Sione Katoa

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you sign a bloke and never play him when the option in front of him is JMK.... Can’t wait for Pay to get another million dollar gig
Agreed with that but pay won't get another million dollar gig because a) he was on a very low salary as far as coaches go b) IF he gets another shot at first grade somewhere (IF), they won't need to be paying big dollars to sign him.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agreed with that but pay won't get another million dollar gig because a) he was on a very low salary as far as coaches go b) IF he gets another shot at first grade somewhere (IF), they won't need to be paying big dollars to sign him.
He was the lowest paid but even at $340,000 a season as head coach he made a million of this club for his time here. The blokes a dud but so is Brown and he’s onto his 3rd club so they are making a decent living even though they are clearly out of their depth.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all about prioritising our worst position. If we resign Foran then what is our next worst position. Given our attack is hopeless we need an efrfective halfback, hooker & fullback. So who is our worst player in these positions on field... Lewis/Wakeham, Katoa/MJK or Meaney/DWZ

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We definitely need a new hooker next season and beyond, but if we dont sign a hooker for next season, do we think katoa can handle it full time?
I think hes been going pretty good the last few weeks and under trent barrett he may improve and become a better player. In saying that i hope we find someone
I still can't believe we signed him but never gave him a chance not even a bench spot...
I believe he will be very useful coming off the bench as a hooker or a back rower

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you sign a bloke and never play him when the option in front of him is JMK.... Can’t wait for Pay to get another million dollar gig
Our management attempted to sign and missed on approximately 7 seven hookers
The main reason we missed out...They were told they had to play second fiddle to JMK :cry::sob:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our management attempted to sign and missed on approximately 7 seven hookers
The main reason we missed out...They were told they had to play second fiddle to JMK :cry::sob:
Wouldn’t that be a coaches choice ? They shouldn’t have any input into the lineup you would think.

Malla

Reaction score
He is great off the bench because he can fill in the back row, but he is not a full time hooker.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn’t that be a coaches choice ? They shouldn’t have any input into the lineup you would think.
The coach would have had an input not the total or final decision

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is great off the bench because he can fill in the back row, but he is not a full time hooker.
I agree, I think Katao is ideal off the bench. He's an aggressive defender and awkward ball runner that can shrug out of a tackle or pop an offload. Having that 3rd/4th small forward off the bench that can cover multiple positions on minimal wage would be truly valuable for us moving forward.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id prefer we had signed the other Sione Katoa the current Sharks winger..

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like this guy he seems to give it everything on the field. Was prob the best Bulldog on ground last weekend.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kotoa will have the odd good game and brings more urgency than JMK. But he tends to play for himself too much and is full of mistakes - reminds me of a Ben Roberts or Nu Brown. Definitely no better than a 2nd stringer IMO.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad he's getting some game time but he's not the answer at hooker, we need someone far better than JMK or him.

These players that got signed like Britt, Stimson etc will take up cap space not really giving us much benefit which is a real shame. If they looked deeper there were other players available who would have been much smarter signings.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this guy more lively than JMK if so why can't he go the 80 and give us another bench spot?

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have been surprised by Kotoa. Considering he has been given no game time until Pay resigned, he has performed well. I would like to see how he performs over the next few weeks. Kotoa has gone from not good enough for the first 17, to amongst our best each week.
This has happened in the team that is not performing well. Not certain either way with Kotoa yet?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have been surprised by Kotoa. Considering he has been given no game time until Pay resigned, he has performed well. I would like to see how he performs over the next few weeks. Kotoa has gone from not good enough for the first 17, to amongst our best each week.
This has happened in the team that is not performing well. Not certain either way with Kotoa yet?
Yes, he does provide something, but his passes aren't accurate. Plays better at lock IMO