Sione katoa

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has a great pass from dummy half but it is inconsistent. For as many great passes there were passes that made the receiver stop or even have to reach behind them.

Maybe that is partly a team structure thing, really hope he comes good, because he offers something a bit different to JMK, and on the bench he at least provides some cover for the middle forwards as well. Also, he wants to be here, which is never a bad thing.

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I reckon it’s hard to say, at times he throws some great balls from the ground and other times fair way off the mark. I do think he has a good feel of when to run from DH though.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looks a better back rower then a hooker. Does rocket passes off the ground, but some are behind the player so by the time and catch it you lose momentum.

I liked his runs, but there was a reason he was dropped for a while.

Fact of the matter is JMK should be our bench utility next year, I feel that if he only has 10-15 mins to come on and do something he is more suited to it with his speed. Funny that his best games have been ones that he has a break, comes back on a has a big run. Katoa does have a nice looking pass, but as mentioned above it didnt always hit the mark, he isnt a starter so no point to think he is.

We still need a starting hooker, a fullback, and a half. We have some decent outside backs, and some not bad forwards (hopefully Ogden and toomaga can develop with their fitness in the offseason and can get more mins next season).

Katoa will always be a handy back up when needed, but he doesnt have the quality to be a starter, and not a bigger improvement over JMK to leap frog him on the bench, even though slotting him at 13 has worked in the past.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't it him tossing those balls over Wakehams head?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like him off the bench coming on at lock while acting as that utility type forward. He gives us something a little bit different, a little more unpredictability and speed around the ruck, also has a handy offload and can be an aggressive defender. He can cover the halves, hooker, and potentially play out on an edge...obviously not well but better than a lot of other makeshift players. He is a bit of a sloppy player though and has a dumb pass or defensive effort in him.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His passing is bullet like at times and the receivers were very lucky to take them. It's like he passes short with the same intensity as long.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has such a great pass from the ground I prefer him over JMK for next season for no.9 think Katoa will be good under a full pre-seasons & he can play 13, what do you fellas reckon??
I actually think him and JMK are a pretty decent 1, 2 punch. If we dont sign a really top notch hooker, i.e grant or smith, then id be ok persevering for one more year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like him off the bench coming on at lock while acting as that utility type forward. He gives us something a little bit different, a little more unpredictability and speed around the ruck, also has a handy offload and can be an aggressive defender. He can cover the halves, hooker, and potentially play out on an edge...obviously not well but better than a lot of other makeshift players. He is a bit of a sloppy player though and has a dumb pass or defensive effort in him.
He is a good foil for JMK for that exact reason. He comes on when players are tiring and does that very well. Can also give our forward rotation a lot more options.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Much prefer JMK in the #9

I’ve liked Katoa’s work when employed at lock. Great leg drive.
Totally agree,i think katoa as a super sub off the bench is awesome,i reckon trent may persist with jmk till api is off contract

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be good to see them battle it out for the 14 jersey next season with the 9 being worn by a more complete player ie shifting the point of attack and possessing a short kicking game!

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sure? Few passes from him were off target I thought.

Plus he looks fat. Needs to get fit.
I'd prefer the fat hooker from Melbourne if we are into the whole fat hooker thing.