Should the NRL sever ties with Gambling sponsorship?

Should the NRL sever ties with Gambling sponsorship?

• Yes

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No as well - as no one puts a gun to someone’s head if they want to gamble. Plus if a person is gambling - they are out for a money gain too. It’s when they lose that’s the issue. Sadly I’m a reformed gambler but I know that it was no ones fault but mine if I lost and kept trying to win back my money.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure if it brings corruption directly, but the game needs to be perceived to being clean and Banning betting sponsorship is the first step. Also, betting odds have become more prominent than other information and stats. Primary school kids could probably quote the odds these days. That's not a good thing.

Get betting off sports telecasts. Period.
Do you kbow how sports betting and corruption works? it is literally nothing ti do with sponsorship.

In fact removing money from the players and the game will feed the temptation to do it.

the only reason NBA players are paid disproportinbately high salaries is so they are never tenpted to tinker with results.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
gambling on nrl is what makes games nit incolving the dogs/rabbits/sharks interesting.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm one of the biggest believers in the idea that referees are manipulating scores to maximize the profit of the gambling sponsor. I've watched the rules altered since the sponsorship began. Subtle changes at first to stop coaches pointing out poor refereeing. More direct changes down the track to create areas of refs discretion rather than concrete rules. Most recently this six again bullshit.

The results of which mean that I along with many others find the rules perplexing to follow. If it's not corruption to blame for poor decisions it's hard to believe that the current crop of refs haven't been dumped.

The game needs to distance itself from involvement with gambling agencies.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This was said when smoking advertising/sponsorship slowly became outlawed. Sports survived. And they would easily survive without sports betting sponsoring everything. You just have to try harder to find sponsors.
Ok that's fine, I'm all for replacing that sponsorship money but I'm being serious, how do we replace that $90 million? The competition isn't in such a good place you can remove 15-20% of sponsorship investment and just keep floating.

What industry is in a position to take on the public image risk that the NRL presents to the tune of $90mil per year? Not sure it's that easy at the moment.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Yes they should. But they won't because there's too much money involved, unlike News Ltd who offered nothing to the game. Severing ties with them was easy.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes as all gambling advertising will eventually become illegal anyway due to it's parasitic nature and that it's a detriment to society same as smoking advertising. Better to find new sponsors now than later.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
No as well - as no one puts a gun to someone’s head if they want to gamble. Plus if a person is gambling - they are out for a money gain too. It’s when they lose that’s the issue. Sadly I’m a reformed gambler but I know that it was no ones fault but mine if I lost and kept trying to win back my money.
Only time I gamble is when having sex, so far I've lost out twice. Still paying for them :tonguewink:

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way that things will become honest again is for all the teams to let V'landys know that he doesn't get a kick off next year until the idiotic 6 again rule is relinquished. But the clubs have about as much spine as the Bulldogs first grade side.