Smith stays at Storm, Newton leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smith stays at Storm, Newton leaves
Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:11 PM

Melbourne Storm backrower Jeremy Smith has rejected a lucrative three-year offer from the St George-Illawarra Dragons to remain with the 2007 Premiers.

The uncompromising backrower stated that a sense of loyalty to the club who had given him an NRL lifeline, and the possibility of continued success in the future were the main reasons behind his decision.

“I just felt at this stage of my career, the best place to be playing rugby league is here in Melbourne,” said Smith.

“The club gave me another opportunity at NRL level and I am eternally indebted to them for that.

“We’ve got a great coach at the helm in Craig Bellamy, and plenty of quality players in the squad so I don’t see any reason why we can’t have continued success here for the foreseeable future.

“Even though the offer I received was a good one, I’m happy to have made the decision to stay and can’t wait for the 2008 season to start.”

Unfortunately, Smith’s decision to remain with the Storm means the club has no room to move under the salary cap to re-sign fellow backrower Clint Newton.

Newton, who joined the Storm from Newcastle mid-season after a falling out with coach Brian Smith, is disappointed with the situation but fully understands the club’s position.

“I’ve had a great time at the Storm and I’ll always be grateful they gave me the chance to continue playing in the NRL when I left Newcastle,” said Newton.

“The way they accepted me and made me feel at ease when I arrived is a credit to everyone involved at the club.

“Craig Bellamy is a tremendous coach, and with the players he has at his disposal there’s no reason why they can’t be just as successful in the next couple of seasons as they were this year.

“I can’t speak highly enough of the club and if there’s a chance of playing for them again in the future I’d definitely be interested.”

Although disappointed with having to leave the Storm, Newton is delighted the club has secured Smith’s services for 2008.

“I know what sort of industry this is and I’m glad Jeremy and his family are secure with their future in Melbourne,” said Newton.

“I have a very good relationship with Jez and I have a lot of respect for him as a person and as a player and I wish him and his family all the best for the future.”

Storm CEO Brian Waldron was delighted with Newton’s contribution to Melbourne’s premiership success, and would look to re-sign Newton in the future if the possibility arose.

“What Clint has done with the Storm in six months has been nothing short of sensational,” said Waldron.

“He immersed himself in the club immediately and became part of the Storm family from the moment he arrived. He’s a great personality to have around the place and he was a popular figure among the players and staff.

“He’s been a terrific addition to this club, as has been the involvement of his parents Jack and Jackie and his sister Kirsty, and if there’s an opportunity in the future to have Clint here in Melbourne again we’ll do our best to make it happen.”

Source: NRL

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
What was he expecting. The Melbourne side is packed with stars and Smith is more valuable to the squad than he is. Newton should be grateful that he got a Premiership and move on.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Surprised the Rooters haven't put out a massive offer for this guy yet..

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
meh..if i was him i wouldve stayed but yeh what can we do

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I feel bad for Newtwon, as he had a Great Lift in his Career because of the Storm & now he's got to leave due to the System of the Cap invented by none other than Gallop.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will eventually end up in the Super League with either the Bulls, Warrington, Leeds or Hull FC.

B

bruce

He was on match payments i think. so he wasn't going to get a contract after they just won the final. the other off contract players would demand heaps more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.