Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Captain... I'm an optimist and I think we are a bask case made of flimsy reeds....at the moment.
Agree mate, but genuinely this board looks like it's doing the right thing, I have all fingers crossed.

Finding out how much DWZ was on and I've found out a couple of other players (all signed under the Andersons), we were 100000% in the basket case category under the Andersons. They used the salary cap as an excuse but they fucked up our cap again by paying overs for bog average players.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is he off contract? Otherwise they'll be paying huuuge freight. Hes on massive money
2023, but halves with his skill set are always hot property. Broncos, Warriors, Sharks and Titans are all in the market I'd guess.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric is a great player. I think he was signed before Barrett got the job. Hetherington has been good. And as much as Elliott pisses me off with his stupid attempts at offload and poor decision making he at least can bust a tackle and takes on the line hard. Waddell and Allan were definitely not required. Flano could still be redeemed if partnered with quality and not forced to kick every set. He at least has vision in attack and has a good passing game but if we get Johnson he has not future at the club.
I'm disappointed cotric hasnt been given a go at right centre. He played 3 games a left centre and hardly got any ball. If you talk to all good centres they like early ball and he certainly didnt get that.

Hoppa wont be here next year so I hate that Baz has persisted with him at right centre. Next year I would like to see Cotric and Naden in the centres and Okonbur and JAC on the wings. Everyone says Cotric is a winger but he played all of his juniors at centre. And its not as though he has been killing it on the wing. He has been ok but not great.

Give him another shot and lets see what he can do

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His long kicking game is about 15-20m short of what is needed.

Lack of depth combined with not finding the grass costs us so much field position.
He finds the line very well when Baz has asked him to do so in order to nullify the wingers. He did it very well against the Panthers, and also against the dragons. He lacks the polish to do it consistently though, and would be better suited to fb where he could be a very useful 3rd string option.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're relying on someone picking up his dad and hoping he takes his son. With sj and burton next year I don't think Kyle will see 1st grade for us again
Most possibly he won't but it's all up to him to fight for his spot but he wants to be a 1st grader so he won't want to hang around. It's a good thing we will have halves fighting for their spot for once rather than thinking they are certainties to play every week. If Flanno is still with us it's not such a bad thing to have this scenario but if he doesn't like it then he'll move on with no harm done to us.

I think Trent is trying to squeeze him out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree mate, but genuinely this board looks like it's doing the right thing, I have all fingers crossed.

Finding out how much DWZ was on and I've found out a couple of other players (all signed under the Andersons), we were 100000% in the basket case category under the Andersons. They used the salary cap as an excuse but they fucked up our cap again by paying overs for bog average players.
The sums have never worked out.

We bought based on 10 million but it was only 9.40 mill. A difference of 600k.

Then factor in the back ended contracts Des/Dib/Rae arranged. How much were they?

But we lost so many players that near on shredded the team for years back to only a few firstgrader quality players and demoralised the players and fans.

Dib and Castle have both denied that the savagery of the slash and burn approach was necessary.

Until the members find out details of that time, no one knows whether the Anderson solution was correct and necessary.

All we know is we are where we are because of the past 2 Boards actions :(

Whilst hopeful, for me the jury is still out on complete confidence in this Board and Baz, as its only minus the Andersons, McIntyre and Dunn, and some of the player choices to date have misfired and look like more millstones around our necks.

Looks like we make some more excuses and need yet more patience till 2022.

Such is life :/

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The sums have never worked out.

We bought based on 10 million but it was only 9.40 mill. A difference of 600k.

Then factor in the back ended contracts Des/Dib/Rae arranged. How much were they?

But we lost so many players that near on shredded the team back to only a few firstgraders and demoralised the players and fans.

Dib and Castle have both denied that the savagery of the slash and burn approach was necessary.

Until the members find out details of that time, no one knows whether the Anderson solution was correct and necessary.

All we know is we are where we are because of the past 2 Boards actions :(

Whilst hopeful, for me the jury is still out on complete confidence in this Board and Baz, as its only minus the Andersons, McIntyre and Dunn, and some of the player choices to date have misfired and look like more milestones around our necks.

Looks like we make some more excuses and need yet more patience till 2022.

