Skill Development - Catch and Pass

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good to see the positivity in the pre-season on here.

In reply to Sky-Dog, it was always going to be tough for Deano to come straight in, rattle the cage and change players habits immediately after the majority of the squad had played under Dessie for the last 4 seasons. He has slowly started to shape and mould the roster to suit his style he wants to implement and the players he needs to implement it.

I think the players started to believe in Deano's game plan at the back end of the year as the passes stuck the confidence grew and I think that has led to the huge catch and pass focus for the start of this pre-season and the buy in from senior leadership group.

I'd much prefer to see this skill development going on now (before xmas) because lets be honest the players go away over xmas and indulge a little before returning. I can understand from a S&C and Sports Science the benefit of setting a base to build from in pre-season (pre xmas) but I'd much prefer see the basic fundamentals worked on before setting a cardio base after xmas. Anyone can flog a side army style and get them rock hard fit. Is it making them a better player???

Keep growing individuals and keep the skill development going Deano and the coaching team! Great start to 2019 season

PS: Love the appointment of the players welfare girl to look after partners and family's, getting back to our core value of being a family club.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great post and really got me thinking about Pay's playing days for us. Looking back on it, Robert Relf stands out for me as he was never a super star but had the ability to offload. In fact, looking back at all of those final series we were in around that time across the park we looked to catch and pass a lot.

When's the last time we had that in the team? Honest question guys, because I really can't tell.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its interesting to see such emphasis on akls at this time of the year. If im not mistaken they are normally focused on strength and fitness at this time. But its pretty obvious that we really need to be spending extra time on our skill set. Even our basics. And to be honest, they looked super focused and accurate.
Lets hope they also get wipped into shape too though!!! We cant afford to be underdone to atart the season. I have faith they wont be though.
Go the doggies. Cant wait for next season!!!

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crisp passing game... lol lets start that with our dummy half
Dont know why your laughing ? Exactly to teach useless ***** like our hooker. I dont think u understand the importance of crisp passing.....
Do u watch football ?

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good to see the positivity in the pre-season on here.

In reply to Sky-Dog, it was always going to be tough for Deano to come straight in, rattle the cage and change players habits immediately after the majority of the squad had played under Dessie for the last 4 seasons. He has slowly started to shape and mould the roster to suit his style he wants to implement and the players he needs to implement it.

I think the players started to believe in Deano's game plan at the back end of the year as the passes stuck the confidence grew and I think that has led to the huge catch and pass focus for the start of this pre-season and the buy in from senior leadership group.

I'd much prefer to see this skill development going on now (before xmas) because lets be honest the players go away over xmas and indulge a little before returning. I can understand from a S&C and Sports Science the benefit of setting a base to build from in pre-season (pre xmas) but I'd much prefer see the basic fundamentals worked on before setting a cardio base after xmas. Anyone can flog a side army style and get them rock hard fit. Is it making them a better player???

Keep growing individuals and keep the skill development going Deano and the coaching team! Great start to 2019 season

PS: Love the appointment of the players welfare girl to look after partners and family's, getting back to our core value of being a family club.

Thanks Nakidog for sharing your coaching insight, another very interesting post and understanding what goes into into skill development and basic fundamentals to get our boys back on track.
I can’t wait for next season.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give it a couple of years and I feel like Lachie Lewis will make a great leader. He’s mature beyond his years and seems to have his head really screwed on. I hope he has a massive future as a Bulldog.
Yes he will develop really well until another team makes him a big offer mid contract and we bend over..

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like the post, but I still feel we are lacking a top grade on field leader.
Jacko is a great player. But hes to quiet, and the players dont appear to look for directions from him.
Would be great to have a Terry Lamb clone come along.
Leaders don't need to say much... they lead by example... and Jacko does plenty of that...