So Many Positives Be Patient

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is one game everyone there were so many positives let’s all for two seconds remember that.

1. Flanagan looked very good
2. DWZ had some very good moments
3 Coaching was a lot better

The first 5 rounds will be tough don’t expect us to win one there but after that the wins will come

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The disjointed defence is my only real concern, but I agree there definitely was some positive signs..

I'm willing to be a lot more patient.. but I need to see something really promising sooner rather than later..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The disjointed defence is my only real concern, but I agree there definitely was some positive signs..

I'm willing to be a lot more patient.. but I need to see something really promising sooner rather than later..
I think the new rules effected the defence quite a bit. Some of the defensive lines across the weekend were raggedy as fuck for half the game. It’s so quick

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is one game everyone there were so many positives let’s all for two seconds remember that.

1. Flanagan looked very good
2. DWZ had some very good moments
3 Coaching was a lot better

The first 5 rounds will be tough don’t expect us to win one there but after that the wins will come
I agree, but not on the DWZ part. He scored 2 tries by catching a ball, but he fumbled on the first tackle, 2m out from our line, and Newcastle scored straight afterwards. He is a liability. I genuinely hope he can turn it around though, as we need all of our overpaid players like him and Napa to at least perform to fg standards.
Our whole attacking structure was vastly improved, and despite all of the mistakes where we turned over possession, and despite all of the 6 agains and penalties against us, had we have scored that last try to Katoa, we would have only lost by 8 points. Not a terrible result. But certainly not a result we were all hoping for!!
There is a massive amount of improvement left in us, and as Baz said, we need to be patient. We will be a vastly improved team by the mid point of the season, and I can actually see us causing some upsets this year. So I still have faith.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
agreed.
Very happy that we finally have a halfback with direction/vision.

Cant wait to see the Flannagan and Burton combination. Add a bit of muscle to our forward pack and we look like contenders imo.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, but not on the DWZ part. He scored 2 tries by catching a ball, but he fumbled on the first tackle, 2m out from our line, and Newcastle scored straight afterwards. He is a liability. I genuinely hope he can turn it around though, as we need all of our overpaid players like him and Napa to at least perform to fg standards.
Our whole attacking structure was vastly improved, and despite all of the mistakes where we turned over possession, and despite all of the 6 agains and penalties against us, had we have scored that last try to Katoa, we would have only lost by 8 points. Not a terrible result. But certainly not a result we were all hoping for!!
There is a massive amount of improvement left in us, and as Baz said, we need to be patient. We will be a vastly improved team by the mid point of the season, and I can actually see us causing some upsets this year. So I still have faith.
Last year he wouldn't have even scored those tries he'd get himself down and butcher the tries too. Plenty to work with. He's a winger though he aint a fullback.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed.
Very happy that we finally have a halfback with direction/vision.

Cant wait to see the Flannagan and Burton combination. Add a bit of muscle to our forward pack and we look like contenders imo.
Contenders no. Not until we have a high standard hooker. Every top side has a very good number 9, all ours are D grade plodders.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Contenders no. Not until we have a high standard hooker. Every top side has a very good number 9, all ours are D grade plodders.
Agree with that. We need to see what Deitz can produce the next few weeks.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with that. We need to see what Deitz can produce the next few weeks.
Yep prepared to give him a go. Even if we have to OVERPAY for Brandon Smith we have to get it done. If that means we don't sign a prop so be it, we won't win anything without a top standard hooker

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow! ..so many positives! …yet you could only list 3, … 2 players and credit coaching was a lot better (that was a given if you compare that to Pay) ... and we should stay positive when you say we will lose our next 4 games … yeah right real positive! Lol

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! ..so many positives! …yet you could only list 3, … 2 players and credit coaching was a lot better (that was a given if you compare that to Pay) ... and we should stay positive when you say we will lose our next 4 games … yeah right real positive! Lol
Coaching is a HUGE factor...look at the top sides they have the best coaches. The halfback is so important too, you can't win jack without a decent one. There were other positives but frankly I don't want a 2 page post.

Our first 5 games were always going to be tough. Add to that it's a new game style and a new coach. Look for us to really improve after round 8-10.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Coaching is a HUGE factor...look at the top sides they have the best coaches. The halfback is so important too, you can't win jack without a decent one. There were other positives but frankly I don't want a 2 page post.

Our first 5 games were always going to be tough. Add to that it's a new game style and a new coach. Look for us to really improve after round 8-10.
Sorry mate, but that's what the pre-season is for, smart coaches wants to see improvements in their squads and mirror what they've covered in the pre-season not just in attack to be able to measure up defence, and put trust in combinations ( agree, it takes trust and time).

I'm sure it's not part of Barrett's plans for us to simply make up the numbers till round 8-10 comes around, he needs to get our defence and player rotation right and our attack will flow from that... all we really want is an equal share of possession throughout the game, but have no control when the man in the middle provides that at the back end, when our blokes are fatigued and game well beyond reach.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mate, but that's what the pre-season is for, smart coaches wants to see improvements in their squads and mirror what they've covered in the pre-season not just in attack to be able to measure up defence, and put trust in combinations ( agree, it takes trust and time).

I'm sure it's not part of Barrett's plans for us to simply make up the numbers till round 8-10 comes around, he needs to get our defence and player rotation right and our attack will flow from that... all we really want is an equal share of possession throughout the game, but have no control when the man in the middle provides that at the back end, when our blokes are fatigued and game well beyond reach.
It is called being realistic. If anyone thought we were going to make the 8 this year they were ridiculous. This was always a 3 to 4 year plan, we are 1 real game and a couple of trials into that plan Look at 2023- 2024 as a realistic contending time. We need to be patient, with more experience we will drop the ball less, and generally make the right decisions under pressure. This won't happen in a week, might be towards the backend of the year we see some signs there.