News Should Canterbury persist with Kyle Flanagan? NRL legends urge Bulldogs to 'bite the bullet' after Round 4

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury's loss to the Warriors on Sunday afternoon has raised alarm bells for two NRL legends, with pressure mounting on Kyle Flanagan to retain his spot at halfback.

In a back-and-forth battle, the Bulldogs were unable to secure a third-straight win and fell to the hosts 14-12 at Mt. Smart Stadium.

Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney were forced to orchestrate a lot of the side's attack, but the Dogs were unable to muster up enough points in a dismal attacking display.

The question has now been raised by premiership-winning halfback Greg Alexander regarding the future of Flanagan, who is off-contract at the end of 2023 and is unlikely to earn an extension given the emergence of teenage sensation Karl Oloapu.

“I did say through yesterday’s game that the pressure on Matt Burton is increasing as the season gets longer for him to do everything," he said on SEN Radio.

"He is the runner, the kicker, he looks like he is organising. In terms of threatening the line, if you’re not getting help from somewhere else [it makes it difficult].

"Hayze Perham is a runner not a passer, whereas Kyle Flanagan is a passer not a runner. Matt Burton is trying to do a bit of everything and I think the load is too big on him.

"Do the Bulldogs bite the bullet and put Karl Oloapu in? Maybe."

Oloapu joined the club from the Broncos system and has been a standout in NSW Cup early in the campaign, scoring two tries and producing four try assists, as well as averaging over 100 run metres per game.

In comparison, Flanagan is yet to register a single try assist across the four rounds of the NRL season, while his running game is practically non-existent, leaving his halves partner Burton to shoulder the responsibility.

Storm legend Cameron Smith believes the 25-year-old needs to take ownership for the organisational side of Canterbury's attack, allowing the NSW star to play his natural game.

“He’s not a rookie anymore – he’s been around for quite some time and he’s played 60-odd games...you would like to think that he’s gonna be able to take control of this side," he said on SEN Radio.

Matt Burton is not that style of player that is an organiser and controls their game plan – a bit like Cameron Munster for the Melbourne Storm.

"He is much more dangerous when he hangs out on his left edge and gets an opportunity with retreating defence and quick play-the-balls, that’s when he pounces. He just needs someone there to steer the ship a little bit.

"I think Kyle Flanagan has that ability, but I don’t know if his confidence has been rocked over the past 12-18 months with a few decisions around his career.

"At this stage now, where he has played 60-plus games, you’d like to think that he has the ability to do that for the Bulldogs."

When does Kyle Flanagan's contract end?
Kyle Flanagan signed a three-year deal with Canterbury prior to the 2021 season, which means his deal is set to expire at the end of 2023.

The 25-year-old halfback has been shuffled in and out of the side during his tenure, but has played all four games this year under new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Will the Bulldogs re-sign Kyle Flanagan?
At this stage, Kyle Flanagan is unlikely to sign a new deal with Canterbury.

With the club paying a hefty transfer fee and a bumper salary for teenage prospect Karl Oloapu, the chances of Flanagan extending his time at Belmore and keeping hold of the No.7 jumper are almost zero.

The Cronulla local junior was reportedly shopped to Super League clubs in the off-season, but opted to stay at the Dogs and fight for his NRL career.

Kyle Flanagan 2023 stats
Games4
Tries0
Try Assists0
Linebreak Assists1
Offloads3
Average Run Metres35m
Average Kick Metres76m
Forced Dropouts1
Average Tackles24

Who is Karl Oloapu? Bulldogs young gun starring in NSW Cup
Karl Oloapu is a teenager from the Brisbane system and joined the Bulldogs on a long-term deal prior to the 2023 campaign.

The 18-year-old previously captained the Australian Schoolboys side and is capable of playing both five-eighth and halfback.

Oloapu is seen as the long-term halves partner to Matt Burton at the Bulldogs.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury's loss to the Warriors on Sunday afternoon has raised alarm bells for two NRL legends, with pressure mounting on Kyle Flanagan to retain his spot at halfback.

In a back-and-forth battle, the Bulldogs were unable to secure a third-straight win and fell to the hosts 14-12 at Mt. Smart Stadium.

Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney were forced to orchestrate a lot of the side's attack, but the Dogs were unable to muster up enough points in a dismal attacking display.

The question has now been raised by premiership-winning halfback Greg Alexander regarding the future of Flanagan, who is off-contract at the end of 2023 and is unlikely to earn an extension given the emergence of teenage sensation Karl Oloapu.

“I did say through yesterday’s game that the pressure on Matt Burton is increasing as the season gets longer for him to do everything," he said on SEN Radio.

"He is the runner, the kicker, he looks like he is organising. In terms of threatening the line, if you’re not getting help from somewhere else [it makes it difficult].

"Hayze Perham is a runner not a passer, whereas Kyle Flanagan is a passer not a runner. Matt Burton is trying to do a bit of everything and I think the load is too big on him.

"Do the Bulldogs bite the bullet and put Karl Oloapu in? Maybe."

Oloapu joined the club from the Broncos system and has been a standout in NSW Cup early in the campaign, scoring two tries and producing four try assists, as well as averaging over 100 run metres per game.

In comparison, Flanagan is yet to register a single try assist across the four rounds of the NRL season, while his running game is practically non-existent, leaving his halves partner Burton to shoulder the responsibility.

