Snakes

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So apparently snake season is upon us.

Walking the pooch yesterday around our area (with wifey) and a worker from a nearby subdivision that's been cleared ready for building goes "oi mate do you live around here".

I'm like "Yep we do".

He's like "just letting you know I saw 2 large Eastern Browns sunning themselves on the road right there earlier today".

We thanked him and them I'm like "fuck I hate snakes" to my wife.

They just scare the shit out of me, and I reckon I'd totally freeze in fear if I spotted one.

Going to have to be extra vigilant now around the area, but was doing some reading and apparently Sydney is set for large Red Bellied Black Snake and Eastern Brown numbers this year..

FAN-TASTIC!

That said apparently RBBS and EB snakes are actually shy and prefer to retreat than attack (given limited venom). Luckily too our dog wouldn't be interested in attacking them, she just loves sniffing things and hanging close to humans.

Still tis a concern.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had a few encounters with browns and barefoot lol, they will more than likely fuck off before you would know they are there.
If you startle them could get a bit narky.
Stomp around areas you may think are iffy drag a stick.
70% of bites are from people trying to catch the snake or fuck around with it.
Only a few people die a year from snake bites. More people win the lotto every week. So buy a lotto ticket you're odds are better than a snake bite

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Snakes are everywhere up here. Saw just a small fella (or shiela) a couple of weeks ago in the front yard, but looked pretty harmless.

I'm probably more worried about the dog.He's only about 7kg, so wouldn't last long if bitten by a brown snake whilst i was out.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just laughed to myself of a story of when i was courting Mrs CD.

So, we went for a road trip to Northern Thailand with her parents, partly for my now Father in Law to research a book he was writing. Being keen to make an impression, I suggested I was happy to be his photographer for the day. Little did I know, it would involve traipsing waist high grass on a super hot day, on the edge of the jungle about an hour out of Chiang Mai, looking for some long lost abandoned temple (probably never seen by a westerner before). Afterwards, it was confirmed the area was full of cobras.

On the plus side, we found the temple, and the following evening he gave me his blessing to marry his daughter, and he also gave me photography credits when he released his book. Not sure how my travel insurance would have went if I had in fact been bitten by one of those angry cobras.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
@Wahesh
An angry brown for you lol
FMD I hate snakes. They are the devils pet. I prefer RBBS though as they kill EB. Glad that our inland taipan (world's deadliest snake) is shy and won't attack unless provoked.

All in all, thank FUCK we don't have the black-mother-fucking-mamba here!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Years ago, a cousin of mine, who lives in Weipa, and got bitten by a tiger snake whilst walking her dog. Miles from any medical assistance, and with no mobile reception, she walked the couple of kays back to her home, then drove herself to the small hospital there, and somehow survived. They breed them pretty tough up north.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
FMD I hate snakes. They are the devils pet. I prefer RBBS though as they kill EB. Glad that our inland taipan (world's deadliest snake) is shy and won't attack unless provoked.

All in all, thank FUCK we don't have the black-mother-fucking-mamba here!
I reckon the devil is half cat and half snake lol

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Out hunting last weekend and me and my mate sat down against a tree to have a spell, I get up to go again and looked at him only to see a brown snake curled up next to him
I rkn only thing that stopped him getting bitten was it was early in the morning n still cool
I've never seen a bloke crawl, scratch, wiggle out of there so fucking quick lol

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1539776788793.jpg

Funny this thread started today because this mother fucker right here decided to make an appearance while I was sitting in the beer garden at my local drinking hole with a couple of mates.

I fucking hate snakes!!