[SMH] Canterbury Bulldogs free up cash with departure of Curtis Rona and Tim Browne

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury will part company with Curtis Rona and Tim Browne at the end of the season in moves that could free up cash for a play at Kieran Foran.

Rona will cross codes to link up with Super Rugby franchise Western Force, while Browne has signed with Penrith.

Browne is an unheralded contributor to an all-star Bulldogs pack, making all 79 of his first-grade appearances for the club since his debut in 2010. The 28-year-old grew up in the Penrith district and the western Sydney club has tried for several seasons to sign him. The Panthers have finally got their man and will add the 194-centimetre, 112-kilogram prop to an impressive pack already containing Trent Merrin, Regan Campbell-Gillard, Sam McKendry, Leilani Latu and James Fisher-Harris.

Rona is contracted to Canterbury until the end of next year, but is poised to receive a release to switch codes. Rona has been a prolific try scorer for the Bulldogs since switching from North Queensland in 2015, scoring 25 tries from 45 games. His tally of 23 last year was second only to Parramatta's Dally M winger of the year Semi Radradra.

Born in Waitara, New Zealand, Rona has previously played rugby and grew up in Perth and is seeking to head back to the region. The 24-year-old was part of the New Zealand squad that toured England last year but he didn't play a game after flying back early to witness the birth of his first child.

Rona, who was a member of the Western Force academy while playing both codes in Western Australia, is ineligible for State of Origin selection, but could yet qualify for the Wallabies. It's understood Rona's interest in the 15-man code has piqued the interest of national coach Michael Cheika and the Bulldogs are resigned to losing him.

The Bulldogs are the favourites to sign Foran if he resumes his NRL career, although that is far from a certainty given his many off-field issues. The Eels stripped Foran of the captaincy and granted an early release to allow the former Kiwi international to get his life back in order.

Despite being below their best for most of the season, the Bulldogs are sit in the top four and can take an important step towards cementing the position with a win against Manly on Thursday night.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rtis-rona-and-tim-browne-20160809-gqoc8u.html

We're screwed.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
finucane gone
Pritchard gone
Rona gone

our squad is getting duller and duller no one to wack in defence, no one to offload through the line now no one to score those much needed tries in the corner...........fark me could we get any more boring

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
if he is offered better money and wants to go, why keep him? Why keep a bloke who's heart isn't in it for one more year?
Because he signed a contract and he actually is good player, we just keep losing good players or can't get any sigh haha

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care that people will hate this statement but if we had to choose between our 2 current centres, I'd prefer JMoz be the one let go. We have to keep Rona he's been amazing!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care that people will hate this statement but if we had to choose between our 2 current centres, I'd prefer JMoz be the one let go. We have to keep Rona he's been amazing!
Cant disagree there at all , this news has really fucking got me down

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Des will just buy more forwards (must hate super coach as you can only have 10 forwards max in your 17) and Sam Perret will probably get a 16yr contract extension

Hasler is killing the Bulldogs

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bet des won't upgrade his contract yet keep signing duds

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, it was pretty obvious after we signed Brenko Lee that Rona had already verbally advised the club of his intentions to sign a contract back home in WA with a club and code he is familiar with. His family is still over there, it makes sense. These guys are human, sometimes money isn't always the motivator.

Good luck to him, he was a super find for us and I don't recall seeing a game where he played poorly.

He's still with us this year and let's hope he helps us win a flag!!

Moving forward, we need to put some faith in Brenko.

Though agree with the recruitment and retention thoughts in this thread, you shake your head sometimes..

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If rona goes its obviously because he wants to return home and there is not a great deal we can do about that. Blaming des makes no sense here.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If rona goes its obviously because he wants to return home and there is not a great deal we can do about that. Blaming des makes no sense here.
he's contracted next year...so yes we can blame des

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
i was so excited when we signed rona. finally we had a tall, quick and reliable young outside back, after god knows how long.

now its back to square one.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he's contracted next year...so yes we can blame des
Well toofu has stated several times that rona will see out his contract so maybe rona will go the following year. Will we blame des then?

Status
Not open for further replies.