Should i get paid for being made to wait in a room?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
First day at new job last week, shift starts at 6.30am, my agency tells me to be there at 6.10am to be on time whatever that means

So i get there at 6.10am, they tell me to wait in the staff room and someone will get me at 6.30am, waiting around as 6.30 passes, asked someone to see if they forgot about me, eventually someone came at about 7.00am and i started working

They didnt ask me to come back for more shifts and they treated me fairly poorly away from this situation anyway so there isnt anymore need for a good worker/employee relationship, i put down 6.30am on the timesheet thinking i had a good case but they rejected it and paid me from 7.00am

So yes i didnt start work until 7.00am but its not like i could do anything else in the meantime and if they were going to make me sit there unpaid then at least apologise for it, or say something that acknowledges that they were late and i was inconvenienced, especially when i woke up at about 4am

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That sucks.... if the shift starts at 6.30, they should pay you from 6.30.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. Hope the next one works better for you.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That sucks.... if the shift starts at 6.30, they should pay you from 6.30.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. Hope the next one works better for you.
im just waiting for the international airport to really re-open and then ill be back there and im going to start another job this week but im pissed because this company also gave me an unfair evaluation

at my previous job i was the number 1 guy for a year and they changed the target up from 120 items an hour because i was doing about 200, this job was very similar but they didnt even give me a chance and had me sweeping the floors and clearing up boxes, i dont mind that but if they are going to evaluate me then let me do the real job and let me get on a roll

the only problem that i had was they had me load up a truck and paired me up with someone who never used a pallet jack before, so he couldnt park it properly and i had to always fix it, it would have been faster if i did it myself ffs

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
im just waiting for the international airport to really re-open and then ill be back there and im going to start another job this week but im pissed because this company also gave me an unfair evaluation

at my previous job i was the number 1 guy for a year and they changed the target up from 120 items an hour because i was doing about 200, this job was very similar but they didnt even give me a chance and had me sweeping the floors and clearing up boxes, i dont mind that but if they are going to evaluate me then let me do the real job and let me get on a roll

the only problem that i had was they had me load up a truck and paired me up with someone who never used a pallet jack before, so he couldnt park it properly and i had to always fix it, it would have been faster if i did it myself ffs
That sucks, man.... it sounds like they completely understand utilised you, paired you with someone who didn’t really know what they were doing and then to have the audacity to not evaluate you fairly.

I really hope the next job goes a lot better for you, mate. It sounds like you’re a very skilled professional and I’m sorry you had this negative experience during tough times. Hopefully the international airport will open again from mid next year and things will go back to normal a bit.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That sucks, man.... it sounds like they completely understand utilised you, paired you with someone who didn’t really know what they were doing and then to have the audacity to not evaluate you fairly.

I really hope the next job goes a lot better for you, mate. It sounds like you’re a very skilled professional and I’m sorry you had this negative experience during tough times. Hopefully the international airport will open again from mid next year and things will go back to normal a bit.
yes im a very skilled professional ffs, i dont even masturbate at work, i wait until i get home

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yes im a very skilled professional ffs, i dont even masturbate at work, i wait until i get home
No need to kill yourself for your employers. Stress relief is a vital part of the day.

On a serious note though, sounds like you're better off not working there. From what you've said they're probably a company that treats the employee like shit. If they can't organise to show you the job when you get there at a prearranged time it probably also points towards them being poorly organised. Often that's as a result of good workers with any brains leaving because they're treated like shit.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ridiculous. When I was a courier if you got to work at 6:10 am you'd put on your sheet and be paid from 5:45 am ffs

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score

I also recently started a new job. On my very first day, I was told by the TL that I needed to pick up my pace as I was "a bit too slow". Then the manager also said the same thing towards the end of my shift. Then, the agency rang me that night and said the same fukking thing. Mind you there was fukk all training and very little explanation as to how things worked.
I've been in warehousing for a long time now and been a TL for the last 6 or 7 years before being made redundant. So all I needed was a bit of time and patience to learn a new system as expected, but no these carnts have no idea how to manage nor talk to people. But now that I've gained more experience at this place, lo and behold they're happy with my work. fknlol.

Anyway, I feel your frustration.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Professionalism and training has gone downhill in Australia the last 10 years or so, there’s no loyalty anymore being the average shelf life of an employee at a company has decreased severely and that goes for not only the shit kickers but management also. People only work for the money these days not for longevity in their workplace so the care factor is zero amongst all employees given there’s such a high turnover in staff. Blame the government for bringing in so many immigrants and not enough work to cater to the people already living and working in Australia! Work places are toxic these days and it makes it hard for people who actually take pride in their work and show some form of professionalism in what work they are performing. I have always been very thorough in my training of new staff who are under me and shown patience with the ones who want to be there and want to actually work and work well, but have been frequently undermined by people above me who show no interest in supporting and training their staff, but would rather just spend their time kissing their bosses arses just to justify their salary and position! Makes me sick to the stomach, I would recommend you just move on to another company who values your contributions and rewards hard work, even if that reward is just some simple appreciation.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Professionalism and training has gone downhill in Australia the last 10 years or so, there’s no loyalty anymore being the average shelf life of an employee at a company has decreased severely and that goes for not only the shit kickers but management also. People only work for the money these days not for longevity in their workplace so the care factor is zero amongst all employees given there’s such a high turnover in staff. Blame the government for bringing in so many immigrants and not enough work to cater to the people already living and working in Australia! Work places are toxic these days and it makes it hard for people who actually take pride in their work and show some form of professionalism in what work they are performing. I have always been very thorough in my training of new staff who are under me and shown patience with the ones who want to be there and want to actually work and work well, but have been frequently undermined by people above me who show no interest in supporting and training their staff, but would rather just spend their time kissing their bosses arses just to justify their salary and position! Makes me sick to the stomach, I would recommend you just move on to another company who values your contributions and rewards hard work, even if that reward is just some simple appreciation.
The increased casualisation and erosion of conditions has led to a decrease in loyalty to, and from, employees.

It's only going to get worse I'm afraid with the gig economy and rationalisation and low union membership.

In 20 years it seems like no one will have secure, full-time work, so beats me how anyone will qualify, let alone afford, a housing loan.

Times have changed and society moves with that, but it makes me fear for our future generations.