Shoulder charge back for the Semi's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard a whisper the shoulder charge may be allowed back for the Semi finals because its too hard to rule on for the Refs, a hard hit is often ruled as a shoulder charge.
The game is played hard and it could be a drawcard for the NRL.
The players and fans want the hard hits back, not to mention proper beer ya soft cocks. :p
Do you support the shoulder hits?

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rugby league would have to be one of the few codes around the world that change their rules mid season. Farcical if you ask me.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yes I would support the league becoming a man's sport again.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Personally, I supported its banning from day one. And still do…

Why does it need to return for finals? It’s a dumb tackle

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no way it will come back.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I supported its banning from day one. And still do…

Why does it need to return for finals? It’s a dumb tackle
Its not a tackle it is a shoulder charge, how can you not like those hits especially in big games right after kick also can be game changer.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The rule from Day 1 should've been that you can't get into contact with the head.... Simple as that.

Now that this rule is in place however, they won't be changing it back. Just imagine the outrage the media and general public will have when the first player gets heavily concussed from a shoulder charge once the rule changes.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The rule from Day 1 should've been that you can't get into contact with the head.... Simple as that.
I agree with you but the way they look at it is if they allow it in any form, then contact with the head will happen more often than if they outlaw it entirely.

The NRL admitted it would take time for players to get used to it being banned, and expected it to still happen for a while. I am sure they quoted years before it would be totally out of peoples system.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Its not a tackle it is a shoulder charge, how can you not like those hits especially in big games right after kick also can be game changer.
Believe me, I know it's not a tackle. I do like the way they look, but I like the direction the NRL went with it. Dropped it's yahoo approach and made a professional decision.

To bring it back for finals, is simply dumb

Now that this rule is in place however, they won't be changing it back. Just imagine the outrage the media and general public will have when the first player gets heavily concussed from a shoulder charge once the rule changes.
Trouble is they don't aim for the head. It just happens that way so the rule wouldn't work.

It's far simpler then that, head contact is a serious problem during and post career. Shoulder Charge banned, get on with life. Even simpler IMO

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some people don't aim for the head when they make a regular tackle either but you still get high shots every game.

Should we ban tackling as well?

Accidents happen and reckless and careless challenges happen too. You can't ban every type of thing because it might go wrong. You can't stop people from driving because they might have a car crash.

Severely punish the instances where it does go wrong and move on. It's much easier to police that way. Again, they do that with regular tackles that hit the head, why not for shoulder charges? Like I said, I don't see them outlawing swinging arms because it might hit the head. What's the difference?

Getting hit in the head is just a part of what Rugby League players sign up for. No one wants to get hit and no one wants to see guys get hit in the head but it's the nature of the business. And on a percentage of tackles and/or shoulder charges, the percentage of tackles that go wrong compared to ones that are successful and cause no damage is minimally low. As usual it's a complete overreaction and all they've done is made things more confusing and not clearer.

It won't come back but it never should have been outlawed in the first place.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Shoulders charges sole purpose is to damage the opposing player.

Tackling, while still can be used to hurt a player isn’t as reckless because you don’t brace your body for the impact. You take your own wellbeing into account, hence the opposing player as wel...

It absolutely should have been banned IMO

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people don't aim for the head when they make a regular tackle either but you still get high shots every game.

Accidents happen and reckless and careless challenges happen too. You can't ban every type of thing because it might go wrong. You can't stop people from driving because they might have a car crash.

Severely punish the instances where it does go wrong and move on. It's much easier to police that way. Again, they do that with regular tackles that hit the head, why not for shoulder charges? Like I said, I don't see them outlawing swinging arms because it might hit the head. What's the difference?

Getting hit in the head is just a part of what Rugby League players sign up for. No one wants to get hit and no one wants to see guys get hit in the head but it's the nature of the business. And on a percentage of tackles and/or shoulder charges, the percentage of tackles that go wrong compared to ones that are successful and cause no damage is minimally low. As usual it's a complete overreaction and all they've done is made things more confusing and not clearer.

^ Perfect.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoulders charges sole purpose is to damage the opposing player.

Tackling, while still can be used to hurt a player isn’t as reckless because you don’t brace your body for the impact. You take your own wellbeing into account, hence the opposing player as wel...

It absolutely should have been banned IMO
I disagree. You reckon Josh Reynolds thinks he is going to hurt someone when he goes for one? Nope. He is aiming to force a drop ball. I don't reckon anyone wants to hurt another player but FFS this sport is based on men running in to each other. Of course the person that hits harder wins. It is called competing.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score

Good to see you here again and what you said is 100% correct.

N

Natboy

It's been scientifically proven that Anthony Watmough has gained 6 IQ points since being hit in the head a few times. He has now reached double figures

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I disagree. You reckon Josh Reynolds thinks he is going to hurt someone when he goes for one? Nope. He is aiming to force a drop ball. I don't reckon anyone wants to hurt another player but FFS this sport is based on men running in to each other. Of course the person that hits harder wins. It is called competing.
I respect your opinion, but I disgree also…

If you wanted a drop ball you’d go for a one-on-one strip, or attack the arm holding the ball.

The ONLY reason you fly in for a shoulder charge is to hurt the player, not injury don’t misunderstand me on that, there is a big difference but you are trying to hurt them.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
And that’s where the problem lies because you’re replacing a controlled action with a reckless one…

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After the the ones we've had recently i highly doubt this will happen, where did you hear this?...

One can dream :(

Status
Not open for further replies.