News Silence is deafening: Dogs coach urges club board to make a call on his future

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I was told they are going to re-sign him for a year and if he fails again next year they will punt him because 6 coaches are off contract in 2021.
1 year shows they don't know what to do. They can't make a weak call like that. Give him 3years more or nothing. Fucking back yourselves. Pick who you want and move heaven and earth to make it happen.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another year of this will be detrimental to the club and members.
Something has to be done!
Id rather go with Georgallis for a year then Pay for another!
I didn't even watch the game last night. Spent time with the grandkids, and had a great night.

This is what the team has done for me as a supporter for 70 years. I don't need to go through the frustration and pain of watching an inferior side play pathetic, stupid football, while the club expects us to fork out good money, and pretend to be excited about being loyal supporters. We can't even be competitive with the other cellar dwelling sides.

2021 should be a year off for the Dogs, and the other sides can take the points as if it was a bye. That way they get the 2 points they were going to get anyway, without the risk of injury.

I'm through with being a fan. The Dogs are dogshit; and I can't be a loyal supporter and allow this mob to keep pulling the wool over my eyes, with soothing words from a board that hasn't a clue what the game is about. It's about winning BTW.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I didn't even watch the game last night. Spent time with the grandkids, and had a great night.

This is what the team has done for me as a supporter for 70 years. I don't need to go through the frustration and pain of watching an inferior side play pathetic, stupid football, while the club expects us to fork out good money, and pretend to be excited about being loyal supporters. We can't even be competitive with the other cellar dwelling sides.

2021 should be a year off for the Dogs, and the other sides can take the points as if it was a bye. That way they get the 2 points they were going to get anyway, without the risk of injury.

I'm through with being a fan. The Dogs are dogshit; and I can't be a loyal supporter and allow this mob to keep pulling the wool over my eyes, with soothing words from a board that hasn't a clue what the game is about. It's about winning BTW.
I'm glad you spent time with your grandkids instead Chris. I wish I spent time with my 4 year old daughter instead of getting angry and wasting time watching another debacle.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is this bloke serious? How can he even blame the board for his coaching failures? The silence Is deafening because huh aren’t winning games. If you were a good coach there would be no issues lol
He’s an arrogant stuck up flog.
Sorry, but this is flat out incorrect. Dean Pay is anything but arrogant. He took on the coaching role after more experienced coaches took a look and said NOPE. He took a pay cut before anyone else when Covid started. He is not the answer as coach, but neither should he take all the heat for the simple errors that are frustrating the team right now. Simple fact is that morale in the camp is lower than a goanna's belly right now and Pay is the only one who is actively trying to do something about it. The people who are supposed to be in charge aren't supporting him or the team, and other people who want to be in charge are flooding the media with stories that make it that much harder for Pay and the players.

Pay needs to go, but he should be given dignity and most of all he CAN'T be made the fall guy when there are bigger problems going on. That would just be papering over the cracks.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of my close mates spoke to a former coach of ours 2 nights ago, and that person himself said this current board is very toxic... nothing nice to say about them...
Could be something, could be nothing at all. Just sharing what i heard.
Given what we have been seeing, this would not be a surprise at all.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What's done is done. We have to move forward and look to the future. The current mob have had ample time to clean up the mess but instead they've created a new one.

They need to be held accountable and more changes need to be made. The last regime had no idea but this regime isn't any better.

The club and it's fans deserve better after suffering through five horrible and painful seasons.
To be fair I will judge them on how our team and club lines up in 2021 as originally stated

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what pisses me off is the club doesnt even see the passion in the fans and how the fake team that goes out wearing the blue and white is a joke and a laughing stock and it is slowly pushing us away from loving this once proud club. Does the coach and the board watch the same game or do this watch highlights from the 80's?
every fan can see these points:
  • DWZ is not a fullback
  • Smith is not a centre
  • Crighton is not up to first grade
  • Jackson is playing hurt
  • Napa is taking the piss
  • we dont have a hooker
  • we cant attack
  • we dont have a game plan
For fuck sake that is the worst back 5 players in the history of the club. Drop them all or play them in their right positions, how many teams just pass the ball out wide because they know our centres and wingers are going to be caught out .

yes I agree we dont have the cattle, yes I want the boys to win, yes the coach has to take the blame. Its crazy we are at rock bottom.

