News Snap decision: Kikau aims to repay Penrith with another title after pain of leaked photo

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viliame Kikau almost cringes when you mention that photo of him wearing the Canterbury polo shirt.

“It would have been stupid [to pose] had I known that photo was going to come out,” Kikau tells The Sun-Herald. “Nothing was planned. It was strictly confidential and meant to be private.

You can’t get away with anything these days. It was pretty disappointing. I was really disappointed about it actually. It was only meant to be put out once everything was made official and to let everyone know I had signed.”

The grainy photo of Kikau standing between Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett and good friend and Canterbury football manager Phil Gould appeared online on a Friday. The timing was awful, given Kikau was due to join his Penrith teammates the next morning to celebrate the club’s premiership with fans at the foot of the mountains.

Teammates ridiculed Kikau about the signing news as they sat on an open-top bus and waved to fans lining the streets. The Penrith players were already aware the giant back-rower was headed to Belmore after he posted a lengthy message to the team’s WhatsApp group.

A small section of Penrith fans booed when Kikau’s name was read out as he entered BlueBet Stadium. He was made aware of it only when he was across the road at the leagues club and about to toast the epic grand final win over South Sydney again.

Reports later emerged a Canterbury staffer was responsible for releasing the photo and resigned before he was sacked.

Superstar co-captain Nathan Cleary was never going to tease Kikau about the unhappy snap and knew straight away how much he was hurting during the celebrations.

“It’s one of those things, and it’s not surprising in the rugby league world for things to get leaked,” Cleary said. “I felt for him because I know it had hurt him with that photo being leaked and with him having to come out the next day to all our fans.

“We already knew he was leaving. We’ll miss him a lot, not just as a footy player but as a mate. I love playing alongside him. He’s an absolute beast and an all-round good bloke.”

Kikau knew months in advance Penrith would not be able to afford his price tag beyond 2022. Four clubs quickly circled the Fijian, including former team North Queensland, while St George Illawarra also wanted a seat at the negotiation table.

However, Kikau’s relationships with Barrett and Gould, and their old ties to Penrith, put Canterbury in the box seat. Kikau eventually signed a four-year deal worth $3.2 million. Gould turned on the charm while showing him the sights of Belmore.

“The Bulldogs are a club heading in the right direction,” Kikau said. “Baz [Barrett] worked here [Penrith], as did Gus. Gus was the one who got me here to Penrith. Gus is a good man. He showed me around and told me about the plans for the club moving forward. I was really interested in everything he was saying.

“Penrith gave me this opportunity to play at the highest level. The least I can do now is try to win them another premiership. We’ve won one, but it means nothing going into this year.

“This club will always hold a special place in my heart. When I spoke with my agent, I made sure I would finish the year here at Penrith. Hopefully, we finish on another high.”

Kikau often features on the highlights reel trampling over opposition defenders. But it was his defence that pleased him and his teammates most during Penrith’s title run. He came up with some key plays in the grand final, and the tackle to deny Melbourne’s Justin Olam after full-time in round three was one of the more memorable moments of the season.

The words of co-captain Isaah Yeo during the finals series hit home with Kikau. He has made a point of adopting the same mantra as the Panthers chase back-to-back titles.

Isaah said at the time, ‘We don’t deserve anything, we have to earn everything we get’, and I really liked that,” Kikau said. “We’re starting a new year and I’ll keep [repeating] that to myself.”

Kikau had an eventful off-season, which included heading home to Fiji for the first time in more than two years, then having to delay his return after he contracted COVID-19, then welcoming his first child, Apenisa, into the world.

The COVID positive did not come through for a few days because, Kikau said, everyone was on “Fiji time”.

The 26-year-old’s father, also Apenisa, had struggled with respiratory issues all year, and coach Ivan Cleary was happy for Kikau to make the trip home instead of resuming pre-season training.

