News Should Canterbury persist with Kyle Flanagan? NRL legends urge Bulldogs to 'bite the bullet' after Round 4

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Flanagan always gives 100% and credit to him for that.

Unfortunately for him (and the Dogs) he simply is not good enough. Hard to see him making first grade at any other club.

Time for Ciraldo to try someone other than Flanagan at halfback.
Yes agree. Flannos stats are poor. They have a sizeable potential halves group waiting in NSW Cup. KO, Rajab, Hayward (and also BBO once he’s fit).
I thought it would be 5 rounds before CC pulls the pin. Frankly with several outs in the Cows next week + Dogs home game, I believe it’s now time to give KO (or other) a go, (perhaps even off the bench?). We need some spine strike power.
I really think Flanno would do well in ESL, just like numerous other fringe NRL players have done in the past.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As usual the pendulum has swung back too far, My farthers generation never showed any emotion at any cost Men where not allowed to be over sensitive or emotional and now we have cahunts having a complete mental meltdown if the barista fucks up their soy latte.
This is gold! And super accurate… some “balance” was needed over the course of time, but on the topic of men’s health, it’s great to see it acknowledged since it was considered non-existent - call out to our forefathers and some of our own generations who learned to “suck it up” - and to a large degree, it taught us resilience and absorb sh!t for the family’s sake - but society has not only swung the pendulum to its extreme, the pendulum has swung right off.

I had a disagreement with my daughters school teacher turned netball coach not long ago - the school entered a team into a knockout competition and she made the comment the kids are not here to compete but to have fun - I’m like “when did society give up on kids competing? the kids are having fun, but they also need to learn the art of competition, they’ll grow up competing for jobs or if they own a business, competing with the guy down the road - by the way, you did enter the kids into a *competition*”.

Received by Crickets….

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This is gold! And super accurate… some “balance” was needed over the course of time, but on the topic of men’s health, it’s great to see it acknowledged since it was considered non-existent - call out to our forefathers and some of our own generations who learned to “suck it up” - and to a large degree, it taught us resilience and absorb sh!t for the family’s sake - but society has not only swung the pendulum to its extreme, the pendulum has swung right off.

I had a disagreement with my daughters school teacher turned netball coach not long ago - the school entered a team into a knockout competition and she made the comment the kids are not here to compete but to have fun - I’m like “when did society give up on kids competing? the kids are having fun, but they also need to learn the art of competition, they’ll grow up competing for jobs or if they own a business, competing with the guy down the road - by the way, you did enter the kids into a *competition*”.

Received by Crickets….
The JRL has gone woke too, they want to get rid of finals for jnrs.

Fkn weak.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
You have to laugh at the media's narratives. Last year it was poor Kyle, how could the Bulldogs treat him this way, they've killed his development etc..

Now the same journos are saying he offers nothing, they should drop him and not even consider re-signing him..

I'm sure once he's dropped, the sob stories for Flanagan will start up again..
wasnt that just buzz, crawley and nrl 360 crew?

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Man that dud has me wanting another dud in JR to take his spot FFS.

I don't rate JR at all but he can't do worse than flamingo.
I'd be happy to see JR in at 7 if it meant playing KO off the bench, to make up the minutes JR can't play and slowly get him some experience in first grade.
Maybe I'll eat my words when the roster drops later today but KO will likely be kept in NSW Cup for development and we'll be stuck with Flanno, as our only experienced 80 minute half option (especially with Brown out), for a while yet. At 2/4, I reckon it'll take more losses and poor performances from him before CC considers alternatives. If we eek out another win against a depleted Cowboys this week, that'll only make it worse. :P

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
The JRL has gone woke too, they want to get rid of finals for jnrs.

Fkn weak.
100%, my young guys soccer team last year, I was keeping score and got told by another parent "we don't keep score at this level"..
Be F---cked I do (and for the record un-defeated for the season)
Funny its usually the ones losing that don't want kids to "Compete"..

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan should get named tonight.

I don't think he plays this weekend though. 18th man. Reynolds will be named off the bench, will start this weekend. KO still a few weeks away.

Just my opinion..... 8-)

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
First thing to say is absolutely no one wants Flanno Jnr to fail.

No supporter wants to bag out the guy for no good reason. We want him to succeed. Always have. But it has become painfully obvious that he just doesn't have the required skillset to run a f/g team as a 7.

There would be no doubt whatsoever that opposing coaches when working out a game plan for a game against us would be running guys at him early on to tire him. No surprises there..they do that to all halfbacks.