Such is life :/
The sums work out perfectly Wendy as long as you (the collective "you", not the personal "you") start from the base that if we hadn't shed players we would have had a Salary Cap number around $13m. The fixation on the $10m versus $9.4m is a minor issue that is next to irrelevant in the overall context, just a smokescreen to divert attention away from the real numbers.

You can arrive at the $13m yourself pretty easily, just take the base of $9.4m (where we ended up) and add what you know of the contract values of the players that we shed.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The sums work out perfectly Wendy as long as you (the collective "you", not the personal "you") start from the base that if we hadn't shed players we would have had a Salary Cap number around $13m. The fixation on the $10m versus $9.4m is a minor issue that is next to irrelevant in the overall context, just a smokescreen to divert attention away from the real numbers.

You can arrive at the $13m yourself pretty easily, just take the base of $9.4m (where we ended up) and add what you know of the contract values of the players that we shed.

Always a Bulldog
You reckon our salary cap would have been 13 million??..

How do you envisage they thought they could pull it off with the sc auditors?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

And as a factual exercise and explanation that you put forward...please can you list the roster at the time and how it could possibly get to 13 million. Seems far fetched and improbable :( but I'm sure we are all keen to see the figures in black and white.

Add on: Not looking to blame or support one Board over the other. I just want some feasible explanation. My only interest is in our team and why we got here and I have no affiliation with any past Board. I support any Board who is going to do good things for the CB Bulldogs.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Look at who we lost, if it was only 10m we would have only had to move on 1 player.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Look at who we lost, if it was only 10m we would have only had to move on 1 player.
That further adds substance to my query.

How do you reckon Dib/Des/Rae thought they would manage to get out of a 13 million roster with the salary cap auditor?

And pls list the roster and money apportioned to each so we can add it up to 13 million.

We need proof, not personal opinions.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must of been the worst thirteen million spent in NRL history. Even with all those players and Des as head coach we’d struggle to make the eight. I mean even in 2017 we looked way past it. I could only envision a rapid decline with a similar squad a year later.
What the hell is wrong with us?! We haven’t had an Australian spine player in how long?!

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory our thirteen million dollar spine would have looked something like-

1) Hoppa
6)Reynolds
7)Mbye
9)Lichaa

Funny- that literally looks like the worst spine in NRL history. Something very wrong in Canterbury town.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Must of been the worst thirteen million spent in NRL history. Even with all those players and Des as head coach we’d struggle to make the eight. I mean even in 2017 we looked way past it. I could only envision a rapid decline with a similar squad a year later.
What the hell is wrong with us?! We haven’t had an Australian spine player in how long?!
I mean exactly. The roster at the time didn't even approach anything remotely comparable to a premiership winning team yet we are told to believe we were paying 3.6 million more than we were allowed?

As I said, the figures and statements and fire sale actions, just dont adequately add up or explain what's happened to our club.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must of been the worst thirteen million spent in NRL history.
Wrong - Parramatta cheated the cap and still got the spoon, that would have to be the worst. If you're going to cheat the cap, at least make sure you win something (like Melbourne)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Where is 13 million??? :(

2018 Predicted Lineup
  1. Moses Mbye
  2. Brett Morris
  3. Josh Morris
  4. Moses Suli
  5. Will Hopoate
  6. Fa’amanu Brown
  7. Kieran Foran
  8. Aaron Woods
  9. Michael Lichaa
  10. Aiden Tolman
  11. Josh Jackson ©
  12. Adam Elliott
  13. David Klemmer
    INTERCHANGE
  14. Rhyse Martin
  15. Clay Priest
  16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  17. Greg Eastwood
Coach: Dean Pay

Reserves: John Olive, Danny Fualalo, Matt Frawley, Kerrod Holland.

The Big Question: Will new coach Dean Pay loosen the chains ex-coach Des Hasler placed on this football side?

Predicted Finish: 13th

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
How sad have our signing and resignings been for 2021 .
The five signings by Barrett have totally misfired and offered very little individually and collectively.
Cotric-underwhelming
Flano-Reserve grader
Waddell-weak as piss
Hetherington-too many penalties in him
Allan-underwhelming
Elliott resigning dud decision
Me thinks close two million Barrett just threw in the bin with these decisions.
Come on everyone thought flano was the next Cleary.
Waddell was a meh
Elliot the idiot people still praise him
Allen killed it at south’s
So it wasn’t bad to start with but yeah shit happened.