Sign of ado carr early release?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The terms of a heads of agreement are enforceable at law, whether they are made public or not, on the parties that sign it. In this case that's JAC and the Tuggers. I don't know what the terms were in the HOA but whatever they were are enforceable. Often HOA's have terms like "best endeavours", which means it's not necessary to achieve them just show that you tried to. Something like "JAC will make best endeavours to secure a release from his contract with Melbourne for 2021". JAC could argue that he tried and they said no, but it would be difficult to claim "best endeavours' if he then secures a release to us. We got his "best endeavours" and the Tuggers got his "second best endeavours".

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that there are a team of lawyers working on it currently, seeking out a way to negate the HOA, that's what I would be doing anyway.

Go Dogs
Question.

Could we argue that the release of Reimis Smith, who was still contracted to us, work in our favour? It was reported that the Tigpies were unwilling to do business in the way of a swap, where as we were happy to release, knowing it could help our chances of securing JAC's services for 2021?

Just a thought.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Question.
Could we argue that the release of Reimis Smith, who was still contracted to us, work in our favour? It was reported that the Tigpies were unwilling to do business in the way of a swap, where as we were happy to release, knowing it could help our chances of securing JAC's services for 2021?
Just a thought.
It could be argued that JAC's "best endeavours" failed because the Tuggers weren't able (or willing) to supply a suitable replacement. Then we get into the argument of whether Smith is a suitable replacement and that's really up to Melbourne. If we were in fact doing the RSmith and JAC swap then I wouldn't be signing his official NRL Release until Melbourne formally agreed that RSmith was a suitable replacement and that the Tuggers weren't able (or willing) to supply a suitable replacement. Even then it still gets down to the actual terms in the HOA.

Go Dogs

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Cam Smith officially retired/leaving Storm?

That could possibly influence JAC for 2021.
I think If Cam Smith goes around with the Storm again it could certainly help our situation.
The Storm could make the excuse of having to make Salary Cap space of around 800k to keep Cam Smith.
Therefore - release JAC at around $400k + Cheese at around $400k to us in 2021 to accommodate Cam's Wage. They're both leaving anyway.
HAPPY DAYS

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It could be argued that JAC's "best endeavours" failed because the Tuggers weren't able (or willing) to supply a suitable replacement. Then we get into the argument of whether Smith is a suitable replacement and that's really up to Melbourne. If we were in fact doing the RSmith and JAC swap then I wouldn't be signing his official NRL Release until Melbourne formally agreed that RSmith was a suitable replacement and that the Tuggers weren't able (or willing) to supply a suitable replacement. Even then it still gets down to the actual terms in the HOA.

Go Dogs
Two possibilities
1 To get Burton we take Mansour off Penrith's hands
2 To get JAC we have to wait for a possible loophole
The first option is the most likely !!!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone agrees that if we can have Matt early on the proviso we take Mansour its a deal all day every day..on the proviso of a 1yr +1yr option only contract.
Hope like hell both of the above are still possible!

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two possibilities
1 To get Burton we take Mansour off Penrith's hands
2 To get JAC we have to wait for a possible loophole
The first option is the most likely !!!
I think we need burton more than jac. I’d take mansour to get him here he’s a solid winger and much better than we’ve previously had.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we need burton more than jac. I’d take mansour to get him here he’s a solid winger and much better than we’ve previously had.
I don't think we can/should take Mansour for more than 1 year and he's looking for 2-3. We still have DWZ contracted after next year on good money and JAC is obviously coming (I have a feeling he'll be here next year, which would also mean Mansour isn't required if it was to happen).

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton in 21 would obviously be huge for us.

Penrith are playing hardball with Mansour and fair enough.

21 is looking more like this week than last with Crichton gets injured and Penrith signing Salmon

Add in the fact that Okunbar is injured and Reimis has gone, it now makes Mansour slightly more justifiable

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The terms of a heads of agreement are enforceable at law, whether they are made public or not, on the parties that sign it. In this case that's JAC and the Tuggers. I don't know what the terms were in the HOA but whatever they were are enforceable. Often HOA's have terms like "best endeavours", which means it's not necessary to achieve them just show that you tried to. Something like "JAC will make best endeavours to secure a release from his contract with Melbourne for 2021". JAC could argue that he tried and they said no, but it would be difficult to claim "best endeavours' if he then secures a release to us. We got his "best endeavours" and the Tuggers got his "second best endeavours".

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that there are a team of lawyers working on it currently, seeking out a way to negate the HOA, that's what I would be doing anyway.

Go Dogs
Maybe we just give Napa as freebie and send the lawyer's home

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Burton in 21 would obviously be huge for us.

Penrith are playing hardball with Mansour and fair enough.

21 is looking more like this week than last with Crichton gets injured and Penrith signing Salmon

Add in the fact that Okunbar is injured and Reimis has gone, it now makes Mansour slightly more justifiable
TB has quoted several times about being the "right" purchase and that the wrong one impacts the team and cap for years. I can not see us taking a hit for mansur to get Burton if TB doesnt see him as a legit purchase.
what will happen IMO is that we were to get Mansor it would be at the 24hour after all the trials and pre season training. This would mean that TB doesnt think the young wingers can do a job during the year.
Lets all hope they can and can measure up to FG.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
3 years of pain fuck what's 1 more... Fuck taking Mansour to get Burton, Panthers are the losers here Matt's already signed so they have no power.

Red_Horse

Waterboy
Reaction score
Whether we get JAC next year or not we should still push for the early release and at least baulk the tigers into enforcing the HOA. All the big players are pretty much mates these days and they all talk to each other through rep footy etc. Enforcing the HOA would be such a short sighted move from a tigers perspective and would make them an even more undesirable club for future big name signings than what they already are. I reckon let them lay in the bed they made.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Heads of Agreement, properly drafted, is a non-binding document which sets out the key terms of a proposed agreement between parties wikipedia....

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whether we get JAC next year or not we should still push for the early release and at least baulk the tigers into enforcing the HOA. All the big players are pretty much mates these days and they all talk to each other through rep footy etc. Enforcing the HOA would be such a short sighted move from a tigers perspective and would make them an even more undesirable club for future big name signings than what they already are. I reckon let them lay in the bed they made.
They should repay the favour we did by signing woods

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that if tigers were found to be pursuing JAC before the binding preddetermined date set by nrl they could be in big strife, and that in it self would make the NRL club binding contractual Heads of Agreement null and void.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is it just me that would rather see more of Crichton in a team not on a 17 win streak and in his second year before throwing 700-800k at him?
Agree, we 100% don't need him. Better off waiting for Schoupp or poaching Harley Smith Shields off Canberra