Opinion Should Josh Jackson be re-signed when he comes off contract?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can't play on the edge anymore - he's pretty much a passenger out there IMO. Even his best stuff during games now is when he finds himself in the middle. Would be very good for 50 or 60 at lock, but he's done out wide. It's way too early to consider re-signing him, but I wouldn't be leaning that way on his recent form. If he gets to play in a performing team in the next couple of years he might get a second wind in the middle and earn a new contract.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Been out of form for 5 years. So no.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope we dont carry him like we did with tolman. Jackson is getting old and reaching the back end of his career. I wouldnt be giving him a new deal when he comes off contract. We could use his salary on investing in the future of our club

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about we wait till his contract is about to expire before commenting. People riding him off after one bad season. I believe he’s been used wrong.

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love the bloke but on form you couldn’t promise him a starting spot.

The heir apparent for King Tolmans plodder position.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contracted until the end of 2023. I think that'll finish him off. I think he's already showing signs of declining (not saying he's bad or I don't want him). He was great in 2019 but this year was a very bad year for him imo. I'm not sure if he was carrying an injury.
He was carrying a team full of group 6 players

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
No . I bet they said the same thing about James Tamou before this year...Now everyone is queuing to sign him. You don’t just dump rep players because they have a bad year

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reserve judgement see how baz plays him looked frustrated this year

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jacko will give his all as long as He take the park. Always has. Just needs some quality players around him. He can't do it on his own.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Jacko can still play an important role. I would use him at 13 to just tighten up our middle defence and also do the tough carries.

TBaz has said he wants to concentrate on defence and that is Jackos strength. I don't think he is effective as a wide running backrower anymore and i would swap him with Elliott who would offer us more on the edge.

If Tbaz wants Elliott at 13 Jackson might have to play off the bench. I have a feeling TBaz will pick the players that he feels can do the job he wants and i doubt favourites, length of service or the contract $$ a player earns will play any part in his selections.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jacko will give his all as long as He take the park. Always has. Just needs some quality players around him. He can't do it on his own.
I think that sums him up. He has played injured for most of the year as well.
Also he had to do all the tackling for our inept centres. If he get fully fit, and the club has some players
performing at the elite level, he will go ok.
I would also live to see him relieved of the captaincy. That will make it easier for him.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love Jacko, and I'm hoping with some fresh new players around him, new coaching staff and a whole different aura at the club that it lifts him to find some of that old form he had. Bloke has been bog average for several seasons now.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Tols gone Jacko likely gets the long service bonus of $200k/year (which is outside the cap) so that’s possibly ~1/3 of his new 2021-23 contract.

He’s 29. He’s got 3 seasons left in him but hopefully he’s not carrying so much of a load as he has been the last couple of years, physically and mentally. Hopefully with squad and coaching changes he stays fit and has a great couple of years to see him out.
Hope so bro. Be good to see a great clubman stay and not moved on. We need his leadership and experience.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights of Stimson and Waddell. Both good mobile line runners with a step. Solid looking hitters in defence too. If fit can see these two as long term backrowers for the club. Like others have said Jackson should interchange with Elliot in the middle. Probs start Jacko so Elliot can use the ball when fatigue comes into the game. Could retain the C and the VC takes over when off the field. Simples. RFM would likely shift to the middle also from the bench. Our pack looks to be taking shape! Imho.
Can't see Jacko going around again after this contract. He be pretty battered already.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights of Stimson and Waddell. Both good mobile line runners with a step. Solid looking hitters in defence too. If fit can see these two as long term backrowers for the club. Like others have said Jackson should interchange with Elliot in the middle. Probs start Jacko so Elliot can use the ball when fatigue comes into the game. Could retain the C and the VC takes over when off the field. Simples. RFM would likely shift to the middle also from the bench. Our pack looks to be taking shape! Imho.
Can't see Jacko going around again after this contract. He be pretty battered already.
I highly doubt these two are long-term options, Stimson has declined massively since his injury @ Melbourne while Waddell is just you're stock standard bench forward that can play across the pack.

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If you were in a team busting your ass for 4 years with a bunch of rookies and wannabees on big contracts eventually you would slow up too if the team comes with a new attitude this year you will see him lift and be the leader he once was wait and see.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Love Jacko but idk ay see how he goes this year.