His parents were stunned when Kikau appeared in their living room. Word quickly filtered around the island. Kikau even ended up in the Fiji Times in a photo with members of the Cautata Rugby Club in Cautata Village, who cooked him dinner as a show of appreciation for providing the club its uniforms last year.

That was one photo Kikau was happy to become public.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
4 years for 3.2 mil fuck thats alot :grimacing: oh well i trust this board to not fuck us like previous did.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
4 years for 3.2 mil fuck thats alot :grimacing: oh well i trust this board to not fuck us like previous did.
Don't take it as gospel. The media aren't privy to player wages so they'll frequently throw out a guess on every signing.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I sense Kikau doesn't really give a shit..... Its a fucking photo not a sex tape. Typical media milking it for all its worth.
Of course mate, manager steps in, months later. Hey, nows the time to say something. This is what I’ve prepared, no further comments afterwards!!

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the purpose of the photo was with the intention of Kikau getting an early release. Panthers release him, we announce his signing for 2022 in our colours. Photo gets leaked, panthers refuse the release request out of spite.

I can’t see any other good reason why he’d be In our colours for the photo. Did we see Mahoney in our colours? No. All the signings we made for this year. Not in our colours until day one at the club. Whole scenario was weird.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Same as that stupid Mahoney fukin article, just add a photo. Going there blah blah, want to have a big year at my current club blah blah, always be in my heart blah blah.

What's Adam Idiot doing? surely he can give them something better to write about. Surely his pecker is suffocating by now having not been in the newspaper for a little bit lol

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's Adam Idiot doing? surely he can give them something better to write about. Surely his pecker is suffocating by now having not been in the newspaper for a little bit lol
it hasn't been in the paper but he's been suffocating it in millie boyle instead. surprised he's actually gone a pre season without another drunken incident though - i don't want to go the early crow, there are still 40 odd days before round 1

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the purpose of the photo was with the intention of Kikau getting an early release. Panthers release him, we announce his signing for 2022 in our colours. Photo gets leaked, panthers refuse the release request out of spite.

I can’t see any other good reason why he’d be In our colours for the photo. Did we see Mahoney in our colours? No. All the signings we made for this year. Not in our colours until day one at the club. Whole scenario was weird.
And we know how spiteful the pennies can be......obviously kicks will be better developed and earn valuable experience at the cats...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its top end $ for his position. But he is also top end in his position, so it should be ok.
i'm scared
800k a year for a pussycat backrower who can play... My big question is in 2025/26/27 is he still a backrower? Can this cat transition into a middle forward and play hard footy as he gets bigger and slower?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
800k a year for a pussycat backrower who can play... My big question is in 2025/26/27 is he still a backrower? Can this cat transition into a middle forward and play hard footy as he gets bigger and slower?
We didn't sign him till 2027. 4 seasons is 2026 (23,24,25,26).

Dog’n’Bone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its top end $ for his position. But he is also top end in his position, so it should be ok.
don’t know of too many edge fwds earning that kind of ca$h. Crighton and Fifita maybe the only others? I don’t think players in this position should be getting paid more than 600/650 full stop. Big contracts are always best invested in the spine

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We didn't sign him till 2027. 4 seasons is 2026 (23,24,25,26).
True true, though i just realised something that might shock you and many around here,..

He will be turning 27 this year so that means we grab him at 28 for 800k a year which means were paying 800k a year for a 32 yr old backrower?

Do i have it right?

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True true, though i just realised something that might shock you and many around here,..

He will be turning 27 this year so that means we grab him at 28 for 800k a year which means were paying 800k a year for a 32 yr old backrower?

Do i have it right?
At least Hasler wasn't involved and backended the deal. We'd be paying 4 mill a season for a 32 year old.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Do i have it right?
forwards dont hit their peak until 28 relax, why so negative? he is the best edge forwards arguably in the comp and you are fukn wingeing

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
forwards dont hit their peak until 28 relax, why so negative? he is the best edge forwards arguably in the comp and you are fukn wingeing
Mate its a big fukn gamble expecting to fork out 800k for a 32 year old edger.