Storm legend Cameron Smith believes the 25-year-old needs to take ownership for the organisational side of Canterbury's attack, allowing the NSW star to play his natural game.

“He’s not a rookie anymore – he’s been around for quite some time and he’s played 60-odd games...you would like to think that he’s gonna be able to take control of this side," he said on SEN Radio.

Matt Burton is not that style of player that is an organiser and controls their game plan – a bit like Cameron Munster for the Melbourne Storm.

"He is much more dangerous when he hangs out on his left edge and gets an opportunity with retreating defence and quick play-the-balls, that’s when he pounces. He just needs someone there to steer the ship a little bit.

"I think Kyle Flanagan has that ability, but I don’t know if his confidence has been rocked over the past 12-18 months with a few decisions around his career.

"At this stage now, where he has played 60-plus games, you’d like to think that he has the ability to do that for the Bulldogs."

When does Kyle Flanagan's contract end?
Kyle Flanagan signed a three-year deal with Canterbury prior to the 2021 season, which means his deal is set to expire at the end of 2023.

The 25-year-old halfback has been shuffled in and out of the side during his tenure, but has played all four games this year under new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Will the Bulldogs re-sign Kyle Flanagan?
At this stage, Kyle Flanagan is unlikely to sign a new deal with Canterbury.

With the club paying a hefty transfer fee and a bumper salary for teenage prospect Karl Oloapu, the chances of Flanagan extending his time at Belmore and keeping hold of the No.7 jumper are almost zero.

The Cronulla local junior was reportedly shopped to Super League clubs in the off-season, but opted to stay at the Dogs and fight for his NRL career.

Kyle Flanagan 2023 stats
Games4
Tries0
Try Assists0
Linebreak Assists1
Offloads3
Average Run Metres35m
Average Kick Metres76m
Forced Dropouts1
Average Tackles24

Who is Karl Oloapu? Bulldogs young gun starring in NSW Cup
Karl Oloapu is a teenager from the Brisbane system and joined the Bulldogs on a long-term deal prior to the 2023 campaign.

The 18-year-old previously captained the Australian Schoolboys side and is capable of playing both five-eighth and halfback.

Oloapu is seen as the long-term halves partner to Matt Burton at the Bulldogs.
Those stats are shocking.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have to laugh at the media's narratives. Last year it was poor Kyle, how could the Bulldogs treat him this way, they've killed his development etc..

Now the same journos are saying he offers nothing, they should drop him and not even consider re-signing him..

I'm sure once he's dropped, the sob stories for Flanagan will start up again..

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You have to laugh at the media's narratives. Last year it was poor Kyle, how could the Bulldogs treat him this way, they've killed his development etc..

Now the same journos are saying he offers nothing, they should drop him and not even consider re-signing him..

I have never seen such a shit player get so much media attention. It’s like he is the son of someone really famous but its really not like that at all. Its going to feel good when Kyle Flanagan is finally gone from the club at the end of this year

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The media are clouded by the dark side, my friend. Remember, the dark side of the force is the pathway to manly abilities that some consider to be...unnatural.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I think Flanagan always gives 100% and credit to him for that.

Unfortunately for him (and the Dogs) he simply is not good enough. Hard to see him making first grade at any other club.

Time for Ciraldo to try someone other than Flanagan at halfback.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The effort is there, he just doesn't add anything unfortunately. I do wonder if he's been coached to not play a traditional half back role... but if that's the case, that's the major problem... a half back is the most important position in the team ffs

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

100%

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have never seen such a shit player get so much media attention. It’s like he is the son of someone really famous but its really not like that at all. Its going to feel good when Kyle Flanagan is finally gone from the club at the end of this year
Son of a drug cheat.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Who wrote this?

Seems like the Fox/DT/Newscorpse narrative is changing to embarrrass the club via Flanno Jnr.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We all agree that Flanno is shit but how is Burton not copping some of the heat? They failed to mention that Burton who is playing inside a gun left edge has also yet to register a try assist.
yeah he has been fucking ordinary, but he won't cop too much heat from the media until we have a decent half back, if his current form continues when the halfback issue is sorted that will change IMO.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If he didn't cry in public and the club wasn't worried about more negative press he would of been gone a long time ago.
The old mental health card you reckon bro? Very common these days. And that’s no disrespect to anyone struggling it’s just what happens when someone fails these days. Too easy to blame someone else.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah he has been fucking ordinary, but he won't cop too much heat from the media until we have a decent half back, if his current form continues when the halfback issue is sorted that will change IMO.
It’s easy for teams now to make sure Burto is well marked. Like CS said he’s best work is his running and kicking but there is no other threat. You go into other teams pregame home work during the week and I bet they are talking about pressuring Burto and taking away his space. Nobody is talking about Kyle because he is not a threat.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

For sure and undoubtably “we ruined his NRL career”… Kyle did that on his own despite that he tries hard, he just can’t take his game to the level the NRL commands. If anything, we’re the only club that would have persisted this long. Just remember this, Roosters don’t get rid of prospects.

It may be KO’s turn to showcase his abilities.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The old mental health card you reckon bro? Very common these days. And that’s no disrespect to anyone struggling it’s just what happens when someone fails these days. Too easy to blame someone else.
As usual the pendulum has swung back too far, My farthers generation never showed any emotion at any cost Men where not allowed to be over sensitive or emotional and now we have cahunts having a complete mental meltdown if the barista fucks up their soy latte.