Shit players who become great coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't even think of a great player, great coach.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who is a coach who has changed the way the game is played?.
That's a good coach.
Warren Ryan comes to mind.
Ricky Stuarts brand of footy at roosters was good until everyone caught up.
Players actually make coaches and very rarely the other way around.
Coaches more man management these days.
Wayne Bennett has always had the best players or great teams so doesn't really have much to coach.
He could not produce at Newcastle with ordinary roster but at saints took Boyd and bought weyman to add to already strong roster and cha ching premiership.
Bellamy has been blessed with 2 potential immortal in slater and Smith along with Inglis, cronk but and had unbelievable spine to build around but gets the most out of fringe first graders etc who he gets to buy into culture so would be up there.
The debate is interesting.

Reaction score
A bit unfair on Bellamy. He played over 148 FG games for Canberra and won a premiership. I would classify a shit player as one who couldn't crack FG.
one of the funnier moments i remember about bellamy was the 88 semi where we played the raiders.
bellamy was on the bench waiting to get his moment, when it finally arrives he starts warming up and comes to the sideline in anticipation of getting on.
the guy he was gonna replace cops 10 mins in the sin bin, so bellamy has to sit back down lol

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldnt regard Terry lamb as a bad coach. He won lower grade premierships.
He came unstuck with the Hopoate finger incident, and was white anted by his assistant coach.

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Got to give some coaches BOD
Paul langmack coached souths at a time no coach could have done a better job
Stephen kearney at parra
Whoever coaches Melbourne after bellamy

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
think it comes down to what kind of a player they were, naturally gifted athletes and players that use instinct don't really transfer well to coaching. But less gifted and hard working or someone that was successful because of intellect transfers much better.

Just my two cents

Another take is players that haven't worked their arse off to get there will not have the work ethic to be a successful coach.

Andrew John's for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.