But the next part of the plan would be put all the firepower you reasonably can to close down our potent left side. They recognise that we have a one dimensional half on the right, with limited skill and enterprise who is unable to keep oppositions guessing.

This in no way excuses Burton who is hot and cold and a passenger for big minutes in a game. His involvement is sub par for a marque, SOO, (Kangaroo) signing.

The team have found a new found resolve and dont crumble like the past few years but tellingly, unless something changes with the effectiveness of the halves controlling the team, and the huge exhausted toll the forwards seem to be absorbing, it wouldn't surprise to see a blow out score sooner rather than later.

I hope Ciro is monitoring this team dynamic very carefully and uses his coaching nous to best effect to counter the shortcomings.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
100%, my young guys soccer team last year, I was keeping score and got told by another parent "we don't keep score at this level"..
Be F---cked I do (and for the record un-defeated for the season)
Funny its usually the ones losing that don't want kids to "Compete"..
Bahahahaha I copped the same shit from a parent from the losing team.

Us dads were talking between ourselves and keeping score, then this "dad" (could of been a mum these days) butts in and says "it's a trial, that's why the scoreboard is off". I just replied "oh, I just thought you guys didn't pay your electricity bill".

Did the trick and we didn't hear from him again lol

PS we won 30-6 lol

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to laugh at the media's narratives. Last year it was poor Kyle, how could the Bulldogs treat him this way, they've killed his development etc..

Now the same journos are saying he offers nothing, they should drop him and not even consider re-signing him..

I'm sure once he's dropped, the sob stories for Flanagan will start up again..

They don't give a toss about Flanagan or any other player for that matter. It's all about putting pressure on the club. Flanagan needs reassurance? Media puts out "dOgS r A FaMiLy cLuB", making the club look bad if they do drop him to NSW Cup. Now we've got Oloapu (and according to ppl who watch NSW Cup here, he's not ready) "Drop Flanagan", so they can make more sensationalist headlines around how we poached a Broncos junior, paid $50 million in transfer fees for the next Thurston (or if he fails, the 'next' Flanagan)

Media are a joke. But Gus knows full well and so does Ciraldo.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Received by Crickets….
Too right.
Im sure we wouldnt know Micheal Jordans name if he wasnt competative and only rocked up for the fun of it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury's loss to the Warriors on Sunday afternoon has raised alarm bells for two NRL legends, with pressure mounting on Kyle Flanagan to retain his spot at halfback.

In a back-and-forth battle, the Bulldogs were unable to secure a third-straight win and fell to the hosts 14-12 at Mt. Smart Stadium.

Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney were forced to orchestrate a lot of the side's attack, but the Dogs were unable to muster up enough points in a dismal attacking display.

The question has now been raised by premiership-winning halfback Greg Alexander regarding the future of Flanagan, who is off-contract at the end of 2023 and is unlikely to earn an extension given the emergence of teenage sensation Karl Oloapu.

“I did say through yesterday’s game that the pressure on Matt Burton is increasing as the season gets longer for him to do everything," he said on SEN Radio.

"He is the runner, the kicker, he looks like he is organising. In terms of threatening the line, if you’re not getting help from somewhere else [it makes it difficult].

"Hayze Perham is a runner not a passer, whereas Kyle Flanagan is a passer not a runner. Matt Burton is trying to do a bit of everything and I think the load is too big on him.

"Do the Bulldogs bite the bullet and put Karl Oloapu in? Maybe."

Oloapu joined the club from the Broncos system and has been a standout in NSW Cup early in the campaign, scoring two tries and producing four try assists, as well as averaging over 100 run metres per game.

In comparison, Flanagan is yet to register a single try assist across the four rounds of the NRL season, while his running game is practically non-existent, leaving his halves partner Burton to shoulder the responsibility.

Storm legend Cameron Smith believes the 25-year-old needs to take ownership for the organisational side of Canterbury's attack, allowing the NSW star to play his natural game.

“He’s not a rookie anymore – he’s been around for quite some time and he’s played 60-odd games...you would like to think that he’s gonna be able to take control of this side," he said on SEN Radio.

Matt Burton is not that style of player that is an organiser and controls their game plan – a bit like Cameron Munster for the Melbourne Storm.

"He is much more dangerous when he hangs out on his left edge and gets an opportunity with retreating defence and quick play-the-balls, that’s when he pounces. He just needs someone there to steer the ship a little bit.

"I think Kyle Flanagan has that ability, but I don’t know if his confidence has been rocked over the past 12-18 months with a few decisions around his career.

