Should people with high mileage cars be embarrassed?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro what's you definition of high?

I think any car with more 20k per year is high.
I think buying a used car is full of danger. I'd say 15000km per year average is ok but when it tips over 150,000km regardless of age, it's no good to buy

The good ones aren't for sale.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
A guy at work turned up in his 2016 year hsv clubsport that he just bought .. he was grinning from ear to ear. Proud as punch bragging It has a LSA engine in it.. he said he paid $60k to buy it.

We all went out to look at it and it has 147000km on the clock.. :grinning: lol I thought, they saw him coming. Hit him with a sucker punch.

I have a WRX at home that has one third of those km, yes only 45000km and it's 10 years old.

The previous owner of the hsv would have thrashed the car, all those km.. passed it off to this sucker at work. He said he paid $60k too!! But he's so so happy. He thinks everyone is amazed at what he bought, haha. Geez people are dumb. I bet he paid more than $60k too and prob on finance.

Buying a car with those km for that sort of money, just dumb aren't they.

For a car with that sort of high mileage I wouldn't pay more than $10k regardless of the type of car, it's ready to give up the ghost. All the costs to fix

Just shook my head when I saw the mileage, winced in fact. almost coughed up my lunch as well.

I could break his heart if I showed him my WRX with a third of his km, mint condition.

People that buy high mileage cars and pay good money should be completely embarrassed
Depends on how it has been used, and whether it has been serviced on time.

Check out John Cadogan - the AutoExpert.com - he'll give you the the facts about mileage.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$60k for late model HSV (club sport??) Good luck to him. One of the nicest cars on the road. Aussie classic.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on how it has been used, and whether it has been serviced on time.

Check out John Cadogan - the AutoExpert.com - he'll give you the the facts about mileage.
Exactly the point, depends how it was used... But that part will remain unknown. That's the problem the seller will try to conceal the issues, if the car was rock solid with no problems the. Why sell?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly the point, depends how it was used... But that part will remain unknown. That's the problem the seller will try to conceal the issues, if the car was rock solid with no problems the. Why sell?
People sell for all sorts of reasons. They might be upgrading, or need the cash. The car might not suit their current needs; or being a sporty machine it might be too expensive to maintain.

Some fancy cars have poor resale value, mainly due to the cost of spare parts, the time it takes to get spares into the country; and poor after sales service by the dealers. Or they might just be a brand that doesn't appeal to everyone.

Unless you are mechanically competent, you should always approach second hand car sales with a bit of care. If it offers a warranty, you are pretty safe. We have laws that protect you, but not if it's a private sale.

Last edited:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
$60k for late model HSV (club sport??) Good luck to him. One of the nicest cars on the road. Aussie classic.
Late model holdens are rubbish.

Holden made better vehicles from 1946-1985.

I’m not too phased with any model after those years with the exception of the VP and VY.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they are nice but not with 147000km to start with. I don't like it when people buy the cheapest possible worst condition example to say they have one. The guy thinks he bought it cheap but when he has to replace the LSA engine.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Such a strange thread. But anyway,depends on the car as seen here lol

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, ok I get it, you don't know what you're talking about.
I do know what I'm talking about. You seem like a guy that would buy any car that has turbo badges everywhere, seats with turbo inscribed in them, would you check under the hood to actually see if it's turbo? Do you even know what a turbo looks like?

Mileage is the biggest factor to determine if a car is any good, cars don't have infinite use, they wear out, mileage is an indicator how worn out it is

Who wants those cars you pictured if they are worn out? Clapped out?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Under 200k is still considered low kay, 300k + is high kay

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Mine is a tipper as well.You end up having a bit of a thing for your Hilux I’ve found..
I had a 93 hilux.
Selling it is one of my biggest regrets.
I miss owning a Ute.
Even if you’re not using it commercially it still comes in handy to have one.

If I ever decide to get a new one I’ll definitely make sure it has a canopy.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under 200k is still considered low kay, 300k + is high kay
I would say under 100,000km is still low as long as it's less than 15,000km per year of age.

100,000-150,000km is reasonable km as long as it's less than 20,000km per year.

150,000-200,000 is a car on its last legs before if starts going pear shaped. It also needs to be less than 20,000km per year.

200,000km+ is a car ready to give up the ghost, a lottery and gamble regardless of age, km per year etc. Unless you have owned such a car from low km, I'd never touch a car above 200,000km, crazy