Should people with high mileage cars be embarrassed?

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A guy at work turned up in his 2016 year hsv clubsport that he just bought .. he was grinning from ear to ear. Proud as punch bragging It has a LSA engine in it.. he said he paid $60k to buy it.

We all went out to look at it and it has 147000km on the clock.. :grinning: lol I thought, they saw him coming. Hit him with a sucker punch.

I have a WRX at home that has one third of those km, yes only 45000km and it's 10 years old.

The previous owner of the hsv would have thrashed the car, all those km.. passed it off to this sucker at work. He said he paid $60k too!! But he's so so happy. He thinks everyone is amazed at what he bought, haha. Geez people are dumb. I bet he paid more than $60k too and prob on finance.

Buying a car with those km for that sort of money, just dumb aren't they.

For a car with that sort of high mileage I wouldn't pay more than $10k regardless of the type of car, it's ready to give up the ghost. All the costs to fix

Just shook my head when I saw the mileage, winced in fact. almost coughed up my lunch as well.

I could break his heart if I showed him my WRX with a third of his km, mint condition.

People that buy high mileage cars and pay good money should be completely embarrassed
Assuming both cars are properly and regularly serviced, I’d be more concerned about the WRX averaging 4.4K per year than I would the HSV doing 30kish per year.

Modern cars are meant to be driven, they’ll deteriorate more in your garage than they will on the road.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I see right through the cheesiness of this ad.

Nice try though, Hyundai, nice try.

Who am I kidding... this try sucks!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming both cars are properly and regularly serviced, I’d be more concerned about the WRX averaging 4.4K per year than I would the HSV doing 30kish per year.

Modern cars are meant to be driven, they’ll deteriorate more in your garage than they will on the road.
funny you say that. My wrx looks and drives like brand spanking new. Must be all the wear and tear

check you math also, the hsv car was closer to 40000km per year.. thrashed

of course high mileage cars mean they are no good… only people with high mileage cars try to justify them.. they are indefensible

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I have a 2010 RAV4 with 230K on the clock. Things still drives like it is brand new aside from my wife using a gate post to try and put a race stripe down the side!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I have a 2005 XR6 with 220k. Can afford a newer car but I prefer the design of mine. If u spend the bucks to keep it going it's fine. Still goes well and is in mint condition coz I look after it. I've done the math and even though it now and then needs a few grand spent on it, still cheaper than getting a new one. I wouldn't do it for any old car but, i just love the older xr6s

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
High k's definitely yes, thrashed possibly but not necessarily often that depends on the owner and how km's were accrued.Assuming it is probably a VF GTS they were minimum an 110K car new.Pretty likely drives like or near new still so each to their own BB and not everyone likes Rex's fyi...

Own a 2012 6 litre VE ute myself very low k's well under 50000, also have no need to buy a new vehicle when mine is so good.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
High k's definitely yes, thrashed possibly but not necessarily often that depends on the owner and how km's were accrued.Assuming it is probably a VF GTS they were minimum an 110K car new.Pretty likely drives like or near new still so each to their own BB and not everyone likes Rex's fyi...

Own a 2012 6 litre VE ute myself very low k's well under 50000, also have no need to buy a new vehicle when mine is so good.
Yeah I have a VE Walkie and it's the car I'm gonna die with and leave for the kids.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2005 XR6 with 220k. Can afford a newer car but I prefer the design of mine. If u spend the bucks to keep it going it's fine. Still goes well and is in mint condition coz I look after it. I've done the math and even though it now and then needs a few grand spent on it, still cheaper than getting a new one. I wouldn't do it for any old car but, i just love the older xr6s
nice cars mate

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm with you bro. Kms don't mean shit for a well looked after car. I love my VE has the square Murikan looking body where the VF have the rounded Euro look.

PS would love a XR6 turbo Ute as a run around. The 05s are nice as they have better looking headlights than the previous model.

Dakdah

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a diesel Prado with 150k kms in the clock. It’s only just been worn in, diesels go forever

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'm with you bro. Kms don't mean shit for a well looked after car. I love my VE has the square Murikan looking body where the VF have the rounded Euro look.

PS would love a XR6 turbo Ute as a run around. The 05s are nice as they have better looking headlights than the previous model.
Yeh i like muscle cars to look muscly. My Xr6 was before they softened the look a lot with the FGs. They tapered in the sides and took off the skirts and body kit, made the front lights more flush with the body so less obvious, so it looks like mine with anorexia. And they didn't improve after that. And the last of the XRs dont even look like XRs.

However, my if i had the spare cash car is a Chevy Camaro ZL1. Have you seen the 2021 version. Gives me wood.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A guy at work turned up in his 2016 year hsv clubsport that he just bought .. he was grinning from ear to ear. Proud as punch bragging It has a LSA engine in it.. he said he paid $60k to buy it.

We all went out to look at it and it has 147000km on the clock.. :grinning: lol I thought, they saw him coming. Hit him with a sucker punch.

I have a WRX at home that has one third of those km, yes only 45000km and it's 10 years old.

The previous owner of the hsv would have thrashed the car, all those km.. passed it off to this sucker at work. He said he paid $60k too!! But he's so so happy. He thinks everyone is amazed at what he bought, haha. Geez people are dumb. I bet he paid more than $60k too and prob on finance.

Buying a car with those km for that sort of money, just dumb aren't they.

For a car with that sort of high mileage I wouldn't pay more than $10k regardless of the type of car, it's ready to give up the ghost. All the costs to fix

Just shook my head when I saw the mileage, winced in fact. almost coughed up my lunch as well.

I could break his heart if I showed him my WRX with a third of his km, mint condition.

People that buy high mileage cars and pay good money should be completely embarrassed
Maybe, but imagine what it will be worth in another 50 years