Opinion Should Josh Jackson be re-signed when he comes off contract?

Malla

Reaction score
Yes without a doubt. Should not be signed for the same money he is on now.... should sign for a lot less, but definitely bring him back. He's bulldogs thru and thru. I am confident his form will improve now we have a bit of direction under Baz.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another player who has regressed since taking on the captaincy.

Not since Pricey have we had a captain who played the same, if not better, with the C next to their name.

Ryan, Ennis, Graham and Jackson. All follow in a similar path.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Too early to tell.
In a hypothetical scenario where we forget about the contract he has signed, I would not let go of Josh Jackson anytime soon. The club has gone under a massive culture shift and the cleanout of some of the players that have been around the place for a long time (Holland, Montoya, Tolman), the head office cleanout (Dunn, Anderson) and coaching staff cleanout (Georgillas, Pay etc) leaves a lot of uncertainty for the clubs culture.

If we let go of Josh Jackson, I am not sure who is there to lead the younger blokes... he is probably our only forward with the old 'Dogs of War' mentality...

If Josh Jackson leaves, then Hopoate will probably be captain.

But at the end of 2023, yeah probably that will be the end of him.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a player we should all respect, he's given his all for the club, but since he is signed until the end of 2023 on big money he has to be in the team, The best thing Barret can do is play him in a position where he can contribute most, and for the number of minutes which suits him.
IMHO playing 50-60 minutes ay hooker would suite him and the team best.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To early to call.
I believe if Barrett went with Hoppa as captain and gave Jacko 60 mins a game that Jacko could recapture career best form. Whole hearted player with more to give.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
on 201 career games
with max 27 games/year (if we make gf 2021-2023) - he has total 81 games remaining in this contract, which will see him 282 games for the mighty bulldogs - one club player.
however:
1. doubt we'll be making GF 2021 (likely not even 2022 - but maybe deep in finals)
2. he'll likely not play every game at this point of his career - although hasn't missed a game to injury in a very long time
3. may seek an early exit to retire in UK

Would be great for him to hit the 300 club though

Hoping his efforts of the last couple years in a reserves side pay off in 2021, he deserves it.
His 200th game did inspire the team against Souths - and ensured we skipped on the spoon!

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
we have gotten the best years out of Jacko, I think the pressure of captaining and shouldering a losing team for a few years has taken its toll on him. New Coach, New Year, perhaps time for a NEW Captain??

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon he will retire after 2023, I think he would have a bit to offer in terms of coaching or mentoring young players. You can’t coach size or speed into a player but you can certainly change their attitude about, training, rehab, commitment and clubmamship etc which are the attributes we all love about Jacko

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Turns 30 in Jan so 2023 will be more than enough 3 more season's.Great clubman but his impact has declined noticeably and I don't see it coming back in the latter stages of his career.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Curse of the "C". (And no, not c#×t)

When was the last time a Bulldogs captain retired at the club? Not that they have to

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't want to think about this lol

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great clubman,has been a shadow of the player he was,but take a look at the players around him over the last 2 years,and losing every week,some new faces,new coaching setup,I hope he comes back to his best,

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I believe from 2022 he needs to adapt the Mitch Aubeson trait in the sense of playing from the Bench and only starting when needs due to injury or suspension. This will limit his work load and kms in the legs and should extend his career which should make him more impactful in the lesser minutes.

However doubt the team will adapt that philosophy.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Josh Jackson? I reckon his best days are behind him and really don't see the value in paying him 600-700k when there are lot of gun back-rowers out there who are more threatening on the edge. Jackson career reminds me of Nathan Hindmarsh.....gun attacking back-rower to a workhorse slow plodder.
Luke Thompson will be our captain

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Josh Jackson? I reckon his best days are behind him and really don't see the value in paying him 600-700k when there are lot of gun back-rowers out there who are more threatening on the edge. Jackson career reminds me of Nathan Hindmarsh.....gun attacking back-rower to a workhorse slow plodder.
Let him go. He’s well past his best

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It all depends on how much he signs for.
With Tols gone Jacko likely gets the long service bonus of $200k/year (which is outside the cap) so that’s possibly ~1/3 of his new 2021-23 contract.

He’s 29. He’s got 3 seasons left in him but hopefully he’s not carrying so much of a load as he has been the last couple of years, physically and mentally. Hopefully with squad and coaching changes he stays fit and has a great couple of years to see him out.

Last edited:

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
If he's given the 13 and Barrett can work some magic (and less minutes) then I think we will get more value out of him than we have in the last couple of years.

rfs

Waterboy
Reaction score
He needs to be used properly. He's not an edge player, should be used in stints - 40-50 mins a game. He doesn't look like he can break the line or have the footwork to do so. Hopefully Barrett uses him properly, Pay didn't and Georgalis tried.

As for if we should resign him? Ask me in 2 years time, it's way to early HOWEVER no doubt he is not worth the 750k he is on even with his long term player allowance of 100k.