"At this stage now, where he has played 60-plus games, you’d like to think that he has the ability to do that for the Bulldogs."

When does Kyle Flanagan's contract end?
Kyle Flanagan signed a three-year deal with Canterbury prior to the 2021 season, which means his deal is set to expire at the end of 2023.

The 25-year-old halfback has been shuffled in and out of the side during his tenure, but has played all four games this year under new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Will the Bulldogs re-sign Kyle Flanagan?
At this stage, Kyle Flanagan is unlikely to sign a new deal with Canterbury.

With the club paying a hefty transfer fee and a bumper salary for teenage prospect Karl Oloapu, the chances of Flanagan extending his time at Belmore and keeping hold of the No.7 jumper are almost zero.

The Cronulla local junior was reportedly shopped to Super League clubs in the off-season, but opted to stay at the Dogs and fight for his NRL career.

Kyle Flanagan 2023 stats
Games4
Tries0
Try Assists0
Linebreak Assists1
Offloads3
Average Run Metres35m
Average Kick Metres76m
Forced Dropouts1
Average Tackles24

Who is Karl Oloapu? Bulldogs young gun starring in NSW Cup
Karl Oloapu is a teenager from the Brisbane system and joined the Bulldogs on a long-term deal prior to the 2023 campaign.

The 18-year-old previously captained the Australian Schoolboys side and is capable of playing both five-eighth and halfback.

Oloapu is seen as the long-term halves partner to Matt Burton at the Bulldogs.
I live for the day when he is no longer at our club as a RL player (which he obviously isn't), some role away from the game would be OK but thats all.
I've been saying it ever since his first few games with us. I believe that this year Ciro or whoever is pulling the strings are only picking him in order to avoid a backlash from commentaters.
He should never have been picked for 1 st grade again since the media appearance following his first droping from the team by TB.
I believe that if the club continued to play him in the CC instead, some club would have taken him of the books and the club would both have saved some money and preformed better on the field.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think CC sees Flanagun as the future 7 for the club or even the 7 we will end the year with. However, its more about, is it the right time to bring KO into the team for the future of the team.

The justification is he can't do any worse than Flanagan well maybe not, but it's not about how we will go in the next few games or even this year. It is about how he will go next year and the year after when they hope the dogs Premiership Window is open, and for the first time since 2014.

Gus has always said we are not after quick fixes, i.e. the way Bennett does it. We are after sustainable performance. We are not happy with just making the 8, and exiting the finals in the first week. We want to be in a position to challenge for the title. We have a real opportunity to have a top 4 spine over the next few years. We need to do whatever is best for that future. If holding the Kid back an extra few games so he gets some additional kinks out, before being subjected to the pressures of first grade, well I think it has merit.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that KO might not be ready.
BTW not that I think he is great or would ever make an NRL HB but IMHO Avo was better than the gun at HB when he played there.
Also the team would'nt lose anything by replacing him with Burns at centre.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@billy beane is this when Cameron Smith supposedly said he doubts Burton is a five eighth? If it isn’t, he basically said what anyone with a modicum of sense believes, that he needs a proper half to contribute so he can play his natural style of game. I can’t see how Smith said this AS WELL as what you reckon he said. He basically likened him to Munster haha.

Maybe you misunderstood Smith, who said, “He’s not a rookie anymore – he’s been around for quite some time and he’s played 60-odd games...you would like to think that he’s gonna be able to take control of this side.” He’s talking about Flanagan here if you didn’t realise.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Give Flanagan till round 8.
The next few weeks we have Cowboy, Rabbit, Eels and Shark. Tough games especially with an under manned forward pack, don't want to throw KO to the wolves straight away.
From round 9 we have Dragon, Raiders, Warrior, Titans then the bye.
Hopefully we have a couple of middles back by then, KO has another month to work on his game in reggies and be ready to debut.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t think we have a better option than Flanno at this stage and that’s just sad. I’d rather Flanno over a Reynolds based purely on his defence. Reynolds is erratic with the ball and can’t tackle. KO is a 6 and isn’t ready for first grade

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle is 25 , played 60 odd NRL games, what we see is all there is. Not sure why people are still expecting improvement .
Also, it makes you wonder how he’s had the career he has so far. He was cherry picked by the Roosters to replace (a legend) Cronk. After one season they wanted nothing to do with him and we took him on. For the majority of his time at Belmore, he’s been picked for first grade. He must train hard and say the right things, but when a player contributes as much as a pot plant would, you have to wonder WHY has he got 60 odd games?!