Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need experience in the spine and points, end of.
Johnson has only played a handful of finals games in his career. Everyone goes on about his experience but he's never been a reliable or consistent player. I'd prefer to stick with Averillo in the halves for half the cost.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But he can't reneg and we are left with a disgruntled player.. whether he or Avo who wants to also play in The halves..

This Johnson thing stinks of headaches tbh
i see your point mate..but i think almost definitely Baz wants Matty in the halves and thats non negotiable and IF SJ comes over Avo shifts to FB..with Baz's blessing i'm assuming.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Johnson has only played a handful of finals games in his career. Everyone goes on about his experience but he's never been a reliable or consistent player. I'd prefer to stick with Averillo in the halves for half the cost.
Johnson
201 FG games
1 Grand Final
32 Tests

Burton
18 FG games

Averillo
25 FG games

If it's for 500k, it makes a lot of sense

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Johnson
201 FG games
1 Grand Final
32 Tests

Burton
18 FG games

Averillo
25 FG games

If it's for 500k, it makes a lot of sense
Only if Averillo is guaranteed a spot at fullback. If not, I'd rather persist with Averillo in the halves than risk losing him for two years of Johnson when we're still a fair way off contending anyway.

Like I said, despite playing over 200 games, Johnson still makes bad errors and stupid decisions like any young half would.

I'm not saying Johnson is a bad player. He's always been talented. It's more about potentially losing Averillo or screwing up his development when he's showing great signs in the halves and gets better every game.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Only if Averillo is guaranteed a spot at fullback. If not, I'd persist with Averillo in the halves than risk losing him for two years of Johnson when we're still a fair way off contending anyway.

Like I said, despite playing over 200 games, Johnson still makes bad errors and stupid decisions like any young half would.
I think he will be. My take on Averillo as soon as we'd signed Burton was to put him at Fullback this year (thinking it would be Burton, Flanagan next season) to get those k's in his legs.

The concern now is the fitness he's going to have to find to be effective there next year, plus the learning curve on both sides of the ball.

Worst case scenario will be that it's a longer project than anticipated - which is really possible in which case what's the back up plan? Allen I guess?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think he will be. My take on Averillo as soon as we'd signed Burton was to put him at Fullback this year (thinking it would be Burton, Flanagan next season) to get those k's in his legs.

The concern now is the fitness he's going to have to find to be effective there next year, plus the learning curve on both sides of the ball.

Worst case scenario will be that it's a longer project than anticipated - which is really possible in which case what's the back up plan? Allen I guess?
he is playing both sides at 7 now, this will help him at fullback in attack for next year. If Latrell can handle fullback then Avo has the fitness, will just need to learn defensively at 1.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Yeah exactly. We don't know how Averillo will go at fullback. Theoretically he should do well but it's a lot of extra running and completely different responsibilities defensively, especially under the high ball.

I still think that the Fox might get first shot at fullback although if we signed Johnson, that might change things.

I've always been a fan of Johnson and it would be a reasonable deal at 500k. But I think we'll be as good short term and much better long term with Burton and Averillo. I think once Burton plays in the halves week in week out, he'll go to another level and show he's a dominant half sooner than people think.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets be real, we would be paying him 400K on the books and probably another 300K through 'other means'. Still a good signing tho.
Laundy's financing the other means and doesnt affect our cap, so by all means, empty those pockets Mr Laundy. Give B Smith one of ya pubs if it gets him over the line!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
he is playing both sides at 7 now, this will help him at fullback in attack for next year. If Latrell can handle fullback then Avo has the fitness, will just need to learn defensively at 1.
I'm not convinced it'll be that simple but I'm happy and hopeful to be proven wrong

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it'll be that simple but I'm happy and hopeful to be proven wrong
the thing in his favour is that he a fullback playing 7 not the other way round imo

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Avo was never front and centre in the halves anyway really when Barrett bought Flanno.

If Flanno had worked out, Baz must of had other plans for Avo when he got Burton ?

It was always going to be Flanno 7 and Burton 6.

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Also having JAC and Cotric as his wingers should help with confidence
100% , the other option is JAC at fullback, he said he played alot of centre and fullback he stated in a interview as a junior also

Reactions: ATT

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serving all these Millenials, Gen Y renovators? Are you kidding :grinning:
They wouldn’t have a clue you could just about give any old advice.
I’m sure a tradie will come at the end to fix f.... ups.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even Baa would have struggled without an experienced half beside him. We need to give Burto the best possible support.
Baa didn't do too badly in his debut year working with Alan Neil who had 10 games to his name beforehand.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned that if SJ didn’t play the Sharks game we would’ve have lost. So I guess in that instance he’s already working for us.