Sly backhand from Hasler: 'Toovs didn't need to change much'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler says Geoff Toovey didn't have to change much when he took over at Manly

Link to Video

Canterbury-Bankstown coach Des Hasler has praised former apprentice Geoff Toovey for not "tinkering" with a winning formula at Brookvale this season.

Ahead of Friday night’s third instalment of Hasler’s rivalry with his old club, the two-time premiership winner also issued a deliberate reminder of Manly’s status as title favourites.

"They’ve not had to change too much," Hasler said.
"Toovs is smart for doing that. He’s not had to tinker with too much or change too much.
"They’ve had a tough year. They’ve had injuries and suspensions. They’ve shown resolve and resilience to make the finals.
“They’ll be a force to be contended with.
“I told you they were the benchmark but no-one would believe me.”

The finals opener also shapes as a decider of sorts between the two heavyweights, who’ve split their two encounters thus far.

Canterbury hold bragging rights after penetrating Fortress Brookvale six weeks ago, when they overcame a brutal bashing to win 22-12 despite losing Kris Keating and Sam Kasiono inside the first 20 minutes.

But Hasler said that feat counted for little.

“It was a great contest and we know the type of game it’s going to be,” Hasler said.

“We’ve (played) reasonable footy, but we’re going to have to take it up a notch against an outstanding Manly side.”
He's pretty much saying that a monkey could have stepped into the coaching role and taken Manly to the finals, after he (Hasler) moulded that team into what it is.

I'll give Manly 1 or 2 more years before they start falling apart

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
In other words, Hasler has just told toovey that I know the exact style and structure you will play cause i created and implemented it. So, whatever you throw at us we will have already prepared for it.

This will now put Toovey in two minds, does he a) play the same style and structure he inherited from Hasler - knowing that it wont be as effective against the bulldogs.... OR b) try to come up with new set plays and moves and this new style of play could back fire..........

Hasler is the KING of mind games...... :grinning:

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
"They’ve not had to change too much," Hasler said.
When translated, this reads: "Toovey didn't need to do anythging. I left him the NRL premiers."

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. When their older players start to hang up the boots and new blood is required, that is when Toovey will probably end up exposed.

Argue all they want, but it's the sad reality. Toovey is completely unproven as a coach, and only doing well because he has them playing the same style and game that Hasler taught them.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In other words, Hasler has just told toovey that I know the exact style and structure you will play cause i created and implemented it. So, whatever you throw at us we will have already prepared for it.

This will now put Toovey in two minds, does he a) play the same style and structure he inherited from Hasler - knowing that it wont be as effective against the bulldogs.... OR b) try to come up with new set plays and moves and this new style of play could back fire..........

Exactly what I took out of it. Hasler knows every manly players strengths and weaknesses. Providing we play to his plan, I think we will win. It will be very tough though

matt78

Waterboy
Reaction score
i dont look into media reports or comments to much ... he could be also saying that their an establish team and if its not broken dont fix it...im sure manly is not identical to last year things always change.

at the end of the day whether either side knows each others weakness or strengths the players on the field will be putting in more effort to get the simple things right than trying to embarass their opposition.

the team with less mistakes will take the advantage... barba hasnt proven himself ( imo ) under the high ball under pressure

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
How would Tooves have gone coaching us this year??? I doubt we would have been anywhere near 1st

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score

Yeah, i agree with you there scorpio

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Toovey is a ****ing loser. Has NFI how to play mind games like Des can & he never will. He's bloody blessed with the team Hasler left him & he came up with that crap yesterday? What a faggot ! Hasler is absolutely right.

PS. LMAO @ "I told you they were the benchmark, none of you believed me." Love you Des. Never change.

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
Great spelling on kasiano retards

matt78

Waterboy
Reaction score
Spot on, all that needs to be said really.
very valid point !!! there is no doubt that hasler is a better coach than toovey !!! but that comes with experience des has 8 more years over toovey , so it isnt really apples for apples...

but at present i dont think anyone can say toovey is better

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
He's pretty much saying that a monkey could have stepped into the coaching role and taken Manly to the finals, after he (Hasler) moulded that team into what it is.

I'll give Manly 1 or 2 more years before they start falling apart
I heard these comments and the context in how they were made. I truly believe that Des was paying RESPECT to Toov's. I didn't hear or see any disrespect at all. Toov's has continued Des's work for sure, but he does have a champion team to do that.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard these comments and the context in how they were made. I truly believe that Des was paying RESPECT to Toov's. I didn't hear or see any disrespect at all. Toov's has continued Des's work for sure, but he does have a champion team to do that.
Maybe. But I think it was a very cleverly disguised backhand. wishkaa

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
barba hasnt proven himself ( imo ) under the high ball under pressure
Well, I don't know what games you've been watching, but considering they've thrown everything at him every week and he took the ball like a champ every time, knowing all too well that he was moments away from getting hammered, (example, Tigers game. Beau "f*ckwitt" Ryan made it his mission to take him out in the air every time) and Barba never missed a beat.

It's Jono Wright who is suspect under the highball at times, not to say he's not brilliant when he's on fire, just hard to tell what your gonna get on game day with him.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score

great point!

Status
Not open for further replies.