Panthers are playing well , so they can blood a 19 year old winger and he scores 4 tries on debut. Yes easy to score when you have a good structure and a good pack of forwards who make metres. But we are scared to blood rookies. The season is long one and we will possibly not win another game.

I am no coach but this is what I would do, just an opinion and I cant see the point in trotting out the same team every week

• Meaney to fullback
  • DWZ on wing
  • Smith on wing
  • Averillo in centre
  • Drop Napa completely, piss the lazy f off
  • Give Topine a run in starting team
  • put Doorey on the bench ( what can we lose)
  • in attack put someone with some speed and hands at dummy half

Easy to coach from the sideline, but also are the players hearts really in it? Make the descsion on the coach for next year this week and start the rebuild. this is not a rebuild we are sinking

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be fair I will judge them on how our team and club lines up in 2021 as originally stated
Well they better get a move on. I'm worried that the money will be wasted on more players like Napa.

Thompson was a good signing. Even if he is on a tonne of money. But the Lafai signing worries me massively even if it is only for this year. I have zero faith in their scouting or negotiating ability.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd like to stick with that statement too, however good leadership doesn't let things fall to this level even when they have a future date in mind for becoming seriously competitive. These people do not have serious leadership credentials, and the proof is on the field right in front of us. Sure we don't have the cattle to make the top 8, but we do have the cattle to be a lot more competitive than we have seen in the last 6 weeks. Show a tape of these performances to a first year psychology student, they will have no problem identifying that the players' morale is toast.

Bullfrog would never let this happen, he was a champion at managing morale of his players. I'd hoped that his daughter would bring some of that back, but she has done the opposite.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under-siege Canterbury coach Dean Pay has implored the Bulldogs board to come out and speak publicly about his future in order to ease ongoing speculation.

Pay is off contract this year and his job is the source of constant commentary in the rugby league rumour mill, especially given the team is in desperately bad form.

But the silence out of Belmore has been deafening as club executives and the board refuse to shed any light on the coaching position.

There’s been numerous reports Canterbury is chasing the likes of Craig Bellamy, Eddie Jones, and Wayne Bennett to take the reins and replace Pay at year’s end.
Following Saturday’s 26-8 loss to Brisbane, Pay was asked if he would like the club to come out and address his future.

“That’s up to them. It would be useful for everyone,” he said.

Pay agreed it would help ease pressure on himself and his embattled team, who are struggling to win a game.
Pay took over from axed Des Hasler two years ago but the team hasn’t improved under his watch.

“We can go out into the market and we can look to bolster our recruitment, and that’s what every club wants to do,” he said.

“There’s some kids in there already that are starting to get some games under their belt and they will be better players going forward.

“We’ve got some real positive signs coming soon.

“It’s very hard for everyone at the moment, but we will move forward and we will get better.”

The Bulldogs looked lost as they battled with Brisbane on Saturday to avoid last place on the NRL ladder.
Both sides are in dismal form but Brisbane ended up winning the game rather comfortably.

Pay admitted simple errors cruelled his side.

“Disappointing, it was.

“We came out, we started OK, then we got in a bit of an arm wrestle then Dal turned the ball over. We made too many errors, we defended four or five sets. They got a penalty and three or four six-to-goes.

“Same in the second half, we started OK, then they kicked the ball from halfway and score. If we’re going to compete we have to be better in that area.

“We built a little bit of momentum. The boys dug in, they fought really hard which they’ve been doing.

“We put a few sets together and we looked OK. But again we just shoot ourselves in the foot, not giving ourselves the opportunity to compete with other teams at the moment.”
Not a dean pay fan,but the lack of communication from the board and CEO,has been abysmal,he deserves to know what’s going on as do the players,and members,who pay their hard earned,we need answers now,let’s not kid ourselves this current team is woeful,one of the worst I’ve seen in my 40 years supporting my dogs,

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well they better get a move on. I'm worried that the money will be wasted on more players like Napa.

