B Goodenough is a living legend!
SSB (solid state batteries) if realised will be a game changer, and the company that holds that patent, will realise a fortune.
AND he is 97 years old, and still working!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I found this thread too late, but interested to read more about other experiences.

Agree there’s many cowboys and the stuff that looks too good to be true is.

I also used SolarQuotes and landed with an installer and system I was happy with. I went with a SolarEdge inverter and 17 x LG 360w panels.

6 months later I installed an LG 9.9kW battery which works great and integrates into the solar edge system/app seamlessly. I looked at the Tesla Powerwall but they’re very heavy (so limits install location options) and require their own app so didn’t see it as a seamless solution.

The other good lesson about solar is learning to change your usage habits - using discretionary power hungry kit like washing machines and dishwashers when you’re generating power during the day. In summer my battery often gets through the night so I don’t draw any (or very little) power from the grid. In winter rarely the case because more light, hot water and other power used and obviously less sunlight hours.

My power bills have plummeted to 10-20% of what they were (seasonal) and based on current savings I should repay the entire investment in 8 years (I’m 18 months in) though I expect some variances with shrinking FiT values and rising access charges / per kWh charges.

Some may not agree that’s a suitable timeframe given kit life cycle but I’m happy with the balance between cost, pay-off and reduced cost of living as well as environmental contribution. The sun is there most days, why not use it.

A future project will be to see if a house system (with modification) would also power an EV as they are still largely incompatible as far as I’m aware (but haven’t done much research on this yet).

Last edited:

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solar panels are causing the corona virus beware

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I found this thread too late, but interested to read more about other experiences.

Agree there’s many cowboys and the stuff that looks too good to be true is.

I also used SolarQuotes and landed with an installer and system I was happy with. I went with a SolarEdge inverter and 17 x LG 360w panels.

6 months later I installed an LG 9.9kW battery which works great and integrates into the solar edge system/app seamlessly. I looked at the Tesla Powerwall but they’re very heavy (so limits install location options) and require their own app so didn’t see it as a seamless solution.

The other good lesson about solar is learning to change your usage habits - using discretionary power hungry kit like washing machines and dishwashers when you’re generating power during the day. In summer my battery often gets through the night so I don’t draw any (or very little) power from the grid. In winter rarely the case because more light, hot water and other power used and obviously less sunlight hours.

My power bills have plummeted to 10-20% of what they were (seasonal) and based on current savings I should repay the entire investment in 8 years (I’m 18 months in) though I expect some variances with shrinking FiT values and rising access charges / per kWh charges.

Some may not agree that’s a suitable timeframe given kit life cycle but I’m happy with the balance between cost, pay-off and reduced cost of living as well as environmental contribution. The sun is there most days, why not use it.

A future project will be to see if a house system (with modification) would also power an EV as they are still largely incompatible as far as I’m aware (but haven’t done much research on this yet).

Your system should be able to charge an EV, the Inverter will ensure the power goes where it needs to.

Can i ask how much it all costed, i am looking to get solar but i don't have the funds so i was going to finance it

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m getting solar panels installed don’t know about the battery bit expensive? Stove and shower are run by electricity.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone in the group in the know with solar? im about to go solar on the house any information on suppliers ,best panels or best inverters would be appreciated
The school i work at has 76 panels on the roof, and we have a very small electricity bill for a school.
As others have said, don't buy shit, and make sure the installers know their shit!! Make sure they slit all of the phasesvso that your panels are actually powering the things yoy want them to, like hot water, and kitchen appliances like your oven and kettle. If its not split up properly, yoy may have your panels supplying power for your lights and tv, and then sending the rest back to the grid, and then paying for the electricity to power your hot water etc.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have solar panels at the current place we're staying and they're crap. Our Energy provider contacts us all the time saying they think they're switched off, but we had them looked at. They're just crap.

As Mr I said. Don't go cheap or you end up with wasted energy.

Whirlpool has some good information on Solar

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/143?g=371

A friend in Queensland has a decent Solar panel setup and basically doesn't pay for electricity. His bill often shows him in profit. No idea how he does it.
Beautiful one day, perfect the next mate!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Summer 2018 our power bill was slashed from $198 to $104 - highly recommend it. 12 panels cost us $4000 to install. If you have something around that mark, you may be onto something.
$198 per quarter????? Or month right?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why don’t they just install solar panels standard to the roof of every new dwelling built?
Stop putting up metal and ceramic roofing.
Couldn't agree more. It should be mandatory. In the future every rooftop will be covered with, or made with solar panels. I have no doubt.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Your system should be able to charge an EV, the Inverter will ensure the power goes where it needs to.

Can i ask how much it all costed, i am looking to get solar but i don't have the funds so i was going to finance it
Mate feel free to PM me to discuss more.
Interested to know about EV charge, even though I don't currently own one - it's on the radar.
Cheers