Opinion Shifty

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If shifty was around while we had Morris he would have scored a ton more tries Sherwin was a great player I’m sure having him around will rub off onto the young half’s

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With all the cousins from Bankstown, Punchbowl, and Campsie rocking up and joining in! The only time you see no one gives two shits they're stuck in traffic!
And all the horns keeping up neighbouring suburbs!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We used to get so many repeat sets and scored a heap of tries with Sherwin's short kicking game. Pass on your tricks Shifty.
He also had a really good long kicking game too. Lewis has a big boot so hopefully he’s passing all that on.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould used to call him a little trouble maker with the ball, we need to adopt that and put the ball where its dangerous when conducting attacking raids.
Should be an ok season for the Dogs.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to have him back in the fold. He's still the best halfback we've had in the last 20 or more years.

I'm sure even now he'd probably be the best option we'd have to partner Lewis for this season! I see some similarities between the two players. Both are natural footballers that play whats in front of them and are schemers who direct a team well.

Shifty was the most underrated player of his generation and would have been an Australian and NSW rep from 2002-2004 if it weren't for Johns being around. He doesn't get credit for the skill he had and control he had on his kicks, especially grubbers and his trademark bombs to himself!

He's one of my favourite all time players and that 2004 team is one of the best squads you'll ever see assembled.
I agree with every word of that post

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
An interesting onlooker at Bulldogs training sessions over the past few weeks has been Brent Sherwin. This morning he took the halves for a kicking session. The synergy between Foran Lewis Cogger Wakeham & the now svelte Lichaa distributing from dummy half was impressive!
Kudos Dean Pay & Brent Sherwin
So good to hear... was sad when he left . I remember watching him at the games he was always thinking such a clever player. Hopefully the young guys especially Lewis can learn from him. It is really good news his getting involved it can only be a big plus for us..

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting onlooker at Bulldogs training sessions over the past few weeks has been Brent Sherwin. This morning he took the halves for a kicking session. The synergy between Foran Lewis Cogger Wakeham & the now svelte Lichaa distributing from dummy half was impressive!
Kudos Dean Pay & Brent Sherwin
I have been getting my mates who work with him in the mines to be asking him when he is going to help out the dogs team for about 2 years now. If they don’t grubber at least 5 times in the first game then they haven’t been listening to him at training

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw a little bit of Steve Mortimer when I was pretty young. I know he was good but don't have many solid memories of him playing. But Sherwin is the halfback that I rate as the best that I saw play for us. Pinpoint kicking, the master of the run around play and very quick between the ears.

If he played for us these days the kennel would probably have plenty of negativity from those who think a halfback needs to be an Olympic sprinter. But I'm glad he's contributing his experience towards getting both Lewis and Cogger to a higher standard.
For real? A halfbacks primary role is to organise the attack and conduct set plays!
I know this as I used to play footy as a junior.

A halfback is the pitch maestro!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Also halfbacks are big mouths with short man syndrome who upset quality forwards and make forwards search for new clubs!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Damn right brother, my favourite GF is still 88, as it was the first GF I went to and I really understood what was happening.

95 I was stuck at a Church feast day picnic at Wallacia, I locked myself in the car, radio blaring and flashing lights and leaving my hand on the horn when we scored and won. Drained the battery and copped a flogging from my old man but it was so worth it.

I just can't wait till we win another one so I can share it with my kids, the game and pre/post party at Belmore too lol
I remember the 95 GF. All the men in the family went to my uncles factory in Bankstown and watched the GF on a small 34 cm tv. Then we went back to Belmore... FMD that was something.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Bellmore is awesome in the week leading into Bulldogs GF! Sometimes I think they don't like us winning the GF, Because they know what will happen post GF at belmore, lol....
I remember after the '12 GF there was a group of fans on Burwood Rd just hanging around with their flags etc... no trouble. However there was a wall of cops there making sure nothing happened. We were walking back to my cousins house and my cousin spoke to this tall red-headed Aussie-as cop...

Wahesh's cousin: If those guys step out of line I want you to crack their skulls with your club
Ranga cop: I FUCKEN HOPE SO MATE!!!
Everyone else: :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was living in Botany in 2012... I would say I had to deal with blind Souffs supporters, but that's them every week

Wahesh

Reaction score
I was living in Botany in 2012... I would say I had to deal with blind Souffs supporters, but that's them every week
Spare a thought for me... half my family are Souths supporters :cry:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I loved Shifty but man it cost us what turned out to be the GOAT Thurston ( just reading his book)

Good to see Shifty involved coaching halves

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been getting my mates who work with him in the mines to be asking him when he is going to help out the dogs team for about 2 years now. If they don’t grubber at least 5 times in the first game then they haven’t been listening to him at training
He doesn’t work in the mines- he runs a couple of trucks these days