News Sherwin: It's good to be around the boys

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Should help the young halves a lot. One of our legends. Wonder if he's had much to do with Averillo coming through.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of my all time favourites. He's by far the most creative long term half we've had at the club in my lifetime and it's no coincidence that's the last time we dominated for years on end.

We had so many blowout wins and 40 plus point scores during his prime.. Hopefully Wakeham can be the half that unlocks the teams true attacking potential.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my all time favourites. He's by far the most creative long term half we've had at the club in my lifetime and it's no coincidence that's the last time we dominated for years on end.

We had so many blowout wins and 40 plus point scores during his prime.. Hopefully Wakeham can be the half that unlocks the teams true attacking potential.
I totally agree with your view,he wasn’t the quickest of halves but had fantastic vision
His kicking game along with finding gaps in defence was second to none
Our young halves will hopefully pick up on his knowledge and execute it come round 1

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's fantastic news. But we need him to be at the games running the water doing an Alfie or in the coaches box / sidelines
Tony.G runs the water bucket and sponge
I don’t think his role with the club is that detailed
Almost like a casual helper with words of wisdom

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Wakemup seems to be the closest in playing style to Shifty. He could further develop his short kicks through the line under Brent's tutelage.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
OMeley, Mason or Asotasi coaching the forwards
Sherwin coaching the halves

I'd be a happy man to see that
Agree any of those fellas - tough as teak. Pity they all left the club, particularly Big Willie when he fell out with Folkesy. I’ve never forgotten a quality sign I saw at a game just after he defected to the Chooks, which said ‘Willie was a Dog, he’s now a Cock’. Good gear.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still remember the 2004 GF with him running crossfield, dummying and dummying until he found Hazem who scored the match winner..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shifty..!!! Absolute legend :grinning:

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can't coach how to be footy smart, it's a natrual talent and vision you born with. Hopefully his experience and motivation will rub off on the halfs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see Shifty involved. Hope this doesn't mean we didn't have anyone working with the kickers before he came along, although it does look like that based on our shit kicking game. We need better attacking kicks but we need to find space with our long kicks (at least find the ground) so we aren't defending in our half on the second tackle all the time. Our kicking did improve slightly at the back end of 2019 though so hope that's a good sign that Shifty can help.

Hope he can stop Lewis standing like a statue for eternity before he kicks. It's fucking ridiculous. Decent first grade kickers don't need to do that to get kicks in good spots and it just telegraphs to the opposition what's happening and stuffs our chasers momentum.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can't coach how to be footy smart, it's a natrual talent and vision you born with. Hopefully his experience and motivation will rub off on the halfs
Cooper Cronk was literally molded into the best half in the NRL, you're wrong

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It would be great if Sherwin can give one of our halves the ability to put the ball on a string like he could. I can't recall another Bulldogs half that had his ability to set up scoring opportunities with such a variety of pin point kicking options.
As Brett says they are getting better each week. Lets go back to bad ol Des days. Des had such an ego that he refused to let a skills coach like Sherwin anywhere near the place. As a consequence we had Des ball because neither Mbye nor Reynolds were taught the skills properly.
People harp on about Pay not being a good coach. Isnt part of being the boss knowing when to call in experts? Now it could be Priceys involvement more than Deano in getting Sherwin there...I dont care. If Sherwin can get these pups eager to learn and get them interested in staying behind and practising over and over again then we will have some good attacking halves. Lets not forget Sherwin not only had the ball on a string...it was this ability that often made defenders stand off him and with this extra time he could kick or take the line on himself with great effect.
Finally can Sherwin include JMK and Katoa in these skills sessions as well please because the ability to kick out of dummy half is one of the most critical attacking threats a team can possess. A skill we never possessed when we had Lichaa there.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As Brett says they are getting better each week. Lets go back to bad ol Des days. Des had such an ego that he refused to let a skills coach like Sherwin anywhere near the place. As a consequence we had Des ball because neither Mbye nor Reynolds were taught the skills properly.
People harp on about Pay not being a good coach. Isnt part of being the boss knowing when to call in experts? Now it could be Priceys involvement more than Deano in getting Sherwin there...I dont care. If Sherwin can get these pups eager to learn and get them interested in staying behind and practising over and over again then we will have some good attacking halves. Lets not forget Sherwin not only had the ball on a string...it was this ability that often made defenders stand off him and with this extra time he could kick or take the line on himself with great effect.
Finally can Sherwin include JMK and Katoa in these skills sessions as well please because the ability to kick out of dummy half is one of the most critical attacking threats a team can possess. A skill we never possessed when we had Lichaa there.
By all accounts Pay has been against bringing these experts in and it's only been player feedback that they have. Again, from what's been said in here

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
good timing for Wakeham and co.. This is something the club should have done long ago is get quality halves coaches in.. Reynolds, Mbye and the other guys were like headless chooks out there most of the time

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Good to see him involved. Hes the best half we have had since Lamb. At his peak he was awesome. Best kicker in general play ive seen at the club. We could really use his kicking game now. Also had an excellent passing game. Hopefully he can get our current lot to play like that.

Lewis seems to be bulking up a bit, which is also good.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good to see him involved. Hes the best half we have had since Lamb. At his peak he was awesome. Best kicker in general play ive seen at the club. We could really use his kicking game now. Also had an excellent passing game. Hopefully he can get our current lot to play like that.

Lewis seems to be bulking up a bit, which is also good.
Lewis is over 6' and already 90 odd kgs lol, don't think he really needed to get any bigger as a half.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lewis is over 6' and already 90 odd kgs lol, don't think he really needed to get any bigger as a half.
Some meat on his bones wont hurt. He was a little scrawny when he broke into FG, like a lot of juniors. Dont want him to get too much bigger though or he will lose his agility.