Official 2019: Sione Katoa offfially joins for 2 years

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand that they had to sign someone but no matter how much people try and talk up Katoa, the fact remains that he was the 4th string hooker for a bottom 8 team.

He may well exceed expectations, and I'm happy that they didn't waste money on Api but it's frustrating to constantly have to try and justify and talk up the signing of fringe or mediocre unwanted players from other clubs, even those on the minimum like Sione.

The Titans might sign Matterson for a reasonable deal when they finished last and we're supposed to feel positive about signing Katoa and Britt?

The truth is that they're struggling to recruit and sign the players they initially targeted and have to sign cheaper, last resort alternatives as a result..
Very well put. I guess this is the position we're in these days?

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Whinging ***** .. Just give the bloke a chance and see how he goes. You never know man the change of scenery could be good for him. Rather him than Lichaa

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
top 30, not top 17, 2nd choice hook

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He actually came on as a replacement,in one the Penrith games against us,and played quite well.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that they had to sign someone but no matter how much people try and talk up Katoa, the fact remains that he was the 4th string hooker for a bottom 8 team.

He may well exceed expectations, and I'm happy that they didn't waste money on Api but it's frustrating to constantly have to try and justify and talk up the signing of fringe or mediocre unwanted players from other clubs, even those on the minimum like Sione.

The Titans might sign Matterson for a reasonable deal when they finished last and we're supposed to feel positive about signing Katoa and Britt?

The truth is that they're struggling to recruit and sign the players they initially targeted and have to sign cheaper, last resort alternatives as a result..
He wasn’t always the 4th choice hooker. He was the first choice hooker for a while. As the entire panthers squad got themselves into a form slump Katoa was one of the first guys dropped along with RCG. Katoa then quickly slipped down the pecking order and never recovered. I’m not giving up on him just yet. It will be interesting to know if Pay sees JMK as an 80 minute hooker or not, in which case Katoa would be injury cover only.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He wasn’t always the 4th choice hooker. He was the first choice hooker for a while. As the entire panthers squad got themselves into a form slump Katoa was one of the first guys dropped along with RCG. Katoa then quickly slipped down the pecking order and never recovered. I’m not giving up on him just yet. It will be interesting to know if Pay sees JMK as an 80 minute hooker or not, in which case Katoa would be injury cover only.
He started the season and played a bunch of games this season. But both Kenny and Egan performed better, which is why Katoa was dropped and they signed Api because they weren't happy with any of them.

I'm not writing him off completely, my point is it's frustrating to try and talk up these guys when they aren't anything to write home about..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's signed now so what's done is done but there is a difference between depth and back-up.

Depth is Nu Brown where he was only used if every other option was unavailable and predominantly plays Ccup.

This kid is back-up, if JMK is injured he's it, probably 80 minutes week in week out unless someone else is signed in the off-season which is looking unlikely.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's signed now so what's done is done but there is a difference between depth and back-up.

Depth is Nu Brown where he was only used if every other option was unavailable and predominantly plays Ccup.

This kid is back-up, if JMK is injured he's it, probably 80 minutes week in week out unless someone else is signed in the off-season which is looking unlikely.
So that means the club won't go with a Cogger/JMK hooker bench rotation next year?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So that means the club won't go with a Cogger/JMK hooker bench rotation next year?
I really can't see Cogger playing Hooker. I'm sure Pay tried him there in a game (when he had to) and he was of within a few minutes.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really can't see Cogger playing Hooker. I'm sure Pay tried him there in a game (when he had to) and he was of within a few minutes.
Cogger played 25 minutes as dummy half against Broncos and looked pretty good there to me. If we had a better option for halfback he could find his home there.. but atm we don’t.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disregarding the kids we have, we had jmk, lichaa and nu brown before. We are now replacing lichaa and brown with katoa.
Even when we had those 3, everyone said we had issue with that position and need to replace 1 of them with a better quality hooker. So how can anyone think we have found the solution with this signing or in a better position now?

I am fine with budget/depth signing. Just dont think this signing alone is the answer to our issue. Not unless jmk can step up another level or we sign another hooker or one of the kids we have is really good.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Disregarding the kids we have, we had jmk, lichaa and nu brown before. We are now replacing lichaa and brown with katoa.
Even when we had those 3, everyone said we had issue with that position and need to replace 1 of them with a better quality hooker. So how can anyone think we have found the solution with this signing or in a better position now?

I am fine with budget/depth signing. Just dont think this signing alone is the answer to our issue. Not unless jmk can step up another level or we sign another hooker or one of the kids we have is really good.
Aren't we going to sign Billy Brittain from Souths as well?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Gotta love Pays signings .... reserve grade at best Britt, shit hooker in Katoa... future looking so bright with all these awesome signings..
We missed out on Api, Robson, segayaro, Ramien, and others.. great recruitment we have...

Thankfully we have Elliot and Chris Smith leading our forward pack once again, Holland and Montoya in the backs. Premiers 2020!!!

But like the idiot i am, will still follow and have this stupid thought each week that we will win...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gotta love Pays signings .... reserve grade at best Britt, shit hooker in Katoa... future looking so bright with all these awesome signings..
We missed out on Api, Robson, segayaro, Ramien, and others.. great recruitment we have...

Thankfully we have Elliot and Chris Smith leading our forward pack once again, Holland and Montoya in the backs. Premiers 2020!!!

But like the idiot i am, will still follow and have this stupid thought each week that we will win...
$_$

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

For a balanced argument and forgetting the reasons why we can’t recruit how we would like to for a minute, what about DWZ & Stimson? We need to fill reserve grade too and that is why when players want more money and we are tight on money we can’t get in a bidding war. Pay is only one person involved in recruitment, he doesn’t get the final say.

We didn’t miss out on Segeyaro , he was offered to us on minimum wage which we declined for off field reasons. Ramien wanted to return to Cronulla and used us to bump his price, Koroisau wanted to follow Barrett once he signed for the panthers. Things aren’t always as they seem and there are things in the pipeline

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

When we get sbw ***** will come running

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
we seem to be signing plenty for or NSW Cup team, hoping to hear of a signing for our NRL team sometime soon

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Should we make a play for McCullough. On the outer at the Broncs. He's hardly a headcase and just needs a change of environment in my opinion.