Thompson was a good signing. Even if he is on a tonne of money. But the Lafai signing worries me massively even if it is only for this year. I have zero faith in their scouting or negotiating ability.
I agree. The clock is ticking. Everyone is different but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt until the time they themselves indicated

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree. The clock is ticking. Everyone is different but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt until the time they themselves indicated
Fair enough. We don't have an option but to wait and see. I hope we're pleasantly surprised but I'm keeping my expectations as low as our position on the ladder. Haha.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd like to stick with that statement too, however good leadership doesn't let things fall to this level even when they have a future date in mind for becoming seriously competitive. These people do not have serious leadership credentials, and the proof is on the field right in front of us. Sure we don't have the cattle to make the top 8, but we do have the cattle to be a lot more competitive than we have seen in the last 6 weeks. Show a tape of these performances to a first year psychology student, they will have no problem identifying that the players' morale is toast.

Bullfrog would never let this happen, he was a champion at managing morale of his players. I'd hoped that his daughter would bring some of that back, but she has done the opposite.
I agree with you mate. On the game last night the first and second tackle errors even from the likes of Jackson and Tolman killed us. You can’t beat anyone with that many errors at crucial times. If that is down to poor morale it’s even worse

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant believe what Im reading.
On what planet would we re-sign Pay for all the obvious reasons discussed to death.
Justify it any way you wish, he is not a first grade NRL coach.
The Club would have had 3 years at the end of this season to do what they where elected to do.
If all we get is a bunch of signings without a new coach and coaching staff, it will be more years of shit and misery.
We will have been lied to and deceived for 3 years.
How long are we expected to "trust in the process"
I dont know anything about the club so ive never said anything bad about them.
But Im past concerned because they should have been making announcements or fronting the media 2 weeks ago.
I dont think I can take much more. Dogs supporter 40+ years but FMD, this is way past unexceptable.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The way I see it the old mob had an idea of what they were doing but got to a point where they didn't want to wait, build and have success. They got impatient and risked it all on Des's moneyball option of quick success, then destroy the club for 4 to 5 years but have a premiership to keep us happy. They threw the dice, came close but failed. Club destroyed.

The new mob came in at a time when anyone would have been voted for. Said all the right things and she even used her dead Father's visions to get her over the line. Everyone wanted past glories and the talk worked. Problem is that they didn't know what they were/are doing and just thought walking in would see the club turn around. They burnt what was left of the club to the bare earth and hoped that the 2-3 years of promises would never end. Even last week she started by adding another 2-3 years to her promises schedule. They are letting the out of depth coach cop all the heat, have gone to ground, refuse to make decisions. Club re-destroyed.

Conclusion: Whoever these power brokers are that keep getting mentioned will need to oust them all this week and let's all hope that these guys are any better! We are fuked!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
how are some people still trying to dismiss the reality?

The entire club from ceo, board, coach, roster needs a broom ran through it. Fucking disgraceful. The shit on field is just as bad as off.

We can blame the old board all we want. We have regressed not improved in these years. Let’s also blame them for no sponsor?

Napa contract? The fact so many players are in the wrong positions? Game plan? Rotations? Fitness?

The clubs a joke. Face facts.

I would of loved to see bullfrogs daughter be able to show something. Though all she’s done is show she was shit at the titans and she’s shit here. Times have changed and she ain’t her father.

Time to fix this club.

Fuck even dib at least had sponsors. We are a disgrace.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
So technically people should be working together for what’s best for the club and not for personal gain you would imagine.
Reality is they create a jobs for the boys scenario and fill the place with mates and yes men.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay will be offered to stay on as an assistant coaching role, so the club isn’t seen as throwing him to the wolves although I doubt he’ll take it
Dont be surprised to see Walters coaching us next year as long as he can keep his origin job

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reality is they create a jobs for the boys scenario and fill the place with mates and yes men.
Yeah ok. It’s ok if they are the best people for those jobs but it’s looking more and more like they are definitely not.