Similiar to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
when Bennett left the knights they had a very very similar roster to us, aged players and players paid overs when not performing. This team has glimpses of hope but Pay has inherited this team, yes were losing but things take time . Support the team , it could be worse we could still have Des Hasler coaching this team with Aiden Tolman captain . And let me remind you this guy signed him for 4 years !

Judge pay after round 5 next season when he can form his own team

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
when Bennett left the knights they had a very very similar roster to us, aged players and players paid overs when not performing. This team has glimpses of hope but Pay has inherited this team, yes were losing but things take time . Support the team , it could be worse we could still have Des Hasler coaching this team with Aiden Tolman captain . And let me remind you this guy signed him for 4 years !

we got Pay as an 'improvement' to des .. I think even fair trading would be able to get us a refund on this dud

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If u have a look at off contract players for next year we are even more doomed than ever. Even if we got rid of Eastwood morris brothers etc and have a massive war chest, not many worth buying or will make a major difference...

Pay is trying is ass off and im willing to give him a chance to see what he can do for rest of the year but in all honesty i dont rate him at all so far. But it isnt his squad at all so i will give him benefit of the doubt

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have Australian forwards we are nothing like Newcastle we do have some quality here. For what ever reason we don’t do the simple things like supporting the ball runner. Hopoate and Foran showed how easy it was setting up that first try. But it was the only decent offload all night. This coaching staff and team are really dumb fucking dumb it’s embaressing. Last night was the most disappointed I’ve ever been watching the dogs.
I don’t have a football background but even I think I could coach a structure that would be better then what we watch week in week out. It’s a fucking disgrace that these clowns get paid good coin to produce this crap week in week out.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

sorry mate totally disagree.. its not like pay inherited a shit roster like Newcastle. we have internationals and ex internationals playing in our team. ffs we have the Australian god damn front row and yet get dominated up the guts by every team. pay is failing and if things don't get better itll be his head at the end of year. we are 1-5 and I cant see light at the end of the tunnel. we prob fluke a win against cows which I doubt then get hammered the following games.

the coach supposed to get his team up for games and get them to perform atleast 90% of there capabilities but last night I saw our players give 50% if that. we are a crap and dumb side and pay has done nothing to rectify any of that atall

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No way is this squad as bad the Knights through their lowest point.

Look at what the Tigers are doing with a good coach.

Our starting team is not premiership material sure but it should be no where near contending for the wooden spoon.

N

Natboy

I’m surprised Pay is being blamed and so early. Not only did he inherit the squad that’s left. Look at the players Des let go also.

I agree it’s time to blood some youngsters & FFS get someone to back up the ball carrier

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It will take some time to learn how to play footy again after so many years of Desball, but I'm mostly disappointed with the effort we showed last night, dominated and out-hustled at every play.

There was never any doubt the Raiders would be fired up after the pasting they copped and we didn't match their intensity for a single minute.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think we're that similar to Newcastle TBH. Newcastle had a roster last year with some young talent, but no leadership. Their coach has plenty of experience though and he's showing that he can do more with a roster with some leadership. We've got far more experience across the park but a rookie coach who was recruited because a lot of protesting bulldogs fans were spouting nonsense about needing coaches who had served their time as players here. Some of the best coaches through history have had very little to do with playing, and given that Pay hadn't done much more than work as an assistant and coach junior origin teams he was always going to be a gamble. I hope Pay can build some confidence very fucking soon because we're slowly losing touch with our ability to fight for ladder position.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is nonsense.. our players have the ability to.be playing alot better than they have.. we arent the best roster but theres no excuse for our problems.in attack & defence

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not like Newcastle but Destar definitely fucked us up like he did with Manly.

He left Manly with a good but ageing roster and Toovey took the same team to the GF 2 years later after Des' 2011 premiership.

Des did not leave us a premiership contending squad but he sure as hell left us in a salary cap mess, just like Manly, and as seen has taken Manly atleast 2 years to get rid of the dead wood and bring in quality players as well as promote some youngsters (T & J Trbojevic), something which we definitely dont have in our lower grades.

