Snakes

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Snakes are alright. Especially Australian snakes. They're either non-venomous or they're just too scared to do anything other than run away.

The really venomous ones are quick but they also spend most of their time sunbaking. The only time you have to worry is if you're walking through thick grass and the snake is asleep and you step on it. At that time it's likely to freak out 'cause it's trapped, then it'll turn around and bite you.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Snakes are alright. Especially Australian snakes. They're either non-venomous or they're just too scared to do anything other than run away.

The really venomous ones are quick but they also spend most of their time sunbaking. The only time you have to worry is if you're walking through thick grass and the snake is asleep and you step on it. At that time it's likely to freak out 'cause it's trapped, then it'll turn around and bite you.
Sounds like todd Greenberg

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't really agree with killing them, and after the comment from the bloke I chucked the local snake catchers number in my phone.

He relocates them back to the bush.

Had a few encounters with browns and barefoot lol, they will more than likely fuck off before you would know they are there.
If you startle them could get a bit narky.
Stomp around areas you may think are iffy drag a stick.
70% of bites are from people trying to catch the snake or fuck around with it.
Only a few people die a year from snake bites. More people win the lotto every week. So buy a lotto ticket you're odds are better than a snake bite
I'm more concerned about our dog.

Yeah so I've read... because at the end of the day if you're a snake you don't have unlimited venom in your glands.

So if you waste it pissing about on something that you aren't intending to kill and eat, you're pretty much up shit creek if a predatory bird happens to be in the area.

Round here that's possible too. I've seen the odd fox around here too and they'll take down a snake.

Any mice / frogs get eaten by the snakes (and foxes/birds), so it's a win win ecosystem really.

FMD I hate snakes. They are the devils pet. I prefer RBBS though as they kill EB. Glad that our inland taipan (world's deadliest snake) is shy and won't attack unless provoked.

All in all, thank FUCK we don't have the black-mother-fucking-mamba here!
That's a tough one. Mamba has a bad reputation because it inhabits areas with human interaction (hence more deaths from them), plus they grow large.

However Inland Taipans (Fierce Snakes) have the deadliest venom (LD50) of any snake in the world. Second Eastern Brown, Third Coastal Taipan. GO AUSTRALIA!!!

Hence if you are in a position to get bitten by either, hedge your bets on the Mamba, because if the Inland Taipan / Coastal Taipan gets you, you're in a box.

Eastern Browns account for 60% of human deaths from snake bites a year.

On another note someone died the other week in Australia from a Banded Sea Krait Snake!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Mamba has a bad reputation because it inhabits areas with human interaction (hence more deaths from them), plus they grow large.

However Inland Taipans (Fierce Snakes) have the deadliest venom (LD50) of any snake in the world. Second Eastern Brown, Third Coastal Taipan. GO AUSTRALIA!!!

Hence if you are in a position to get bitten by either, hedge your bets on the Mamba, because if the Inland Taipan / Coastal Taipan gets you, you're in a box.

Eastern Browns account for 60% of human deaths from snake bites a year.

On another note someone died the other week in Australia from a Banded Sea Krait Snake!
If a black mamba bites you, you're dead. It will take 3 mins from the time they bite you to take effect... there's nothing that can be done unless they just bite you with a "warning bite" (which means no venom is used) but considering how territorial those ugly fuckers are, there's little chance of them warning you. They'll just go in for the kill.

Inland Taipans have the deadliest venom for any surface snake in the world, but won't bite you if you're simply walking past minding your own business. They'll only bite if provoked - meaning it you're handling it or accidentally step on one.

RBBS are immune to the EB bite. I saw a video a few months back of a RBBS eating an EB. It was taking its time too (as you'd expect). The EB was biting the RBBS but it did nothing. Just continued slowing eating it. What a fucked up way to go out.

World's most deadly snake is the Faint-Banded Sea Snake. Their venom is 100 times that of a cobra, and just a few milligrams is capable of killing over 1,000 humans.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Had a few encounters with browns and barefoot lol, they will more than likely fuck off before you would know they are there.
If you startle them could get a bit narky.
Stomp around areas you may think are iffy drag a stick.
70% of bites are from people trying to catch the snake or fuck around with it.
Only a few people die a year from snake bites. More people win the lotto every week. So buy a lotto ticket you're odds are better than a snake bite
The majority of snake bites occir around the house and usually from the hand to the elbow. It usually happens moving timber etc when they are disturbed and frighten. Its actually very rare that you will see them out bush walking and be bitten, and contrary to what every backpacker thinks, they dont chase and attack you. Except for the ol hoop snake. Lol
Be very careful moving shit that has been laying around the place for a long while. And like you said, bang it with a stick and stomp around if your worries there could be one there.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Snakes are my biggest fear.

