News Six Tackles With Gus Podcast

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can provide a link. Brief summary :

- Alot of work has already been done behind the scenes
- Not sure how long it will take to fix us but definitely not saying it will be a long time
- Whilst its important to be involved in the community the main thing is results
- Sees resilience and motivation in our performances this year. Just dont have the cattle
- He has already compared our roster with other rosters and their estimated salaries (he has said previously he does this to identify teams that may be under cap pressure so he can tap certain player managers on the shoulder)
- Talks more about cap management and the need to develop younger players because you get them for unders
- Very important not to panic buy
- Says player market is hot at the moment because there are 6 or 8 clubs who have their cap in a mess
- Looking at some sort of role for Isaac

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A few places you can get it, but here’s one:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few places you can get it, but here’s one:
Thanks mate. Its worth a listen for sure

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some very important points there. We've panic bought a few players, good to gear we won't be doing that any more but we're wasting cap space now. Also good to hear footy in front of community service, some of the people previously involved with the club lost sight of that.

Puppuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can provide a link. Brief summary :

- Alot of work has already been done behind the scenes
- Not sure how long it will take to fix us but definitely not saying it will be a long time
- Whilst its important to be involved in the community the main thing is results
- Sees resilience and motivation in our performances this year. Just dont have the cattle
- He has already compared our roster with other rosters and their estimated salaries (he has said previously he does this to identify teams that may be under cap pressure so he can tap certain player managers on the shoulder)
- Talks more about cap management and the need to develop younger players because you get them for unders
- Very important not to panic buy
- Says player market is hot at the moment because there are 6 or 8 clubs who have their cap in a mess
- Looking at some sort of role for Isaac
Excellent. The CBO position is just waiting to be filled.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really interesting to hear about Gus' squad valuation experiment. Get some to write down what they feel the market value of each player in a given squad is, and compare. If most people have your squad's market value at well below the cap, you have a problem and you need to do something about it. Seems obvious, but there is something about getting the decision makers to actually do the exercise that you can see would have an impact.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a good listen. Goes for the first 20 mins of the podcast. I liked how Gus talked about there being some people who are just very good at watching a 17 year old and knowing what they'll be like at 22-23 - in the context of cap management and getting value out of cheaper locally developed or recruited youngsters. Sounds obvious, but we've lacked that for a long time, probably cause the really good spotters are rare - but they are there. Melbourne have obviously got some! He gave Peter Sharp at bit of a wrap for talent scouting and development.

He also talked about talking to the playing group and some of the messages he gave them - like asking them who didn't have something to play for for the rest of the year? He did talk about rotating the players to get a good look at them this year, and he sounded like he'd be picking the team from now on.

He's also clearly the hire/fire man for the whole footy side of things and mentioned how his focus early at Penrith was to get the right people in place. He also said we already have very good people in important roles.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really interesting to hear about Gus' squad valuation experiment. Get some to write down what they feel the market value of each player in a given squad is, and compare. If most people have your squad's market value at well below the cap, you have a problem and you need to do something about it. Seems obvious, but there is something about getting the decision makers to actually do the exercise that you can see would have an impact.
We’re lucky on this forum to have bradyk to do this for us

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Why Dogs opted against attaining Tevita Pangai Junior immediately, footy boss Phil Gould reveals

41 minutes ago
The Bulldogs opted against snapping up Tevita Pangai Junior immediately so they could start the new pre-season with "a clean slate" and give those already on their roster a chance to "make a statement", new footy boss Phil Gould has revealed.

Canterbury announced this week that Pangai Junior had committed to a three-year deal beginning in November, giving the talented front-rower a home after he was told by the Broncos he was unwanted.

Nine's Danny Weidler is reporting that Pangai Junior will head to the Bulldogs via the Panthers, after agreeing to a short-term deal with Penrith for the remainder of this season.

Gould, who's less than a week into his job as Canterbury's general manager of football, explained the decision to not immediately sign Pangai Junior on Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"We would just like to start with a clean slate come November," Gould said.

"That's what we've budgeted for.

"At the moment we're in last position, I really want to have a look at the players we've got and one of my first priorities is to give all of these players (a chance)."

Tevita Pangai Junior crashes into the Titans defence in Broncos colours. (Getty)
The Bulldogs are now based in a hub on the Gold Coast and Gould said he had addressed the playing group in a Zoom call.

"I spoke to them by Zoom last night for the first time in camp up there in Queensland, just a short conversation to say, 'Hello, I'm here, if there's anything you need feel free to call'," Gould said.

"And [I was] virtually saying, 'Look, I'm wiping the slate clean with all of you, you've got a clean slate with me, you've got the last period of the competition to still make a statement about yourself, both as an individual and a team, and whether or not you want to be a part of the Bulldogs in the future'.

"And that's what football is. It's train hard, play hard, never give up and show your consistent performance.

"I said, 'Whatever's happened up until now doesn't interest me; I just want to see what you can do from this point on'. I want to see if we can get some sort of reaction from players that might on the fringe. I said, 'Whatever stage your career is in at the moment - doesn't matter how old you are or how many games you've played or where you think you're posted - tell me why a good finish to the season would benefit you at this stage'."

Tevita Pangai Junior as a Bronco. (Getty)
In the meantime, Gould has the opportunity to see how Pangai Junior fares in a new environment, as the Tonga international bolsters the Panthers in their pursuit of their first NRL premiership since 2003.

Gould understands Penrith's thinking behind attaining Pangai Junior on a short-term deal, noting depth and the former Bronco's enormous potential.

Front-rower James Fisher-Harris will return to Sydney after this weekend's clash with Brisbane for the both of his child and, despite the Panthers' request for him to be granted an exemption, the New Zealand international will need to spend two weeks in a Queensland quarantine hotel before rejoining the squad.

In an additional test of Penrith's depth in the forward pack, NSW State of Origin workhorse Isaah Yeo will need a break before the finals to freshen up, Gould says.

The rugby league guru believes the Panthers' short-term attainment of Pangai Junior was a smart call.

"It'll help the Panthers come into the finals pretty well refreshed and if they can pick up a damaging forward like Tevita Pangai Junior it just might be the difference between beating the Melbourne Storm and not beating the Melbourne Storm on grand final day," Gould said.

"Tevita may arrive at the Bulldogs as a premiership-winner come November, which would be a wonderful experience for him."

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think the ‘clean slate’ thing from Gus is a bit of lip service. At this stage of the year and with 13 still off contract there’s simply no way that all of them will be considered for retention, so why bother saying that?