Morris Boys on massive backended contracts coming into their twilight years -----------> Brett Stewart, Steve Matai

Eastwood on a massive backended contract coming into his twilight years -----------> Watbro

James Graham forced to move on because of salary cap pressure -----------> Glenn Stewart

Manly had a BUCKETLOAD of players on MASSIVE OVERS who were at the end of their careers, falling behind the pack of todays requirements to be an NRL player. Manly identified this and had no option but to cheat the cap to keep their up and coming stars, i.e Trbojevic Bros. DCE, etc

At the end of the day Manly did well as they have kept Trbojevic Brothers, DCE, Tapau players where you can build a team around.

What did Hasler leave us with?

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BMOZ- NSW Origin
JMOZ- NSW Origin
HOPPA- NSW Origin
JACKSON- NSW Origin
KLEMMER- NSW Origin
WOODS- NSW Origin
FORAN- NZ

7 players on our run on side who have played at the highest level.....

Last edited:

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BMOZ- NSW Origin
JMOZ- NSW Origin
HOPPA- NSW Origin
JACKSON- NSW Origin
KLEMMER- NSW Origin
WOODS- NSW Origin
FORAN- NSW Origin

Foran never played origin. He only played for the New Zealand National team.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
We really aren't even close to the Knights. Stop making excuses, Pay just doesn't have a fucking clue atm.
Did you seem him in the box ? 10mins before the game finished he had the microphone piece off and looking at the game like ahhh what do I do ahaahah. We don't have the team at all to go far but Pay can't even get them having a crack. Plus I think I will be in a coma after watching his bench rotations by the end of the year.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are not like Newcastle but Destar definitely fucked us up like he did with Manly.

He left Manly with a good but ageing roster and Toovey took the same team to the GF 2 years later after Des' 2011 premiership.

Des did not leave us a premiership contending squad but he sure as hell left us in a salary cap mess, just like Manly, and as seen has taken Manly atleast 2 years to get rid of the dead wood and bring in quality players as well as promote some youngsters (T & J Trbojevic), something which we definitely dont have in our lower grades.

Morris Boys on massive backended contracts coming into their twilight years -----------> Brett Stewart, Steve Matai

Eastwood on a massive backended contract coming into his twilight years -----------> Watbro

James Graham forced to move on because of salary cap pressure -----------> Glenn Stewart

Manly had a BUCKETLOAD of players on MASSIVE OVERS who were at the end of their careers, falling behind the pack of todays requirements to be an NRL player. Manly identified this and had no option but to cheat the cap to keep their up and coming stars, i.e Trbojevic Bros. DCE, etc

At the end of the day Manly did well as they have kept Trbojevic Brothers, DCE, Tapau players where you can build a team around.

What did Hasler leave us with?

Absolutely!!!

Ever since Ennis was replaced our forward packs have been rolled over on a consistent basis.

You take a look at the sides like the Storm with Smith (obviously a great hooker) he has lead his forward pack around for years on a consistent basis.

Cowboys since Granville came in

Sharks since Ennis came in and now replaced by a terrific young gun in Brailey.

These forward packs along with whoever they recruite in their packs hardly ever get rolled over and thats what gets them to finals footy and premierships.

Our issue was never Reynolds or Graham or Kasiano. Foran is on double what Josh was and can only play half a game. This bullshit theory that Foran needs help but Reynolds didnt because it was just erratic Reynolds is a cop out.

We do not have a top tier hooker and until we recruite one or miraculously pull one out of our asses in the lower grades, we will be a rabble

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score

Good post. I get your point. Everyone has opinion and who ever thought we are a top 8 team are in denial. We are rebuilding. Foran isnt here for 3 or 4 yrs. His body isnt going to last. We have mbye and klemmer and jacko that are only here maybe long term . So 3 maybe 5 players in a 30 squad are worth it. So yeah I guess for 2 or so years we will be hearing sack pay.

N

Natboy

BMOZ- NSW Origin
JMOZ- NSW Origin
HOPPA- NSW Origin
JACKSON- NSW Origin
KLEMMER- NSW Origin
WOODS- NSW Origin
FORAN- NZ

It’s no point living in the past though.
How many of them will make reps this year? 3 max

Status
Not open for further replies.