thinking of getting one
We like carbonated water

Sick of all the bottles

Anyone have sodastream and what's your thoughts

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They were all the rage when we were kids. Whilst we used to make soft drinks, i think a lot of people are buying them now to make soda water etc.

But, being an Israeli company, I'd imagine some on TK will see it as an evil Zionist plot or something :p

But seriously, there are so many things you can buy for your kitchen now - from breadmakers to thermomixers... I don't have the cupboard or bench space!

Could you use it to turn regular white wine into bubbly?

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So, have you got a folder on your laptop that says: "Indian photos for the Kennel"?
Or do you have to google each time?
I have quit a collection for all occasions, have recycled a few over the years

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@Papa Het

Sure do mate and it's bloody awesome ... wifey and I love it.

Had ours over 12 months now.

Sodastream are in the process of removing both the flavour caps (this is a good thing as they were annoying), as well as flavours that they used to import from the US / that aren't selling (which sucks a big fat one as Blood Orange one is AWESOME!!).

Read some reviews as there have been people complaining about some of the newer models and bottles coming off/water going everywhere from them.

There are a few out now:
Jet - Manual button press to gas bottles. Only takes standard shaped bottles. $80 RRP
Play - Manual hand pump to gas bottles. $90 RRP
Spirit - Manual button press to gas bottles. $109 RRP
Crystal - Will ONLY take glass carafe bottles. $230 RRP
Source Element / Metal - Manual hand pump to gas bottles with LED indicator for fizz level. $150-160 RRP
Source Power / Source Electric - Push button for 1/2/3 carbonation levels with LED indicator. $249 RRP This is the one we have.

Prices vary HEAPS, and you can get the Source Power for about $170ish.

The SodaKing (different company) bottles also fit the Source Power (infact any size bottle from Sodaking / Soda Stream will - except the glass carafe).

On to the syrups, the only thing DO NOT DO, is depth charge (drop the syrup straight down in) when adding the flavour after the carbonation. Doing so will create an eruption of fizzy drink all over the counter. Trust me, I do it often :D

The beauty is you can use anything with them really. We have the Diet Rite Cordials, Buderim Ginger syrup, quite a lot of Soda Stream flavours, lemon/lime/mint/sage pinapple (freshly) juiced, Elderflower cordials, Bickfords cordials. Haven't tested with the Soda King flavours, but you can use them.

I quite often mix the flavours together (E.G Cola and Raspberry, or Blood Orange and Cranberry, etc).

We probably have about 10 bottles in total.

DOWNSIDES
1. The bottles DO expire, and pay attention to the expiry dates (they are important).
2. You CANNOT wash the bottles in a dishwasher so can get some residual taste from previous (non water based) flavours. For this reason we have one or two bottles dedicated to carbonated WATER ONLY.
3. Cold water washing the bottles works fine but you need to rinseshake them a few times.
4. Do not fill over the water line on bottles, it makes a catastrophic mess (only made that mistake once).
5. Can be hard to tell when gas is gone (it'll still try to carbonate but go flat immediately). HINT - You'll feel in the weight of cylinder when it's all gone.

Gas bottles last about 60L or more, and you can swapover the gas cylinders at places like KMart, BigW, JBhifi, and many other places. Costs about $18 for a swap versus $35 for a new cylinder.

We have two on rotation (one in the machine and a spare when it runs out, so we can take out time getting one swapped over).

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Papa Het

Sure do mate and it's bloody awesome ... wifey and I love it.

Had ours over 12 months now.

Sodastream are in the process of removing both the flavour caps (this is a good thing as they were annoying), as well as flavours that they used to import from the US / that aren't selling (which sucks a big fat one as Blood Orange one is AWESOME!!).

Read some reviews as there have been people complaining about some of the newer models and bottles coming off/water going everywhere from them.

There are a few out now:
Jet - Manual button press to gas bottles. Only takes standard shaped bottles. $80 RRP
Play - Manual hand pump to gas bottles. $90 RRP
Spirit - Manual button press to gas bottles. $109 RRP
Crystal - Will ONLY take glass carafe bottles. $230 RRP
Source Element / Metal - Manual hand pump to gas bottles with LED indicator for fizz level. $150-160 RRP
Source Power / Source Electric - Push button for 1/2/3 carbonation levels with LED indicator. $249 RRP This is the one we have.

Prices vary HEAPS, and you can get the Source Power for about $170ish.

The SodaKing (different company) bottles also fit the Source Power (infact any size bottle from Sodaking / Soda Stream will - except the glass carafe).

On to the syrups, the only thing DO NOT DO, is depth charge (drop the syrup straight down in) when adding the flavour after the carbonation. Doing so will create an eruption of fizzy drink all over the counter. Trust me, I do it often :D

The beauty is you can use anything with them really. We have the Diet Rite Cordials, Buderim Ginger syrup, quite a lot of Soda Stream flavours, lemon/lime/mint/sage pinapple (freshly) juiced, Elderflower cordials, Bickfords cordials. Haven't tested with the Soda King flavours, but you can use them.

I quite often mix the flavours together (E.G Cola and Raspberry, or Blood Orange and Cranberry, etc).

We probably have about 10 bottles in total.

DOWNSIDES
1. The bottles DO expire, and pay attention to the expiry dates (they are important).
2. You CANNOT wash the bottles in a dishwasher so can get some residual taste from previous (non water based) flavours. For this reason we have one or two bottles dedicated to carbonated WATER ONLY.
3. Cold water washing the bottles works fine but you need to rinseshake them a few times.
4. Do not fill over the water line on bottles, it makes a catastrophic mess (only made that mistake once).
5. Can be hard to tell when gas is gone (it'll still try to carbonate but go flat immediately). HINT - You'll feel in the weight of cylinder when it's all gone.

Gas bottles last about 60L or more, and you can swapover the gas cylinders at places like KMart, BigW, JBhifi, and many other places. Costs about $18 for a swap versus $35 for a new cylinder.

We have two on rotation (one in the machine and a spare when it runs out, so we can take out time getting one swapped over).
Cheers for the review
You are a expert on this for sure

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

yous have no fucken idea how good that shit is. Its fucken amazing and now watching this video I so want to have one now.

it triggers the taste buds which you never knew you had.

if you watch closely the bottles he takes out of the esky are actually half full and rest is pressurised gas. usually these shops/stalls have a tin roof and when the cap is opened off these bottle , they fly straight up and hit the tin rood and make a loud pop noise.

the best amazing chilled drink in the entire world.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cow in the background is suitably impressed.

Hope he's not using water straight from the Ganges!

Can't help but feel though by the time he's done, his customer is already dead from dehydration.

what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

over 1 billion people are the proof of that.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So, have you got a folder on your laptop that says: "Indian photos for the Kennel"?
Or do you have to google each time?

he has got indian shit , one cant even find on google.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers for the review
You are a expert on this for sure
No worries at all mate. Did a stack of researcch on them a few years ago, and just the other day was looking to see if they still made the one we had (so compared them all) :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of Sodawater. I actually like Mizone and buy a bottle of them every week from Coles.

I haven't seen any other flavor apart from lime lately. Works well for me because lime is the one I like :D

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Mrs used them when she worked for Target and she hated them, but I blame the fact that the Target flunkies probably didn't know how to use the thing properly.

A

Alexander the Great

I find after drinking soda water now for over 3 months its very hard to go back to drinking normal water l.. anyone else the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.