When i was about 15, i stepped on a EB near my house. Lucky my brother was with me because i fainted when i looked down.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The majority of snake bites occir around the house and usually from the hand to the elbow. It usually happens moving timber etc when they are disturbed and frighten. Its actually very rare that you will see them out bush walking and be bitten, and contrary to what every backpacker thinks, they dont chase and attack you. Except for the ol hoop snake. Lol
Be very careful moving shit that has been laying around the place for a long while. And like you said, bang it with a stick and stomp around if your worries there could be one there.
The old hoop snake ;)

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
In my time I’ve nearly stepped on 2 red bellies.

I shit myself, and then the snake shits itself.
I end up running one way and the snake slithers off another way!

I swear snakes are just as scared if not more scared than us!
Like a lizard without legs, only it will bite and pump you,with venom of it feels threatened!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Most people in Australia who get bitten by snakes are snake wranglers or stupid bogan morons who think it’s funny to torment the snake.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefullyafter 1st Nov we might have something juicy to talk about

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So apparently snake season is upon us.

Walking the pooch yesterday around our area (with wifey) and a worker from a nearby subdivision that's been cleared ready for building goes "oi mate do you live around here".

I'm like "Yep we do".

He's like "just letting you know I saw 2 large Eastern Browns sunning themselves on the road right there earlier today".

We thanked him and them I'm like "fuck I hate snakes" to my wife.

They just scare the shit out of me, and I reckon I'd totally freeze in fear if I spotted one.

Going to have to be extra vigilant now around the area, but was doing some reading and apparently Sydney is set for large Red Bellied Black Snake and Eastern Brown numbers this year..

FAN-TASTIC!

That said apparently RBBS and EB snakes are actually shy and prefer to retreat than attack (given limited venom). Luckily too our dog wouldn't be interested in attacking them, she just loves sniffing things and hanging close to humans.

Still tis a concern.
I hate the Mother f.....s, very dangerous especially the BS, I had many close encounters with them but I win all off them lol. The best way, stay away from them

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
In my time I’ve nearly stepped on 2 red bellies.

I shit myself, and then the snake shits itself.
I end up running one way and the snake slithers off another way!

I swear snakes are just as scared if not more scared than us!
Like a lizard without legs, only it will bite and pump you,with venom of it feels threatened!
I guess just like humans, most should be ok until provoked, knowingly or not.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only time you have to fear snakes is when they get on a plane.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well if you wanna hear a bit of a cool story. I live in Burwood - about halfway between Parra and the City for those who don't know geographically where that is - and our back fence is shared with a housing commission.

About 2 years ago, someone spotted the sheded skin of a snake. They thought it was just a prank, given some of the houseO's get visitors in from country/rural areas. But anyway, they decided to call in a few snake wranglers to come in and do some recon.

They set up numerous traps, and left them for a few days. They left them around a garden bed, where the skin was found. Came back a few days later to find FIFTEEN Eastern Brown Snakes. I shit you not. In the middle of the inner west. Many of them were very small, but they found a "mama and papa". They left the traps up for a few days to see if there were anymore around.

They came back and found a further 9. They were supremely confident they got them all.

Scariest part is - my nieces and nephews play literally within about 20 metres of this garden bed. No one was hurt or injured but honestly.. fudge me that was scary.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if you wanna hear a bit of a cool story. I live in Burwood - about halfway between Parra and the City for those who don't know geographically where that is - and our back fence is shared with a housing commission.

About 2 years ago, someone spotted the sheded skin of a snake. They thought it was just a prank, given some of the houseO's get visitors in from country/rural areas. But anyway, they decided to call in a few snake wranglers to come in and do some recon.

They set up numerous traps, and left them for a few days. They left them around a garden bed, where the skin was found. Came back a few days later to find FIFTEEN Eastern Brown Snakes. I shit you not. In the middle of the inner west. Many of them were very small, but they found a "mama and papa". They left the traps up for a few days to see if there were anymore around.

They came back and found a further 9. They were supremely confident they got them all.

Scariest part is - my nieces and nephews play literally within about 20 metres of this garden bed. No one was hurt or injured but honestly.. fudge me that was scary.
Far out thats enough to unsettle anyone

Wahesh

Reaction score

See Burwood isn't too far from Homebush and Bicentennial Park and all the bush-land that was around prior to Olympic Park being built. I'm no expert but it wouldn't surprise me if that's had something to do with a minor snake migration. I mean if they found the mamma and papa that means they contained the family from spreading in that area. But yep, serpents usually migrate with their mates. That explains why there were so many.