Solar power

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Have a mate who lives totally off grid 600 metres above sea level with two wind turbines and 6 solar panels all hooked onto a 12 battery power bank. Dont know the exact details but he hooked it all up himself and he is never lacking in power. Have seen multiple tv's fridges freezers stove/oven toaster kettle water pumps and even a mig welder all running simultaneously.

Very clever fucker has recycled a car radiator into an air conditioner and uses thermal and radiated heat from his hot water system for heating.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ours is about 300 but we have 2 gamers who play at night and 5 adults and no off peak hot water,
That's awesome. I think ours was about 450 last quarter. But we have to run fans 24/7 this time of year or everything gets mouldy.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck thats cheap!!!
I've come into this discussion late, but I have 15 panels with micro inverters for each panel. Our power supplier is also offering a discount for payment on time, so my bill for the last quarter was $60; and the previous quarter $17 - seriously!

The setup is top quality all through, and panels aligned for maximum exposure. Cost $8k to install.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've come into this discussion late, but I have 15 panels with micro inverters for each panel. Our power supplier is also offering a discount for payment on time, so my bill for the last quarter was $60; and the previous quarter $17 - seriously!

The setup is top quality all through, and panels aligned for maximum exposure. Cost $8k to install.
Im pretty sure if it was just the wife and i ours would be in the negative

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Wow, that's great!!! I was actually thinking his bills were $198 without solar!
The school i work at has 72 panels on the roof, and we filter bore water out of the ground. So it has a pretty good setup.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two more kids moved out now its the wife and one son and me, our predicted bill went from $28 TO $2.88 ,a few hot clear days and we will be energy efficient!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Installed my panels a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately still waiting for fucking origin to install the new meter.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Installed my panels a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately still waiting for fucking origin to install the new meter.
The old analog meters were great, you could be running everything (a/c, pool pump etc) and that spinning disc thing on the meter would just be idle. Had that for 2 years, once the thieving bastard power company cottoned-on and made me get a digital meter the savings have never been as good for some reason.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Wow, that's great!!! I was actually thinking his bills were $198 without solar!
The school i work at has 72 panels on the roof, and we filter bore water out of the ground. So it has a pretty good setup.
Well yeah that was before without solar, then $104 with the solar rebate. But what also saves us money is we don’t have any halogen lights in the house - everything is LED which is about uses about %15 if what halogens use. Not heat lights in the bathroom either - they consume a lot of electricity.

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The old analog meters were great, you could be running everything (a/c, pool pump etc) and that spinning disc thing on the meter would just be idle. Had that for 2 years, once the thieving bastard power company cottoned-on and made me get a digital meter the savings have never been as good for some reason.
When I had them installed the old meter would spin backwards during peak daytime, it was fun for a month till ergon installed the new meter

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can you slow down the disc using magnets?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure about all that - I just want the new meter installed so I can start making mon-eh. I keep looking at this beautiful Queensland sunshine and cursing.